Father's Day

Father's Day

 

Dear Daddy,

 

Happy Father's Day! I hope you can read this letter because all of the kids at school told me that they can't read my handwriting.

Everyone said that they were drawing pictures and buying presents, but no one said they were going to write a letter. You always tell me that I'm special, and I like it when you say that, so I am writing this letter. My teacher said I was good at writing too, but I'm kind of nervous because she didn't help me write this.

Daddy, I love you so much and you always make me really happy. You hug me every time you come home from work, and when it rains you get really worried. It's kind of funny even though it isn't supposed to be, but I know that you just love me that much. Whenever someone at school makes fun of me, you always make me feel better, and I think that's why I still like going to school. Sometimes I get mad at you when you say I can't see Mommy, but I think I understand, and I'm sorry for getting mad. You always look really sad when I yell at you. You work really hard to make money so I can take dance lessons too. You always try to hide it when you're tired from work, but I can tell. You know why? Because I'm your daughter, silly goose!

I always see kids at school with their mom, and sometimes I wonder what it feels like to have a mom. But after a couple of minutes, I stop wondering because you are like a mom AND a dad to me! You're so cool that I would rather have just you as a dad then have a normal mom and dad. Is Mommy as awesome as you are? Because if she is, I have the BEST PARENTS EVER! My friends should be jealous of me. Because of your coolness, I get just as much love and attention as everyone else at school. Even though they tease me for not having a mommy, it's okay because I have you.

I love you, Daddy! Thank you! Happy Father's Day again!

 

Your lovely daughter,

Gong Minji

 

       Jiyong finished reading the letter out loud, unconsciously wiping a tear. He didn't notice when another one took its place.

       "Our daughter is great, isn't she? She wrote that letter for me for Father's Day, all by herself while I was at work." Jiyong looked back down at the letter, smiling lightly and skimming over the cutely scrawled words with proud eyes. "I hope you know why I keep her from seeing you. I just don't want her to be sad, that's all." He gently her smooth locks, looking at her beautiful face.

       "You know, Minji loves dancing now. I have to work a little extra to pay for her lessons, but it's all worth it. You should see her face when she's getting ready to go to the dance studio. I never even knew it was possible for someone to look so happy." Another tear slowly rolled down his cheeks as he gazed at her. "Her smile reminds me a lot of you. She's my own little ray of sunshine when she smiles. Just like you. Now I have two rays of sunshine. A little one and a big one." Jiyong chuckled to himself at the thought.

       He lovingly traced her delicate features with his fingers, smiling bitterly. "I miss you, Dara. A lot. It's been six years. Don't you want to wake up? Can't you come back to me? To us? Minji really wants to meet you, and I know that you would get along so well. You guys would be like two best friends in the fifth grade. Minji's a lot more mature than a first grader, I know. You, on the other hand...I guess you act the age you look. So fifth grade is about right." Jiyong laughed out loud, savoring the rare feeling of genuine happiness that he hardly felt these past six years. He took a deep breath, swallowing hard to suppress the oncoming waterfall of tears. He looked at her sleeping face and his heart broke into a thousand pieces for the thousandth time.

       "I love you, and Minji loves you too. When will you wake up?" he asked, eyes and voice full of desperation. The only reply he received was a mechanic, constant beeping of an electrocardiogram.

       "I miss you."

       BEEEEEPP

       A long, red line split the machine's display in two, extending out to pierce his heart.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~