Chapter Three

From the Future

You weren't sure how much time had passed before you began choking from your laughter and had to sit down in the grass to drink water.

"You have got to be kidding me," you said between sips. "You know, you could be some first class criminal if you can lie to people like that."

A smile began to appear on your face, but it immediately disappeared when you looked up at Taehyung. Although he had already looked serious before, his face was now covered with a look of distress. His eyes were shut tightly and he let out several deep breaths as he rubbed his neck.

After a minute or so, you finally spoke up. "Um.... Sorry if I hurt you feelings when I said that you would be a really great criminal. I wasn't lying, you know," you said quietly.

Taehyung stopped pacing and turned toward you as a hint of a smile appeared on his face. He slapped your arm lightly before propping himself down next to you, taking extra care to avoid the wet patches of grass and mud.

"Silly you. That's not what I'm frustrated about." He sighed and leaned back on his arms before resuming. "You're the only one that I can get help from. I can't tell my parents. They'll ship me off to a mental hospital before I even know it. If I go to my grandma, she'll just tell me to write this 'marvelous story' down and get it published." He paused. "Although I might be able to ask Jin."

Your head perked up at the sound of an unfamiliar name. "Jin?"

"Yeah, he's my best friend. And he was, or will be, the best man at our... wedding." He smirked, emphasizing the last word of the sentence. "Fun times."

"Our what?" You turned your head to look at him and caught him wriggling his eyebrows comically.

"You'll see when you -- or we -- get there in a few years."

You rolled your eyes. "Let's get back on topic, shall we?"

"Alright, alright. Jin. He's a pretty cool guy. Really handsome too. I'm pretty sure every girl I knew had a crush on him at some point in their lives. Except for you. You always treated him more like an older brother and a punching bag rather than a potential love interest."

You raised your eyebrows at the remark, but did not interrupt him.

"Anyway, Jin doesn't go to this school. I know him because our parents were close friends in college. If I go find him, he'll probably be able to work things out with my family so I won't have to go home and face them on school breaks. Are you cold?"

You eyed him strangely. "Why are you asking me that?"

"Because you've been shivering for a while now." He swiftly removed his uniform jacket and laid it over your shoulders.

You hadn't even noticed the temperature. You blushed in embarrassment and lowered you head, suddenly glad that it was dark outside. "Thanks."

"Well, I'm exhausted so that's enough for today." He stood up and brushed his pants off before holding out his hand to help you. "Oh, and help me with some of my books, please?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When you finished stacking the books into a gigantic, neat pile on the front steps, Taehyung reached his hand out. "Phone, please."

You watched as he typed something into the device.

"Tomorrow's Saturday. I assume that you don't have any extracurriculars on the weekends or upcoming tests that you need to study for, so let's meet at the front gate at 10AM. I set a couple of alarms and put my number in." Taehyung declared as he handed the phone back to you. He bent down and carefully transferred the books into his arms. Letting out a grunt, he lifted the pile and smiled at you.

"Oh, hold on. I need to return this to you." You started to pull his jacket off of your shoulders, but he stopped you. "It's fine. Just give that to me tomorrow. I won't be needing it for the rest of the night anyway."

You were about to protest, but you suddenly noticed how tired you were. "Alright," you said reluctantly. "Good night."

"Night, Miyeon. See you in the morning."

You closed the door behind you and ran up to your room on the second floor. You quickly dropped your belongings on the bed and rushed over to look out the window. Taehyung was still standing at the front of your building, looking up at you. When you shooed him away, he shifted his books into his left arm, waved with his free hand, and smiled goofily before turning and walking away. You didn't stop watching him until he turned the corner.

 


 

I'm so sorry about the slow updates! It's been over a year since I posted chapter 2. Please forgive me for neglecting the story :(