Species

Differences ; Impossibilities

 

1st Chapter

 

The room was dark and the sunlight that was seeping through the curtains was enough to help me recognize the new room. I haven’t got the chance to clean and dust particles could be seen floating in the room. I sat up on my bed and looked around. 

The thought of living in a pile of dust disturbed me after a few minutes and I finally made an effort to actually stand up from my comfortable bed. I switched on my light and inwardly groaned. The room which was clean when I first came in was in mess

Boxes, magazines that I read last night and the snacks that I had while watching the TV yesterday was all over the floor. A sigh was heaved out and I tied my hair in a loose bun.

I finished cleaning the whole room after almost an hour. I was too lazy to unpack so I lined up the boxes against the wall. “I could do it later.” I muttered to no one and dragged myself out of the room.

The apartment was small since I’m living alone. Apart from being rushed and there were so many things that should’ve been done, I was actually feeling great to finally have an independent life.

A new semester's  starting in a few weeks and I need to find extra jobs to pay the bills. 

 

 

I was dressed up in a simple pair of black jeans and wore a hooded shirt.Well, I'm actually dressed down but oh well.   I was really lazy to go through the boxes and took whatever I saw first. It was such a sunny day that I shouldn’t just let a fine day pass by without me enjoying it.

After making sure that the door beeped, indicating that I locked the door, I used the elevators to go down. The wind hit me as soon as I got out of the apartment and I regretted of not choosing a thicker clothes.

The street was crowded and I knew that most of them are not humans. I could easily differentiate the differences between the dead and the living ones. Having this gift was not easy. The strength not to break down from seeing the hurt and lost expressions on their faces was almost impossible.

I halted in my tracks as I stood in the middle of the street, fixing my gaze on a figure. I walked closer and I could actually feel the pain as I walked closer and closer. Her long hair was covering her face as she crouched down on the ground. I could see the visible wounds on her arms.

The white dress she wore didn’t help to cover the bruises on her legs. She felt it; my heavy aura and looked up. Her eyes widened upon seeing me approaching her and she made a move to run away.

“Don’t run.” I said softly. I glanced around and found that I was in an empty park, apart from a few people who was relaxing under the sun. “I won’t hurt you.” I said again to reassure her.

She calmed down and her shocked faced was replaced with a curious one. “You … you can see me?” She stuttered. I crouched down in front of her and nodded. I looked into her eyes and the hurt she was feeling inside was so strong that my brain started to feel a twinge of pain.

“What are you doing here?” I asked. She looked around and furrowed her eyebrows. “I … I don’t know.” A soft smile appeared on my face as I figured what she was going through.

“Who did that to you?” I asked which was useless really since ghosts don’t really remember what happened during their past lives without a help. She shook her head and muttered a soft, “I don’t know.” But that doesn’t mean that they don’t remember anything, at all.  

“You were hurt, badly.” I said as I looked into her eyes. Images flashes trough my mind and it hurts so bad that I shut my eye quickly. I’ve went through this a lot but still I still couldn’t get used to the pain that I felt whenever I does it.

“A man … brown hair.” I muttered once the images disappeared from my head. “Round spectacles, bulky body … a scar on his cheek.” I continued on listing the characteristics of the figure that showed up in my head.

“My father.” If I wasn’t listening properly I would’ve missed what she said. I stood up and looked at her with a smile. She doesn’t really need my help after remembering these things. Ghosts have to help themselves to get out of the world. And I was just there for them to make it easier.

The pain that I saw in her eyes lessened and made a move to walk away. “You know where to find me.” I said before walking away.  I hate this so-called gift but I couldn’t help myself feeling satisfied after helping another soul.

I wandered around the city, not actually knowing where I was heading to but I didn’t care. I snapped out of my trance as I suddenly felt being pulled back and fell down on the hard ground.  It hurt a lot and I turned around to look at the culprit.

A grey haired boy could be seen walking away casually from where I was sitting. My eyebrows furrowed wondered how the hell he could knock me down when he’s a ghost.

The light that was surrounding him told me more than enough that he wasn’t human. The feeling that I felt before I fell was the same feeling that I get whenever ghosts walk through me but how can he knock me down? Ghosts couldn’t touch humans; they couldn’t even lay a finger on humans without it passing through the human like air.

“Who are you?”