The School Fair

Polaroids and Other Things

            “I hate today so much why do I live in this country? Luhan drawled out as he attempted to salvage the last few drops of his water bottle. “And most importantly, why don’t we any damn shade for our fair booth? Isn’t it 2013 already?”

 

           Kris clicked his tongue at the incessant complaining. “ it up, Luhan. Your fair shift ends in like, what, twenty minutes?”

 

           Luhan whined and pushed his hat further down his head to cover his entire face. He loved going to the annual school fair, seeing as how it was his own form of escape from all the deadlines and readings piling up for the year-end of school. However, he absolutely dreaded manning fair booths as it took too much time out of the day, according to him, and that he hated dealing with bratty grade schoolers complaining whenever they didn’t win any prize.

 

           Just then, a young boy who couldn’t be older than seven approached the booth holding a red balloon in one hand and a plastic bag full of candies in the other.

 

           “Welcome to 4C’s Prison Booth! How can I help ya?” Kris cheerfully greeted to the kid as he bended down to equal the kid’s height.

 

           “Hi, mister! Can you please catch my sister for me?” the child asked as he chews onhis gum.

 

           “Sure thing! Mind telling me how your sister looks like?”

 

           The child and Kris continued on with their banter until Kris sent off one of the booth’s assigned catchers to active duty.

 

           “Thank you, misters!” the child thanked as he handed twenty fair chits to Kris.

 

           The two watched as the kid ran off to another booth, b with energy.

 

           “Wished life was simpler. Now we’ve got college apps to worry about.” Luhan sighs. Kris chuckled and pats Luhan on the head.

 

           “Have you seen Sehun here yet?” Kris inquired.

 

           Luhan narrowed his eyes in suspicion. “Nice topic change.”

 

           “We’ve got another catcher on duty. Just saying.” Kris unsubtly suggested with a shrug.

 

           Oh right. Yeah. That could actually happen. Luhan pretended to think with a serious face for a few more seconds till he huffs in defeat.

 

           “Fine.”

 

           “There you go.” Kris sticked his hand out to Luhan and did a flapping motion. “Pay up.”

 

           Luhan gives it without saying anything.

 

**

 

           Luhan and Kris watch as Jongin entered the fair booth. His forehead and neck were drenched in sweat from all the running and escaping from the catchers. His t-shirt was also sticking to his chest, which Luhan ogled at without shame. 

 

           When Jongin entered within vicinity of the two, Kris started to poke Luhan in the ribs, which Luhan swatted away.

 

           “Go,” Kris whispered.

 

           “Later!” Luhan loudly whispered back.

 

           “Hyung?”

 

           Luhan looked towards Jongin, who was currently caged in the booth’s prison made of wooden posts.

 

           “Oh!” Luhan pretended to exclaim with an equally fake chuckle. “You’re here!”

 

           Kris glared at Luhan.

 

           “Mind getting me ou-”

 

           “No.” Kris interjected.

 

           Luhan glared at Kris, whom raised his hands and walked away.

 

           “It’s only fifteen minutes,” Luhan said with a sigh as he grabbed a monoblock chair and sits outside the cage in front Jongin, who was currently standing up. He wiped off the forming beads of sweat on his forehead.

 

           As Luhan sat down, he spots Xiumin and Jongdae a few meters away looking at the both of them. Xiumin winked when he and Luhan established eye-contact, while Jongdae politely nodded and mouthed a good luck.

 

           “So, hyung,” Jongin began. Luhan brought his attention to Jongin, who was looking at him intensely. Luhan swallowed his throat, still not used to Jongin’s direct gaze. “Are you watching the variety show later night?”

 

           Luhan slightly tilted his head in thought. He promised Kris and Tao that he’d watch the show with them later, but he was sure they wouldn’t mind if he went off to watch with Jongin instead.

 

           “Yeah, actually. Are you gonna watch with friends?” Luhan inquired.

 

           Jongin scratched the corner of his mouth and chuckled shyly. “Um, actually I was wondering if you wanted to watch the variety show. With me.”

 

           Luhan let out a breath he didn’t knew he was holding and grinned widely. “I’d love to! You’ve got my number anyway, right?”

 

           Jongin nodded his head excitedly. “I do! I’ll text you an hour before the variety show begins, okay hyung?”

 

           “Alright!” Luhan replied. He took a peek at his phone to check the time. “You’ve got around a few minutes left before you’re free to go, by the way.”

 

           “I wouldn’t mind staying longer as long as it was you.” Jongin breathed lowly to himself.

 

           “What?”

 

           “What?”

 

           “You said something, Jongin?” Luhan furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

 

           “Nothing, hyung!” Jongin smiled.

 

           Kris walked up to Luhan and Jongin. “Hey Jongin, time’s up. You’re free to go now.”

 

           Luhan handed out a Caught Slip as Jongin exited the cage. As their fingers touched, Luhan felt electricity shooting up his arm and flinched his arm in response.

 

           Jongin noticed Luhan’s flustered response. “You okay, hyung?” Jongin asks.

 

           “Y-yeah. Be sure to text me before the show, alright?”

 

           “Mmhm. See you! And you too Kris-hyung!” Jongin said before walking out of the booth.

 

           Kris frowned at Luhan’s giddy smiling face watching the retreating figure.

 

           “You guys are so gay,” Kris said to Luhan, but didn’t respond or bite back as he was too busy thinking of Jongin.

 

           Kris smacks Luhan out of his reverie and pulls out his phone from his back pocket to text his boyfriend, Tao.

 


a/n:

this chapter's relatively short because it'd be too boring if i dragged out this scene too much. plus the next few chapters are going to be a lot more eventful yaknow??

 

oh and guys *sweats nervously* i really appreciate if you guys left comments because the more you guys comment the more i can improve on my writing because this is literally my first fic yEAH ok

 

oh and i have school now so updates might come a bit slower depending on my workload each day. so just be patient and subscribe/comment/vote so i get motivated to update faster wow im definitely not desperate for these kinds of stuff huh alright im talking too much