The Canteen

Polaroids and Other Things

            Luhan and Xiumin were at the school canteen enjoying the dinner that was  provided by the organizers of the showcase. Kris and Tao were at one of the food stalls buying drinks. Not a lot of people were in the school canteen for most of them had to chosen to go out to eat or celebrate.

 

            “I’m actually glad you prodded me to go the showcase,” Xiumin thanked.

 

            Luhan smiled and nodded as a form of welcome. “Our school dance group is really skilled anyways. I’m not surprised the showcase was really good.”

 

            “Hey,” Xiumin hesitantly asked. Luhan tilted his head at his question. “Don’t you feel a bit bad that you haven’t seen Jongin ever since the showcase ended?”

 

            Luhan shook his head with a fond smile. “Nah. He’s probably celebrating with his team. Wouldn’t wanna take the happy away from.” Xiumin slightly frowned.

 

            Kris and Tao arrived with drinks in tow. “Hey,” Kris greeted. Tao set the drinks on the table and sat down, taking a can of soda and opening it.

 

            “The dance showcase was awesome!” Tao commented.

 

            “Yixing was the one who choreographed it all.” Kris ruffled Tao’s hair before he sat down beside him and grabbed a soda from the table. “He told me they’ve been practicing for the showcase since the start of semester.”

 

            “Wow.” Luhan uttered, completely impressed. Xiumin’s mouth was formed an ‘o’ shape.

 

            They ate in comfortable silence for a few minutes until Kris cleared his throat, grabbing the attention of the other three people.

 

            “So, Luhan,” Kris asked. “How was Jongin dancing?” 

 

            Luhan exaggeratedly gagged on his drink and placed it on the table. “He was, uh, he was good.” Luhan said. Xiumin waggled his eyebrows at him, and Kris and Tao exchanged knowing smiles at each other.

 

            “Luhan-hyung!” All four of them turned to the mentioner of the name. It was Jongin who at the entrance of the canteen. Alone.

 

            “Why do I feel like this happened before?” Tao asked himself.

 

            “Hey Jongin!” Luhan shouted back. “Congrats on the showcase!”

 

            Jongin excitedly ran to the table where the four were sitting. Luhan noticed his breath was heavy and a slight sheen of sweat was covering his forehead.

 

            “You were amazing, by the way,” Luhan commented. Xiumin snorted a bit too loud at Luhan’s statement, having experienced enough PDA from the other two before the showcase.

 

            Luhan heard this and flustered a slight pink. Jongin didn’t seem to notice. “Uh, I meant amazing performance. Yeah.” Luhan corrected.

 

            “Thank you, hyung! It means a lot.” Jongin’s smile was reaching his ears now. He was in a really good mood. “Hyung, um, can I talk to you for a bit?” Jongin asked shyly, habitually scratching the back of his neck.

 

            “Oh, sure.” Luhan stood up and nodded at his friends. Tao did a thumbs up and Kris winked at him. Xiumin made a “D” sign with his two hands while biting his lower lip mischievously, which earned him a scolding kick to the shin by Kris.

 

            “Second time man!” Xiumin complained quietly while rubbing the offended area. Kris shushed him.

 

            “Come on, let’s go hyung.” Jongin said and walked to the exit.

 

            Luhan was a bit nervous as he was walking outside. What could he possibly want? He asked to himself while fiddling with the hem of his shirt in slight anxiousness. He was staring at the ground while they were heading towards the exit.

 

            When they reached the outside of the canteen, both of them stopped walking. 

 

            “Hyung,” Jongin called. 

 

            Luhan looked up to see him also a bit nervous. Jongin was shifting slightly back and forth on the balls of his heels while holding his hands together in front of him.

 

            “I’m really glad you went, hyung.” Jongin smiled shyly. “I felt really happy when you cheered for me.” 

 

            Luhan could see that Jongin was lowering his head a bit while looking at his hands. His cheeks were also a bit red.

 

            “You’re welcome, Jongin.” Luhan replied in welcome, his nervousness washing away. “You were really good. Lots of people cheered for you also.” This guy deserved a lot more credit than he gave himself, Luhan believed.

 

            They shared an awkward silence for a few seconds. Jongin was still shifting back and forth, trying to work up the courage to ask something.

 

            “Luhan-hyung, I was, um, wondering...” Jongin muttered quietly.

 

            “Y-yeah, Jongin?” 

 

            “I.. uh....” Jongin sputtered quietly. He was directly looking at the ground now, completely avoiding Luhan’s eye-contact.

 

            “Jongi-

 

            “Doyoumindifwecanhangoutsometime?” Jongin sputtered in an extremely fast manner. It took a while for Luhan to process what he had just said, and when he did, he blushed furiously.

 

            “W-what?” Luhan replied. You’re like definitely so senior-cool right now, man. Luhan told himself.

 

            “I mean of course if you don’t want to hang out it’s okay like we’re one year apart anyway so you have your own friends and I have my own frie-

 

            “I’d love to, Jongin.” Luhan said with a huge grin. He calmed Jongin by holding onto his shoulders because he was already rocking back and forth really fast.

 

            Jongin widened his eyes at Luhan. “Really?” 

 

            “Yes.” Luhan smiled.

 

            “Oh, okay!! Thanks so much hyung!” Jongin closed the distance between him and gave him a tight hug.

 

            Luhan’s heart starting beating really fast from the close contact. His breath was growing heavier, and he was definitely enjoying the feel of Jongin’s comforting.

 

            Jongin quickly backed off, realizing what he had just done. “Oh my God I’m so sorry!”

 

            “It’s okay,” Luhan assured.

 

            Luhan smoothed out his shirt, closed his eyes took a deep breath. It’s now or never, better ask for it now.

 

            “Can I have your number, Jongin?”

 

            “Oh, of course, hyung!” Jongin reached his back pocket and pulled out his phone to give to Luhan. “Give me your phone too.”

 

            Luhan handed him his phone. When he opened Jongin’s phone, the background was of both of them at the beach. Luhan smiled, remembering it being the photo he first took with Jongin at the beach. He decided not to point it out to save both himself and Jongin from further awkward stammering. It was getting out of hand already.

 

            After saving his phone in Jongin’s contacts, he locked it and gave it back to Jongin, who was also done saving his number.

 

            “Here ya go. Let’s see each other soon.” Luhan suggested.

 

            Jongin nodded excitedly, feeling victorious over his newly saved contact. “See you too! I gotta go now, hyung. I’m gonna eat out with my friends!” They exchanged their goodbye greetings and Jongin bowed before leaving.

 

            As Luhan walked back to his friends who were eating and chatting with each other, he opened his phone to look at his new contact.

 

            Contact Name: Jonginnie ^-^

 

            Luhan widely smiled at this, which the three noticed.

 

            “You guys ting each other already?” Xiumin interrupted in a joking manner. Tao laughed while Kris scoffed rolled his eyes, holding back a laugh.

 

            Luhan laughed and threw a leftover chip at Xiumin in retaliation. “Nope!” Luhan replied and grabbed Xiumin’s soda and took a sip at it, ignoring Xiumin’s protests.

 

**

 

            Luhan was brushing his teeth when his phone rang. He opened his phone and checked the message:

 

            From: Jonginnie

            To: Luhan (Me)

                        good night luhan-hyung! ^^; hope you have nice dreams!! ouo

 

            Luhan giggled at Jongin’s message, and quickly replied back.

 

            From: Luhan (Me)

            To: Jonginnie

                        you too jongin! lets hang soon! :) im gonna sleep now!

 

            Deciding it was time to sleep, he set his phone on mute and placed it on his bed table. He fell asleep in a matter of minutes. Later that night, he dreamed of a certain dancer with beautiful caramel skin and the face of perfection.

 

 


A/N:

omfg i started on this chapter this morning and just finished now. it's already 7 pm.

 

i designed chapter #2-3 to be only one chapter but i ended up writing way too much, like this chapter was 1.3k and the second was 2k omg

 

ANYWAYS exo won their second win!!! im so proud of them and KAISOO FEELS YO:

"kaisoo touching each other’s forehead and then leaning on each other behind baekhyun and jonghyun"

 

BY THE WAY IM STILL LOOKING FOR A BETA READER SO PLEASE LOVE ME AND HELP A FRESHLY BUDDING AUTHOR IN NEED-DESU