Chapter 3

Dying Ember

 

“Goodnight, SunSu.” I whispered, getting up from the bed.

 

KyungSoo followed behind me and closed the door slightly on his way out. 

 

“Have you eaten?” I asked him as we walked past the kitchen. “ Because there’s food if you haven’t.”

 

He laughed and nodded.

 

“I’ve eaten. Thanks anyways.” he said, hold onto my hand.

 

He then brought my hand up to his lip and kissed each knuckle. With my hand, he dragged me into a hug that made me warm all over. I brought my arms around his waist and locked my fingers behind his back, resting my chin on his shoulder, smelling his familiar scent.

 

“You’re doing so well.” KyungSoo whispered. “You’re raising our daughter really well.”

 

I nodded and held him there, for a little while longer before pulling him away. After walking to the kitchen and turning off all the lights, with KyungSoo following close behind me, we headed to bed.

 

That night I lay against KyungSoo’s chest, listening to his heart beat through his chest. I could feel him playing with my hair with the tip of his fingers. Neither of us were asleep, we were laying in silence and enjoying each other’s company.

 

I couldn’t ask for anything more at that moment. We were both happy together, with a beautiful daughter. Everything seemed so perfect. I glanced up at KyungSoo and he stared back down at me, our eyes locked together. 

 

“I love you.” he whispered, placing a kiss on my head. 

 

I snuggled into his chest and felt content with all the warmth.  I felt KyungSoo’s fingers leave my hair and felt his hand grasp onto my shoulder, hugging me closer than ever. 

 

 

The sun shone through the window, onto my face, making me stir in my comfortable sleep. I shifted my body but felt an arm around my waist. I stiffened, not knowing who it was, but as i remembered KyungSoo was back I relaxed in his embrace.

 

“Mommy!” I heard a voice coming towards our room. 

 

I glanced at the door and waited for SunSu to arrive any second. I heard her rapid footsteps coming closer and I prepared for her to leap onto the bed and cuddle with me. SunSu came to the door and pushed it open, revealing herself, breathing heavily.

 

“Mommy! Daddy! It’s morning! Wake up.” she said loudly, pouncing onto the bed, jumping up and down.

 

I saw KyungSoo groan and stir next to me. Sitting up, I grabbed SunSu’s hand and yanked her down onto the bed and off her feet. I pulled her into my arms and hugged her tightly, not letting her escape.

 

“You can’t go to daddy.” I teased. “I’ve got you. You can’t move.”

 

She squealed and laughed, wriggling and squirming in my grip to escape. Her soft black hair brushing against my face, tickling my chin. I gripped tightly and swayed side to side, making it harder for her to escape.

 

“Daddy, help me!” she said, her squeals muffled against my shirt. “Mommy’s got me! Daddy!”

 

KyungSoo groaned and planted his face deeper into the pillow.

 

“Give me five more minute, SunSu.” he groaned. “Five more minutes and daddy will help you.”

 

I let go of SunSu and began shaking KyungSoo’s shoulder. 

 

“KyungSoo-ah.” I said. “Get up. SunSu wants to spend some time with you.”

 

Joining me, SunSu also began shaking his shoulder but in a more violent and rapid manner. Seeing no result, she began poking KyungSoo’s back, making him flinch slightly. It seemed that SunSu knew his weak spot, the muscles beside is spine were extremely sensitive.

 

“Okay.” KyungSoo sighed, sitting up. “I’m up. You happy?”

 

SunSu smiled and jumped onto his lap, bringing her toddler arms around his neck and squeezing him closely. KyungSoo gripped onto her waist and kissed the side of her head. I sat next to them and felt a part of me melt. It was so sweet watching them like that.

 

“Morning.” KyungSoo smiled at me when he pulled away from SunSu.

 

Suddenly my phone rang, breaking our atmosphere. I felt behind me for my phone and picked it up, looking at the caller I.D. 

 

“Hello?”

 

“You’re up? Am I disturbing you?”

 

My eyes widened in realization. It was KyungSoo’s mom. 

 

“No, not at all omeonim. Do you need something?”

 

“I was just calling to see if I could drop over to see SunSu, that’s all. Has KyungSoo been home?” she said.

 

I glanced at KyungSoo playing with SunSu and nodded, although she couldn’t see me.

 

“Of course you can come see SunSu. KyungSoo just came home last night. Do you want to speak to him?”

 

“No, dear, it’s alright. I’ll drop by in about twenty minutes and we’ll talk. I’ll see you soon, yes?”

 

I hung up the phone and saw KyungSoo looking at me expectingly. I smile at him and fixed his hair away from his forehead.

 

“Your mom’s coming over in a a little while. Go get ready and I’ll get SunSu ready.” I said, getting off the bed and carrying SunSu in my arms. 

 

“Is grandma coming over, mommy?” SunSu said, grasping onto my shoulders.

 

I nodded. Her eyes brightened and she began clapping. She loved KyungSoo’s mom. Every time she came over, she would buy SunSu all sorts of things. She and KyungSoo’s dad were the only grandparents SunSu had. My parents disowned me when they found out that I was pregnant.

 

Sad, right? The people that brought me into the world, the people that raised me. They disowned me in order to keep their pride and reputation in society. Deep in thought, I kicked the leg of a chair at the dining table. Pain surged through my feet and I was so close to cursing.

 

“ Holy cra-”

 

I bit my lip, refusing to finish the sentence. Suddenly, I hear KyungSoo running towards me, taking SunSu from me.

 

“You alright? I got her, you go do whatever you need.” he said.

 

I looked at him and thanked him silently before walking into the bathroom. I stared at myself in the mirror and I cried. I didn’t know why. Just suddenly I had the outburst. Not sure if it was the pain in my foot or thinking of my parents had gotten me so emotionally unstable.

 

I sniffled and felt my face warm up with all the tears that were pouring from my eyes. Getting cold water and splashing it onto my face, I hoped that it would get rid of the redness. Staying in the bathroom for another while. 

 

I walked out into the kitchen and saw SunSu still in her pajamas and KyungSoo had just set her down on a seat at the dining table. I didn’t want to look KyungSoo in the eyes because he could pick up instantly that something was on. 

 

“You alright?” I heard him say behind me.

 

“Yeah.” I answered, trying to sound casual. “I’m totally fine. Why? Don’t I look alright?”

 

KyungSoo was about to open his mouth there was a knock on the door. My gaze shot away from the ground and I heard SunSu squeal in delight. She sprung out of her seat and ran towards the door, reaching for the doorknob. She wasn’t tall enough to reach the door handle so SunSu looked and KyungSoo and I expectingly, practically begging us to open the door.

 

KyungSoo chuckled and approached the door, lifting SunSu into his arms before opening the door. 

 

“Grandma!” I head SunSu exclaim in her high tone voice. “Mommy, grandma’s here.”

 

“Hi mom.” I heard KyungSoo say softly before letting her in and closing the door behind him. 

 

“Omeoni.” I greeted, hugging her.

 

Since my parents wouldn’t even accept me anymore, KyungSoo’s parents were like my own. They would treat me like a daughter and spoil me like a princess. I was so grateful that I had them in my darkest times. I had learned to love them like my own parents and accept them.

 

“How has my little baby been?” she laughed, setting her shopping bags on the table and picking SunSu up.

 

SunSu laughed and hugged her grandma. 

 

“I came to see you guys today because something just popped into my head.” Mom said. “But put the things I bought away. I bought a lot of snacks and things for SunSu.”

 

KyungSoo shuffled over to her and rested his chin on her shoulder. He pressed their cheeks together and rubbed them together. Mom laughed and shooed him away.

 

“What?” she laughed.

 

“You bought stuff for SunSu but you didn’t buy stuff for KyungSoo?” he pouted.

 

SunSu laughed and stuck her tongue out at KyungSoo. I smiled with my hands on my hips and began packing all the things mom bought into our pantry. As I sorted through the things there were biscuits, letter lollies and so much more snack that a toddler would love.

 

When I came back, SunSu was still in grandma’s arms. 

 

“SunSu-ah” she called softly. “Do you wanna go to your room so I can talk to your mom and dad?”

 

“But-”

 

“I’ll be really fast. I promise.” she assured, setting SunSu down.

 

As SunSu walked to her room, the three of us walked towards the lounge room and sat on the couch. I sat on the couch with mom and KyungSoo sat on the couch opposite of us. KyungSoo’s mom smiled at me and placed a hand on my knee.

 

“So,” she started off. “I was just thinking last night. That you’ve dated for a while before having SunSu and now that she’s nearly four, don’t you wanna consider getting married?”