Chapter 2

Dying Ember

 

“Do KyungSoo.” SunSu said. “Daddy’s name is KyungSoo.”

 

I wiped the remaining tears on her face and closed the door, walking to the front seat to drive home. But behind those encouraging words, I was somewhat hurt. Hurt that my daughter had to go through such things at such a young age. Hurt that people could be so cruel to her.

 

Driving home, I unconsciously let tears fall. I bit my lip, trying to stop myself from sobbing. Trying to remain strong for SunSu. I thought deeply at that time. I thought and counted the days since KyungSoo was last home. After adding and taking days I had come down to six days since KyungSoo was home. 

 

Arriving home, I glanced at SunSu in the back and she was staring outside the window with a blank expression. I sniffled and wiped me tears away roughly with my palms. I checked myself in the mirror and made sure that I looked normal and stepped out of the car.

 

“What are you thinking about, baby?” I smiled as I open the door to SunSu.

 

I unbuckled he seat belt of her seat and carried her in my arms towards the house. I fished through my hand bag for the house keys.

 

“I miss daddy.” SunSu whispered. 

 

I halted on the spot and glanced at her. I could see the hurt and sorrow that one statement could do to her. What that boy said to her had affected her very deeply and that was so painful for me, her mother, to witness.

 

“Daddy probably misses you a lot too, SunSu-ah” I tried smiling through the tears that were threatening to fall.

 

I stepped into the house and set SunSu down on the ground. I held her back pack in one hand and took my shoes off with the other. Usually SunSu would run and dance towards her room, but today she just staggered sadly there. I sighed and followed her.

 

“Are you still upset, baby?” I said, squatting down to her height.

 

She didn’t reply. I gripped onto her shoulders and turned her to face me. Leaning in, I pecked a kiss onto her forehead. Then, I brought her into a hug, trying to comfort her.

 

“Baby, daddy’s just been super busy. I promise that he’ll come back home soon. Very soon.”

 

In the corner of my eyes, I could see SunSu raising her hand up with her fist clenched and only her pinky sticking up. She was making me promise. I laughed and pulled away, entwining our pinkies and pressing our thumbs together.

 

It was getting late and we couldn’t wait and hope that KyungSoo would come home so SunSu and I ate dinner first. I sat on the couch with two bowls on our laps, glancing at the TV. Watching Music Bank, EXO suddenly came up. I brightened and sat up straight, anticipating their performance.

 

“Mommy, it’s daddy!” SunSu squealed excitedly. “It’s daddy!”

 

We both sat through the performance in silence. SunSu bounced on the couch and giggled every time the camera focused on KyungSoo. But as I looked at him, all these questions erupted in my head. Has he been eating well? Is he over-working himself?

 

My train of thought was broken when I heard SunSu applaud and laughing. I glanced at her and smiled a little bit. One second she was upset and the next she was clapping and cheering for her dad.

 

“Why aren’t you clapping, mommy? Daddy was singing so well.” she laughed, encouraging me to clap my hands. 

 

After dinner was sorted and out of the way, I walked SunSu into the bathroom for a bath. Filling the bathtub up with warm water, I began undressing her. I carried SunSu up and settled her softly into the bathtub. I felt her shudder slightly from the cold air.

 

“Are you cold, baby?” I asked.

 

She nodded. I laughed and splashed warm water on her, helping her to avoid the cold. As I washed SunSu, she glanced behind me and giggled. I looked at her, confused. As I stood up and reached for the shampoo, a pair of hands captured my eyes.

 

“Boo!” a voice said.

 

I froze for a second, totally surprised and shocked but then I smelt his familiar scent. I relaxed and smiled. Finally, KyungSoo released me and I turned to face him. I could see SunSu smile so widely in the corner of my eyes. I looked at KyungSoo and observed him.

 

“Hey, you.” I said. 

 

I turned back to reach for SunSu’s shampoo but KyungSoo grabbed my wrist and spun me back around.

 

“I’m gone for nearly a week and that’s all I get when I come back?” he chuckled. “How about a kiss?”

 

“SunSu’s still here, daddy.” she stated.

 

I laughed at her statement and raised my eyebrows at KyungSoo, emphasizing on what SunSu said. But KyungSoo still puckered his lips.

 

“Close your eyes, SunSu-ah.” KyungSoo said, leaning down to kiss me.

 

As he came closer, I heard SunSu squeal and I laughed. I pecked him quickly on the lips and turned away, reaching for SunSu’s shampoo. I squatted down in beside the bathtub and draped her hands away from her eyes. She looked at me with a smile. KyungSoo squatted down next to me and took SunSu’s hand. She giggled and flicked water at him with her tiny fingers.

 

“Yah.” he laughed.

 

“SunSu-ah.” I said. “Behave please.”

 

KyungSoo helped me bathe SunSu and when she was done mucking around with the water, I wrapped a towel around her and lifted her out of the bath. KyungSoo opened his arms, asking for her. I smiled and handedlaugh SunSu to him. As soon as she was in his arms, she began kissing him. I laughed and used another towel to ruffle SunSu’s hair dry.

 

“Did you miss me?” KyungSoo asked her.

 

“Yes.” she answered. “I missed daddy a lot. I saw you on TV before. Daddy’s so cool.”

 

“Could you carry her into the bedroom for me?” I asked him, gathering her clothes and walking towards the bedroom first.

 

Coming into the room, KyungSoo threw SunSu onto her bed. She squirmed with the towel still wrapped around her and laughed in such a carefree manner. KyungSoo got on the bed and began tickling her, making her laughter multiply. I stood beside them and admired the father daughter moment that they were having.

 

“Okay, stop trying to kill her.” I chuckled, making him stop. 

 

After dressing SunSu and brushing her hair, she was lying in bed, ready to go to bed. I sat on the edge of the bed, about to kiss her goodnight. But she objected.

 

“I don’t want to go to bed.” she proclaimed. “I wanna stay with daddy.” 

 

KyungSoo’s lip tugged into a smile and he pinched her cheeks softly. That sight nearly brought me to tears. It had seemed as though it’s been so long since they’ve had this time together. KyungSoo leaned in and planted several kisses on her forehead. After the final kiss, KyungSoo left his lips on SunSu’s forehead.

 

“I love you...” he said.

 

“As much as the sea and as high as the sky.” she said back, wrapping her tiny arms around his neck, bringing him closer.

 

KyungSoo pulled away and I lay her down on her bed. I kissed her soft cheeks and smiled. The lamp in her room was dim and her eyes were twinkling with the light. SunSu glanced up at me with innocent eyes. We called her SunSu because she looked pure ever since she was born.

 

“Goodnight, SunSu.” I whispered, getting up from the bed.