Ruins

Only Ravi

Chapter 7.


May slumped back into the sofa.
Well done, May, well done.  
She felt how her heavy eyelids started to close, but she forced them to open again. Then they fell again and this time she didn’t fight it.
I’m just going to close them for a while. They are burning and need some rest. Just for a minute…
Suddenly a high-pitched voice screamed from somewhere, and May flew up from the sofa, her heat nearly jumping out from her chest. The sudden movement made her feel a bit dizzy.
“What’s happening?!” May shouted out in confusion. A shadow stood a couple of meters in front of her.
“May?” The shadow asked.
“Yeah?” She rubbed her eyes with her right hand.
“What in… What are you doing here? You really scared me.”
Ravi?
Then the figure stepped into the light. It was a sleep-ragged N who stood before her.
“I’m sorry,” May started. Then, without knowing why, she giggled. “Did I really scare you that much?”
Her sudden laughter made N smile broadly and he went up to sofa.
“You really did! I thought you were a ghost or a corpse or something!”
The thought of it made May laugh even more.
Why am I laughing? It isn’t really funny. But I guess I’m so tired that I’ve gone weird.
To her surprise, N whole-heartedly joined in her laughter. They just stood like that, laughing and looking at each other. When they finally stopped, N pointed at the sofa.
“Let’s sit for a bit”
May nodded in agreement.

When they were comfortable, N asked:
“Where’s Ravi? I was sent here to bring him back. The manager was starting to get worried.”
“He’s here, somewhere. He was going to do something, but didn’t say what. Asked me to wait for him here.”
N looked a bit troubled at that.
“You’re not…” He started. “Are you feeling very burdened, being Ravi's English teacher?”
May opened and closed a few times. She actually didn’t know what she should answer. Of course, she hadn’t taken the job willingly, and sometimes it felt like Ravi treated her like a slave. Yet… It actually was a bit interesting. Of course, she still hated the idol’s guts, but… Perhaps she had started to forgive him a bit.
“I’m not… I’m not burdened really…” May answered slowly. N didn’t seem convinced, but he didn’t push the matter.
“N…” May said to change the subject.
“Yeah?”
“What’s your name? Because "N" istn't your real name, right?”
After a while, N said to himself:
“Well, it’s not like it’s a secret.” Then he turned his torso against May.
“Hello, my name is Cha HakYeon.”
May took his outstretched hand and shook it.
“Nice to meet you, Cha HakYeon.”
They started started talking about innocent subjects. May really found it interesting talking to HakYeon. He really was a nice and warm person. They could talk about any strange thing that came up. They were in the middle of a wild discussion about jam when May’s tiredness was starting to take over.
“I mean, how can you NOT like jam, May, that’s just strange.”
“Well… I just don’t enjoy it… I can’t help it.” Her words came out more slowly and with more pauses in between. “I prefer… Chocolate mousse…” Then she was overwhelmed by a silky and friendly darkness.

When May opened her eyes she noticed that her head was resting on something warm. Still feeling sleepy, she didn’t want to lift her head. Instead her eyes moved to her side. She realized that she was resting on a sleeping HakYeon’s shoulder.
Oh my god. I really hope I haven’t drooled on him or something. She managed to think in her sleepy haze before she flew up from the sofa, carelessly jerked by her arm.
“What do you think you’re doing?” A sharp whisper pierced her ear. It was Ravi. And he didn’t look happy.
“What? I was waiting for you?” May whispered back without knowing why they were whispering. Ravi didn’t answer her. Instead he started pulling her towards the door, leaving the sleeping HakYeon on the sofa.
May was severely confused by how Ravi was acting.
Why is he so angry?
Ravi led her to the elevators and unkindly pushed her into it before entering it himself. May flared in anger.

“What’s your problem?” She asked in a loud voice. Ravi’s eyes flashed before her.
“No, what’s your problem? What do you think you were doing, taking advantage of N?”
May gaped at the words.
“What?! Taking advantage…? We were only talking while I was waiting for you!”
“It didn’t seem like you were talking!”
“Well, if you hadn’t been so long-“
“You should just stay away from him! Leave him alone!” Ravi really was snarling at her now. For once, May didn’t snarl back at him. She was too bewildered by the situation. Still, she pulled in some air and opened to ask what this really was about, but she didn’t get the chance.
“It’s so typical of unattractive people! You think that kindness equals interest! I swear to you, he isn’t interested. Just give up and stop bothering him.”
The elevator reached the bottom floor and the doors opened. Adrenaline rose and fell inside of May. No matter how hard she resisted her barriers started to crack.
"You're such an idiot.” Ravi finished without mercy.

With a rain of glass, the barriers scattered completely. May tried to pull up her last defense; anger, but it was nowhere to be found. She just couldn’t manage. A tear started trickle down her cheek.
No.
The tear was followed by others and her vision started to cloud.
No, please don’t.
May turned around and ran. When she reached the doors of the building, she heard Ravi shout after her, but she didn’t want to hear his words anymore.
An image of a memory flashed before her eyes as she ran.

A small girl with a round face walks up to a locker. Excitement and a bit of embarrassment fill her as she pulls up a small letter which she puts into the locker.
The next day everyone stares at her. They whisper. Some points.
“Chubby over there left a…”
“A what...?”
“Was it really?”
“A love letter?”
“Chubby did?!”
Something cracks inside of the girl.

“No, stop. Stop!” May mumbled to herself. The image changed.

The girl, a few years older, won’t make her past change her. She won’t let it her discourage her. She stands in front of a boy. She loves him. She tells him.
“May, you know I really, really like you.”
Happiness grows in her stomach.
“And I really wish I could find someone like you… Who doesn’t look like you…”

“Stop it, you ugly, fat , stop it!” May gritted out through her teeth. The tears just wouldn't stop falling but she dried them away with her hand. “You’re not like that anymore. That’s not you. Stop it. It’s ok.” She forced herself to breathe slowly.

“What does he know? He knows nothing.”


Note:

Wow! This was so hard writing. I’m sorry for making Ravi so nasty, but as you probably realize, there’s a reason for it. This Ravi is very impulsive and jealous. But I promise you! This is the last time he will be this nasty. I won’t make you go through this again.
Btw, Ravi calls N for N in front of other people and he calls him HakYeon when they’re alone or with friends.
Ok, I’ll start working on the next chapter right away. *Runs away*