Unexpected Encounters

Only Ravi

Chapter 3

“Let go of me! What do you think you are doing?” May struggled as the young man with the beautiful but angry face pulled her into a calm street corner behind Café Symphony. He finally let go of her arm but he put himself in front of her so that she couldn’t escape past him. May pulled up her arms over her chest, but she was feeling more angry than scared.
“I’ll scream if you try something, you gangster!”
The man had just been about to say something, but after May’s outburst he seemed to be lost for words.
“Gangster?” He finally managed to get out. “Whoa, this woman! I’m just speechless. Aren’t you the gangster?”
“What?! I’m not!”
“Aren’t you the person who spits on other person’s shoes and then acts rude about it?”
“When have I ever- I apologized properly didn’t I?”
“If a simple apology was enough there wouldn’t be any need for the police, right?”
“That doesn’t even make any sense!”
The man threw up his hands in frustration.
“Enough!” He said and then stretched out his hand to May with the palm upwards. May eyed the hand suspiciously.
“What?”
“Compensate me.”
“Compensate you?!”
“Yes, those shoes were expensive! Didn’t I say that they were imported from USA? “
“Can’t I just pay for the cleaning bill?” The man gave her an unbelieving stare.
“Do you think I would wear that? How dirty.”
 

May was quiet for a while. Then she said:
“How much?”
“400 000 Won” He answered casually.
“400…???” May was in shock. Then her anger flared up again.
Why does this petty man have to bother me now when everything’s going so well?!
“I can’t pay you that! No, I won’t pay you!” She yelled at him with an angry glare.  The man seemed to be amazed again, because he just pointed at May with his mouth open in disbelief.
“Do you want me to take it up with the police?”
“No, I don’t!” She responded just as angrily as before.
“Then-“
“I don’t have any money!!! I can barely feed myself, how am I supposed to pay you?”
“Well that’s your problem.”
“You really are the worst!”

“Ravi?”
An unfamiliar voice interrupted the heated argument. May looked up at two handsome men who suddenly stood before them. They seemed to be quite amused.
“Whoa, I’d never think I’d see the day! Ravi’s molesting a girl in a street corner!” The man who spoke had red hair.
“Someone call the police!” The other man said jokingly and leaned against the red-head. The second man’s hair was bright brown and he had a slightly big nose that surprisingly fitted well in his face.
Gangsters, they’re definitely gangsters! May thought. I’m really in big trouble aren’t I. I’m sorry mom and dad if I ever spoke badly of you. I’ll see you in the afterlife. Amen.

“Oh, it’s you guys,” the man who was called Ravi said in a calmer voice.
“Whoa, she’s a foreigner! Good work, Ravi” the bright haired man said and leaned forward against May.
“Stop scaring her, Big nose-Ken!” The red-haired man said and hit the other man in the back of his head.
“How can you call me that, you meanie!” The person named Ken huffed out and rubbed his head with his hand.
May quietly looked up at Ravi who seemed to be a bit embarrassed.
“Wait a minute. Is this the girl?” The red-head suddenly said in a mischievous tone.
“What, what?” Ken asked curiously.
“This is the girl who spat on Ravi’s new shoes!”
May blushed as the man named Ken burst out laughing.
“Wow, really? Amazing! Good work!” The last sentence was directed at May and was expressed in uneven English.
“Stop that,” Ravi suddenly spoke up. He turned to the red-head.
“N, weren’t you supposed to go on those errands? The manager will scold you if you’re late again. “
N? Definitely gangster names. But they seem to be pretty carefree gangsters.
“Ah, right, let’s go Ken-Ken.”
The two men turned to leave. But before they disappeared, Ken shouted back at them:
“Don’t do something bad, Ravi! I won’t hesitate to report you to the police! Bye-bye!”

“Anyways,” May started slowly, a bit overwhelmed by the unexpected encounter. “I’m sorry, but it is as I said. I can’t afford to pay you. Can’t you just let this go?”
The man called Ravi was silent for a short while.
“No”
“How can you be so stingy?!”
“You know English well, right?” Ravi interrupted.
“…Yeah…”
“Then pay off your debt by working for me.”
May blinked a few times.
“What? No way? What do you want me to do? Make deals with the American mob? I won’t work with criminals!”
“What are you going on about? I said I wasn’t a gangster!”
“Well, you could’ve fooled me!”
“Shut it and listen for a bit!” Ravi seemed serious, so May quieted for a bit.
“Whenever I need help with English in any way, I’ll call you. And you’ll help me without questions. Ok?”
“But I’ve already got a job here!”
“You don’t need to quit. I’ll probably not need help often. But when I do, you better show up or you’re dead!”
“What, but I-“May spluttered. But Ravi interrupted by sticking his hand into her pocket and snatched her mobile.
“What are you doing?” May said angrily and reached for her phone, but the tall Ravi just unaffected held the phone high above her head while he fiddled with it.
“010-3688-6538” He said out loud. ”That’s your number right?” He carelessly handed back her phone.
“I’ve added my number. Be sure to answer whenever I call, or I’ll make your life a living hell.” Then he surprisingly enough smiled at May and patted her head with his hand.
“Goodbye!”
Then he was gone.
May just stood there and gaped. The anger raised and fell inside of her. She repressed an impulse to run after Ravi and hit him across his head. No one had ever been able to get her this angry before. She just couldn’t follow his pace. He was unreasonable, yet very good looking. He was angry one minute, then happy the next. May just wasn’t able to understand him.
She leaned back against the wall, suddenly feeling exhausted and sighed.
Yesterday she had been unemployed.
Today she had two jobs.  

 

Note:

A shorter chapter this time! I’m sorry for the long dialogue. I hope it wasn’t confusing or hard to read. And did you like the description of N and Ken? Haha, I know it was a bit vague, but I tried to capture them as good as I could. XD
By the way, maybe you’ve already guessed, but the looks of our VIXX oppas is based off how they look in “Hyde”. It’s pretty recent so I’m sure that they still look like that, haha.
Nothing more to say! Thank you as always.