Chapter 5

Sengoku Shoujo

Chapter 5: Kono Nezumi… Start…

 

“Yui-dono, I’ve heard that you’ve brought in some strange foreigner in, Owari is already having enough problems with the citizens’ unhappiness and those many little battles from all over! Things that your father built up such as the army may be just simply snatched away due to your ways! Compared to you currently, your father was much more reliable and Mayu-dono would be more competent in being the lord.”

A man sat in seiza as he preached to Yui about the troubles in the province. From the landlords near the borders, there have been many cases of rebellion. Many of the common people do not approve of her as they don’t understand her thinking. The vassals don’t truly support Yui. Some such as the man are neutral, but feel compelled to ask the lord to do something.

“Hayashi, I am not my father nor my sister, I have my own ways of doing things. Why don’t you tell me about something more meaningful than something like that?”

The girl replied without letting any emotions show. There were already plans to travel to the neighboring province of Mino and renew the alliance with the Viper in a week or so. With all the problems around, obviously, it’s not like she’s not doing anything. If she wasn’t things would have fallen apart a lot sooner.

“Yui-dono, it is an understatement to say that it is not meaningful.”

Another man speaks up angrily. Atsuko, Minami, and Rena stood to the side and did not speak. Paru at the moment was outside in the garden, not part of the conference.



“…Hmm? Could it be that you are the strange girl that my sister took from the battlefield?”

A cute girl with her hair tied in a twintail-like fashion walked over to Paru who at the moment was looking at the flowers in the garden. The cute girl had a scheming look in her eyes and was curved into a smirk.

“…You are Yui-san’s sister?” Paru curiously asks, finding not much resemblance between them.

“Eh… So, you call her Yui-san… Hrm… Yes, I am her sister; Yokoyama Mayu is my name…”

The girl, Mayu, responded as she observed. She gave an interested look towards Paru, noting the use of honorifics towards her sister, the daimyo.

“…I’m Paru… Yoroshiku?”

Not really knowing why Mayu’s tone was such as it was, Paru introduced herself questioningly. Mayu smirked and walked away without saying anything other than a small phrase, “…Let’s just see about that...”

She was a swindler, a strategist, a schemer, and most of all, a little rat. Mayu was smart. As she left, Paru just looked at her somewhat confused.



“Mayu-sama?” Takamina asks upon hearing that Paru met the girl.

“…Is there anything wrong?”

Paru curiously tilts her head. She obviously didn’t know about the girl’s reputation with those somewhat close to Yui. Close as in, those who are able to stay around Yui-sama and don’t find her as a fool, such examples are Takamina, Atsuko, and Rena-san.

“…Well, that girl rebelled against Yui-sama before… Actually, she rebelled twice, but was spared both times…”

The short girl had a serious look on her face as she gave a short explanation. Paru nodded, showing her understanding of what was said so far.

“Mayu-sama is a bit of a schemer, but it’s not that good to label her as a bad guy you know?”

Maeda walked over to the two that were talking while sitting on the deck. She does serve under Mayu-sama rather than directly under Yui-sama after all. With a smile on her face, she sat down next to Takamina.

“…Un…”

“Part of the reason that she actually rebelled is because of those vassals that kept on pressuring her since she was younger.”

Atsuko explained. Yui-sama was actually always one to have dreams, wild ones that not everyone understood. A number of vassals, when the last daimyo died, moved to Mayu-sama’s side, giving her pressure to kick Yui out.

“Yeah, Atsuko can probably explain that stuff better than I can.” Takamina sheepishly smiled.

“…Politics is hard…Isn’t it?” Paru let out her honest opinion.

“Yeah, I guess it is.” The other two nodded in agreement.



“Yui-nee-san, recently, the commoners seem to not be so happy with you…”

Mayu leaned against the wall casually. Her kimono was more boyish than a feminine; her sandals were positioned at an angle that she could simply stay in place without having to worry about posture. She usually acted differently around the vassals and retainers, but around her sister, it seemed that it was okay to be so casual and rude.

“I’m taking care of it.”

The collected lord responded, her black eyes piercing through her sister. Problems like that were often the main points of criticism.

“Renewing that treaty with the Viper won’t help much at all.” Mayu let out a small laugh.

Yui frowned. “Even if it’s actually useless, at least the people will probably be more at ease.”

Smirking, Mayu answers. “Why not? It won’t last for long anyways… After all, you’re not all that good at this job…”

“You want to take over and rebel again? Just so you know, no matter what our mother says this time, you’ll die if you fail.”

Yui just states the obvious. The first two times Mayu rebelled, their mother begged Yui to spare the girl. No matter what type of person she may be, Yui isn’t a heartless killer. Letting her rebellious sister live for a third time would lead to other rebellions, destroying Owari from the inside, allowing outsiders to bring it down.

“I won’t just waste my life just yet.”

“Good.”

Ishida Anna, the lord of a neighboring province had already started to attack the borders. Despite sending out soldiers to protect those areas, the losses and victories were close to equal. It was just the start, if Mayu really stirred up too much trouble, Owari would definitely fall. Ishida was successful.

Getting off the wall, ready to exit, Mayu left a small message. “By the way, that Paru girl seems like she’ll be interesting.”

Watching Mayu leave silently, Yui frowned again, somewhat frustrated. Some things stated were right after all.