The Start

Life....

"I-I-I... re-really... li-like... y-you... D-do y-you... li-like m-me... t-too?" stuttered the shy girl looking down- not daring to meet the eyes of her crush. 

"Look up." demanded a cold, monotone voice. 

Slightly, just very slightly, her head was lifted up. She staggered backwards. A camera! A camera recording! What? What's happening!

"Yoona. So the rumours about you were true huh? So you are a lesbian! Hah you think I would like you? Think again," Hara mockingly said. Yoona turned around and tried to run away but just when she thought she got away, a group of popular kids came out. Yoona knew she was in trouble. 

The tallest and buffest man stepped out.  "Hey Im Yoona. What are you doing here? Living your gay life? Oh oops. Did I just say that you're gay? Sorry. Oh wait you ARE gay! Guys look Lez Yoong is here," Taecyeon smirked and shoved the skinny Yoona causing her to fall backwards and hit the pavement. As Yoona crawled backwards, the group approached. Soon she was cornered and had nowhere to go. Punches were thrown, kicks were kicked, names were called, and body was molested. Soon she became un-conscious. Maybe that was better... It took away some of the pain....

When Yoona woke up she was in the hospital, staring at her sisters' faces. Well she was adopted... but she was treated the same Jessica and Krystal. The two might seem very cold and distant, but if they knew someone well they would be extremely protective and loving.

"Yoona! What in the world happened?" Jessica questioned. No reply. Just tears, and more tears. Krystal pulled her sister's sleeve to signal her to stop. Krystal was younger but she was always somehow able to tell what others are feeling; knowing what to do and what to say. She did the right thing; give the injured Yoona a gentle but assuring hug. A hug to ensure that they will be there for her. 

Weeks passed as Yoona recovered at home after being discharged from the hospital. The sisters had finally gotten Yoona to tell them what happened; well they kind of found out through the people in school but Yoona did give them her side of the story. The sisters respected Yoona and so did the parents. The parents tried filling a report to the school, but Yoona begged and convinced them not to. 

----------

"Are you sure Unnie?" Krystal worriedly asked. The three girls were walking to their high school. Jessica was in Grade 12, Yoona in Grade 11, and Krystal in Grade 10. Krystal and Jessica both knew how pretty much the whole school was aware of Yoona's confession and treatment due to Hara posting the video on the school’s website. Some didn't care, some pretended to care, and some saw this as an opportunity to take their anger and frustrations out. 

"Yes I'm sure Krys. I can't hide forever.... Besides I have to go on with life and not let that day end my life." Yoona replied with a smile that was half sincere and half fake. Yoona has become harder to understand after getting beaten up. Even Krystal had trouble deciding what to do. 

Jessica just casually placed an arm around Yoona's shoulder and kept walking. They finally reached the school, and in the front doors they went. Heads turned, eyes focused, thoughts whispered. Why? Because they were famous? Partly, Jessica and Krystal were popular within the students and Yoona could be too except she preferred to stay unnoticed. You can guess the reason for all the attention. Yoona's proposal.... Yoona ignored them all which is admittedly very hard. 

Then things got even more interesting. The gang was there with Hara. 

"Hey! Look who's here? Im Yoona? That name seems very familiar.... Oh right she's the lezbo who confessed to Hara. Guys remember her? Finally coming out of your hole huh? Oh wait do you even have somewhere to live? Or did your filthy parents kick you out? What a pretty face. Too bad you're not normal." Taecyeon arrogantly yelled. A teacher just walked past; not caring to stop and tell him off. It doesn't matter how much Yoona tried to steel herself, those words hurt unlike the cliché saying 'Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.' Jessica and Krystal grew furious as they saw Yoona scramble away, obviously affected. Jessica glared at the other students as she made her way to her locker while Krystal chased after Yoona. Yoona just told Krystal to go to class and lied that she was fine. After Krystal left, instead of going to her own classes, Yoona went to the washroom. Locking herself in a stall Yoona bawled her eyes out. She felt so weak. Was it wrong that she likes, no LIKED a girl? Was it wrong to be homoual? It wasn't her choice to be homoual!

A block went by and people started to come into the washroom during the break. Most of them were there to gossip and fix their makeup. It was until a girl noticed sobs and a locked door that the girls stopped their false rumours about Yoona being a lesbian . One girl went into the next stall and peep over the top. 

"IM YOONA. WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THE WASHROOM!" the girl shouted, attracting full attention. 

Somehow another girl has unlocked and opened the stall door. They pulled poor Yoona who was shocked at what just happened out. And one by one slaps were delivered and names called. Why? No one knows. One of them started and everyone just followed. The saddest thing about that was no one tried to stop it or stand up for Yoona. The bell rang and the girls spilled out. By lunch news of the incident in the washroom spread like wildfire. Jessica and Krystal heard and were scrambling to look for their sister, the one who is the weakest but tries to act strong. They found her crying into her knees behind the school- a place where they would meet up to talk if something was wrong. 

"Let's go home." those three words made Yoona snap her head up. She was so deep in her thoughts she didn't hear them. Her eyes were filled with sadness, helplessness, confusion and hurt. 

"I'll go home myself. You guys stay in school. I don't want you guys to skip. Before you say anything I'm ok. I just need to go home and get away from people." Yoona said in a voice cracked from crying. She stood up and started limping home. Of course, the girls were weak but there was a lot of them. She didn't even bother bringing her bag. What Yoona didn't know was that Jessica and Krystal ran back inside, grabbed their and Yoona's stuff and went home too. 

Somewhere in the huge mansion, a door slammed shut. A thud was the evidence of a body with a heavy heart falling. Curled up by the door, more tears fell. She didn't know it was possible to cry this much in one day. Tons of thoughts ran in her head: none of them considered to be 'good.' Run away? Where would she go...? Get revenge? How? Just ignore? No it wasn't possible to ignore this. Why is life so complicated? 

The front door opened and closed. Yoona quickly ran to her bed and snuck under the blankets. Soon her room door opened slightly. Two heads poked in. They walked over to her and climbed in too. One on each side of her. Embracing her on both sides. They knew she wasn't sleeping because of the falling tears, and they felt helpless because they can't do anything to stop them. After just lying there and hugging for a few hours, they finally got up. Even though she refused, Jessica and Krystal got Yoona's bruises, and all that cleaned. They left her alone because they knew that's what she wanted. She found her phone on the table and she took it. Turning it on, it vibrated like crazy. Out of curiosity she tried to read them all. "Kill yourself. No one likes you." one read. "Do you think you'll be accepted? A lesbian in our school? You won't be living an easy life that's for sure." another read. She closed her eyes. This was too much for her. She began going through all her memories. Her pleasant ones and not so pleasant ones. Parties to funerals. Then an image of her own funeral came up. Barren empty except for Jessica, Krystal, their mom, dad, and relatives. Then an interview with the students. Everyone fake crying, faking love, faking her importance. When she opened her eyes, she was in the bathroom, staring into the mirror. Was this who she is destined to be? Was she weak? Strong? Nothing? Nothing mattered. She knew what she was about to do would affect people but right now nothing mattered. It hurts too much. Not physically, everything was numb, but mentally. A razor blade was in her hands. Down, up, down, up. Slash, slash, splash, splash. Blood dripping, tears falling, life ending. Things drop; blade, hand, head, body. Thud. Footsteps approaching. Screaming. Darkness is enveloping her. Welcoming her. Taking away her pain. Goodbye? Bad bye? Farewell?