Chapter 01

(EDITING) Net Connection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
ChapterOne "I'm not ing !"

 

 

 

 

Sandara Park

 


Stranger: R U ?

 

I sighed, staring at the millionth stranger from my phone who asked me that question in this god-forsaken website. Okay, exaggerating, but that number obviously screams a lot—a lot of strangers.

 

I immediately clicked the red disconnect button and the site automatically linked me to another stranger.

 

Stranger: ASL

 

“Well hello to you too,” I murmured while I typed in my response. I should have copied and pasted it instead of typing it every time I connected to another stranger. My thumbs are already killing me and that says something on how long I have been at it.

 

You: Hello! 22, Female, USA

Stranger: M 19 US

 

I started typing again when he immediately responded. He was probably using a desktop.

 

Stranger: You have webcam?

 

See. I was right.

 

You: No, I’m on my phone

Stranger: Kik?

You: I do have

Stranger: Give me your username

You: Okay, why?

Stranger: Nothing. Do u send nudes?

 

“Ugh,” I run my hand through my brunette locks, my fingers tangling over some knots because this lovely lady right here hasn’t showered in two days, and that’s been the shortest duration this summer.

 

I sighed again for how many times that night and maybe that’s why the room feels a bit warm right now. With all the carbon dioxide I expelled this night I could probably sustain a vegetation right in the middle of my room.

 

Who would have thought that the internet is filled with erts who made it their hunting ground? These guys are probably losers that to nudes; abusing it because the possibility of them getting arrested behind their screen is zero. Nada.

 

Normal people would go out and get laid. Easy. But then again, I’m here chatting with them. I pursed my lips at the thought.

 

You: NO

Stranger: ?

You: NO

Stranger disconnected...

 

“Noooo!” I stared at my phone and wished I could choke the stranger on the other end. “Well, you! I’m supposed to be the first one to disconnect, you bastard!” I screamed at the inanimate object on my hand before throwing it beside me on the bed.

 

Wow, real mature Sandara. First one to disconnect?

 

My life looks so pathetic right now. Chatting with strangers in the middle of the night to fight my boredom is a far cry from what I imagined to be my—and as I quoted to my friends—exciting summer vacation. Exciting summer vacation, my . The only exciting I did was slip and bump my hip at the kitchen counter which gave me a humongous bruise. Please, note my sarcasm.

 

The only time I leave the comfort of my room is when I need to gobble up some food or take a dip in our backyard pool. The thought of me being an absolute loser suddenly crossed my mind but I mentally shoved it down. Go, positivity.

 

Only a month left before school starts and I haven’t done anything that could improve the quality of my life. I could be studying, or learning a new skill. Instead, I’m wasting it with strangers on this website called, Omegle.

 

Omegle was in a shiny and colorful advertisement I saw when I was browsing through some material my mother asked me to check on Google and I couldn’t help it. I’m a sap when it comes to shiny advertisements. And then, you add a perfectly cohesive palette?

 

Click! Virus be damned.

 

It is a not the most well designed chat site I’ve seen but it’s something, alright. You get random strangers to chat with. If you don’t like them, disconnect. It’s a very good site to gain friends from different countries.

 

I was feeling a little audacious tonight so why not?  Chatting a few people in the middle of the night might make my summer more bearable. I wanted to find someone to talk to other than my friends but as you have seen, my efforts have been futile. Omegle has been throwing me erted losers who endlessly asks me if I’m . One guy even stupidly asked me what I’m doing in it if I wasn’t and putting out. Well, I didn’t know Omegle was short for ert Hub a.k.a sanctuary di erts.

 

I rolled over my stomach and stared at my phone discarded beside me. Should I go at it again?

 

it. I won’t be doing anything anyway.

 

I picked up my phone and connected it to a stranger.

 

Stranger: Hi

You: Hello

Stranger: asl?

You: 22 F US

Stranger: nice

You: Ok you?

Stranger: M 12 UK U ?

 

I had to do a double take to make sure I read that right. The numbers were not disappearing so I was quite stunned that a pre-pubesc—no, a child was here and was asking me if I was !

 

You: What are you doing here kid!?

Stranger disconnected…

 

Un-freaking-believable.

 

He could have at least lied about his age. He’s 12 years old and he’s already stupid. I’m not even mad, kids these days are so liberated, but I didn’t know that they were that stupid. It’s concerning.

 

I must have clicked the button thrice, not noticing that the site prompted me to the next stranger.

 

When I read his message, I instantly saw red.

 

Stranger: R U ?

 

This bastard.

 

You: I AM NOT ING !

 

I was about to click disconnect when he immediately replied.

 

Stranger: Good to know that

Stranger: I’m not either

 

My thumbs hung in the air and my brain must have stopped processing because I was just staring at his reply. Well, why is this stranger asking if he is not? Is this another 12 year old kid?

 

You: You’re not a 12 year old are you?

Stranger: No

Stranger: There are 12 yr olds here?

You: Surprisingly, yes

 

And it is surprising also that I found you, but I didn’t say that. He was undoubtedly the first stranger who isn’t a ert. It was a miracle I didn’t kneel down and praise whoever god or entity that has finally given me a chat mate that doesn’t require typing no, no, and no.

 

I didn’t notice that I was having an inner monologue with myself that the stranger might have disconnected. I quickly looked at my screen.

 

Stranger: Hello?

Stranger: Did you die?

Stranger: Alright, bye.

 

No!

 

You: Wait!

 

I held my breath, hoping the screen doesn’t display that he had disconnected. I mentally slapped my head for having an inner monologue when I had found a normal person who isn’t ! I could have a new friend!

 

Stranger typing...

 

Oh by the gods, I released a huge sigh of relief. I almost lost him.

 

Stranger: and so he lives...

You: I’m a girl

Stranger: and so she lives…

 

Am I the only one who thinks this stranger is sarcastic?

 

You: Are you a guy?

Stranger: Try guessing

You: You know I can see that you’re a male

Stranger: Doesn’t mean I am

You: Touche, but then again. You didn’t answer my question.

Stranger: Try guessing

You: What?

Stranger: Are you from another planet to not understand that?

 

“Uh huh,” I exhaled. He wants to play this game. Let’s see then. I flexed my thumb muscles and started typing then.

 

I’ll make you bleed, stranger!

 

You: Are you an animal then?

Stranger: What?

You: Are you from another planet to not understand that?

Stranger: I see what you’re doing

You: Arf arf arf

Stranger: What?

 

I laughed maniacally. I hope our housekeeper doesn’t think I’m crazy with all the noise coming out of my room.

 

You: Arf arf arf arf

Stranger: Yo, what the

You: Arf arf arf

Stranger: Fine! I’m a guy

You: Ahhhh, you finally cracked

Stranger: Crazy woman

You:

Stranger: Jerk

You: Bastard

Stranger: ert

 

I gasped.

 

You: I am not a ert

Stranger: Says who?

 

The heavens gave me a stranger that isn’t or erted, but of course, the one they gave me was a nutjob.

 

You: Whatever. I’m Sandara but you can call me Dara. I’m 22, and from the United States, you?

Stranger: So?

 

Why you—

 

Stranger: Joking..

Stranger: I’m Jiyong, 24, from Korea

You: Oh! I’m also Korean.

Stranger: Nice to meet you Dara

Stranger: So what are you doing here aside

Stranger: from shouting profanities at random strangers?

 

I shrank in embarrassment as I remembered our conversation from earlier thinking that if a stranger did that to me I’d think he was crazy and would not think twice about disconnecting.

 

You: Nice to meet you too

You: Sorry

You: Omegle’s been throwing me erts

You: And when I saw you’re first line, I saw red. Why did you even ask me that question if you’re not even ?

Stranger: I don’t know

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter