Chapter 2: That Dream Again

LIFE AND FREEDOM (Teenage Angst)

"Help!" A girl kneeled in a corner, her face was buried in her palms and can't stop from sobbing.

"Stop it! Brother! Help! Please, anyone? Help."

"Going somewhere little boy?"

No!!!

 

Minhwan was awaken by a knocked at his door. "Minari dear, you'll be late in your class," his mother calling him outside his room.

"Yes Mom." Why? Why that dream again? It stopped 5 years ago but why is it hunting me again?

"Minari, are you still not up?"

Minhwan didn't notice that he's been spacing for almost 15 minutes. "Yes Mom, I'll be downstairs in a second."

 

"Morning."

"What's up Minari? What's with that face and why are you so pale? Have you eaten your breakfast or did Dara dumped you? So which one is it?" Jaejin asked without even looking at Minhwan. His eyes are fixed to whatever he is reading.

"Eh?" Minhwan instantly blushed upon hearing Dara's voice.

"Ok class, stop chitchatting. Today you'll have your pre-test," their teacher announced without looking at her student while preparing their test papers.

"Eh?" Minhwan didn't know that there will be a pre-test.

"Stop with your Eh. What's wrong with you? And by the way, it's the first time that you've been this late, am I right? Is something up?" Again Jaejin didn't even bother looking at him. Minhwan wonders how he knew something is bothering him when he can't even look at him.

Minhwan spaced again.

"Hey Minari." Without receiving an answer from Minhwan, Jaejin got worried and this time he stopped reading and glance at his friend.

"Yah, would you like to sit or you would just remain standing for the whole day?"

Minhwan was distracted from his deep thought. That voice, I think I've heard it somewhere. He glanced at his right side and there seated their new classmate named Hongki with an annoyed face.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Minhwan put his bag beside his chair but can't take his eyes off with the new transfered student.

Hongki fixed his eyes in front and waited for the teacher to pass their test papers but he can't stop from getting irritated, his seatmate from what he heared named Minari can't stop from staring. He got annoyed and sit sideways across his left side facing Minhwan. Hongki crossed his legs and arms.

"What? You'll just stand there and stare at me? Am I that handsome to you?"

Minhwan blushed, he was embarrassed. Jaejin was just waiting for whatever happens between the two, hoping Hongki won't start a fight with Minhwan. He really doesn't like to start his day with a fight in their class and especially he didn't want to even be involved. He has so much problem to handle hoping Minhwan won't add to it. He wanted to have a clean and clear record during his high school stays. What a perfect student he must be. Now, it's Jaejin's turn to be daydreaming.

"Hey, you three! If you don't mind, we are going to start our exam and Mr. Choi Minhwan, you can sit now."

Minhwan sat but still in his deep thoughts. There is really something about with this new guy.

Hongki can feel that there are two negative auras evolving around their classroom. One in his left side, Minhwan and the other one is at his back and knew it was Jonghun. He knew that Jonghun has been following him since day 1 but what's up with the kid at his left side. He just shrugged it off and focus to his test papers.

 

"Ah, what a day. Phew, that exam gave me headache," Jaejin complained.

"But I'm quite sure you answered it all correctly," Minhwan said while opening his lunch box. Minhwan and Jaejin were at the rooftop having their lunch break.

"Whoah, chicken again?" Jaejin asked Minhwan while looking at Minhwan's lunch box.

"What? What's wrong with it? I love chicken and it's our family business."

"Yeah, yeah but it's not healthy to eat chicken everyday."

"Yeah, yeah but it's not healthy to lie everyday, right Jaejin?" Minhwan accidentally slipped his tongue.

Jaejin stopped from eating. His eyes fixed on Minhwan. "I'm not lying."

"I'm sorry," Minhwan appologized but can't help to ask again.

"It's okay. Lets finish eating. The nest class will start in just 20 minutes."

"But Jaejin, aren't you going to visit her and have some moment with just the two of you? I'm sure she'll be happy to see you."

"Minhwan, how many times will I tell you that she's --- "

BANG! They heared something hit the wall.

"What was that Minari?" 

"I don't know, the sound came from the other door at the stairway. Lets look Jaejin."

"Wait. It might just be some random student in a fight. Don't get involve."

"We will just look okay?" Minhwan closed his lunch box and returned it to his bag. Slowly he went to door and open it slowly where his eyes can only see not exposing their presence. Jaejin half heartedly follows.

There the new student Hongki standing against the wall grabbing his shoulder. He is in pain.

"What's up with you losers?" Hongki gritting his teeth in anger.

"You know what, you're just new in this school but you have the guts to walk like you're a leader of a gang. And don't give me that look. You're so irritating! The big guy grabbed Hongki's collar but Hongki just smirked.

The irritated student was about to punch Hongki's face but someone stop it. Behind the man stood their class president Jonghun.

"What's this Hongki? You're new but within 2 days you've started a fight? When will you learn?"

"And when will you learn to stop following me huh Jonghun?"

Hongki and Jonghun stared at one another. Jonghun whose eyes are fixed on Hongki did not notice that he has been gripping the hand of the big guy who hit Hongki. His grip is so hard that that there was a cracked heard. The big guy cried so loud. It is just that moment that Jonghun noticed that he haven't released yet the hand. His eyes got so big that he never notice it but now the big guy has a fractured hand. Jonghun release it and acted as if nothing happen. The big guy IS now weeping in the corner, "my hand, my hand, you'll pay for what you did!" pointing at Jonghun.

"What? What did I do? It's not my fault that you punched the wall," Jonghun just simply lied with just a matter of fact face.

"Eh? Our class president is an expert when it comes to difficult situation, he just lied," said Minhwan having difficulty in viewing the scene.

"What's happening? Wait Minari I can't see a thing. Move your head."

"Hey stop moving Jaejin we might.. ahhhh!"

The two stumbled down the stairs and ended at Jonghun and the big guy who are still arguing.

"And what are you peeping at this whole time Jaejin and Minhwan?"

Jaejin stand up, removing some dirt at his pants and crossed his arm, "if you didn't notice Pres. Hongki just run off a while ago."

"Huh? That Hongki. And you big guy, you'll have your record again and again in the disciplinary committee and you two, go back to your class, if you also haven't notice, it already started 15 minutes ago," Jonghun pointed out to the other two.

"Argggh, Minari we're so late, lets go, I don't want to have failed marks."

"You never had Jaejin," Minhwan said while the two run for their afternoon class. "See yah Pres."

 

Hongki is nowhere to be seen. He did not attend their afternoon class. For the whole lesson, Minhwan can no longer focus to their subjects. Those eyes, it has no life. I wonder what he's doing right now? And the class president also did not return. Do they know each other already? I wonder why Hongki seems so familiar.