Chapter 8: You Can Trust Me

The Same, but Different

Your POV

 

It was 6:30 when I had just slipped on my dress. My black and red pumps were in a nearby corner by my bedroom door. My hair was done, so where my nails and I even switched purses for the night. I needed make up, badly!

I’m really nervous…I guess it’s because I want this night to be perfect for Tao, Mi Hi and me.

I really hope that we miss Hye Su’s trap completely, but the more realistic part of me can’t stop laughing at that wish.

I tossed my long black locks out of the way so I could get an accurate glimpse of the time.

It was now 6: 45.

I inhaled and exhaled in an attempt to steady my heart rate as I started on my face. Since it was nighttime, I decided to go for a sparkly silver black smoky eye. After I put on the eye shadow, I lined my eyes with black eyeliner and coated my eyelashes with mascara.

The only other thing that I put on was a dark red lip stick that made my lips look desirable. I smiled at my reflection.

I’m perfection right now!

Except for my lack of jewelry…

“Ugh!” I ran to the other side of my bedroom for my jewelry box and started fishing around for the red ring from yesterday and some old black and ruby earrings the hung from my earlobes in delicate chains.

I finally found them all when I looked at the time again.

I only had three more minutes!

I grabbed my cell phone off of my night stand and forced it into my small purse. Sparing myself time, I ran down the staircase barefoot with my heels in my hand as I descended rapidly. I almost collided with Kwan at the bottom.

“Woah sis, Tao’s not here yet!” We both heard a car pull into the driveway. Kwan looked out of a window to make sure. “Impeccable timing, I’ll give him that.”

I slipped on my stilettos and left the house, sliding into the black car on the passenger’s side.

Dressed in the black suit and tie from yesterday was Tao. However, he wasn’t nearly as sensual as he was yesterday…he had surpassed the limit that he had set yesterday, nearly making the suit clad Tao from yesterday look cute compared to himself now.

His black bangs had fallen over his right eye. The rest of his dark hair had been styled to the right, giving him more volume and appeal. The antique cross earrings that he had bought yesterday hung along the rim of his ear while a sterling silver stud peeked out from the inside of his ear.

His dark eyes glimmered from the nearby porch light as he took in my appearance.

“Wow Ae-Sook, you look incredible.”

I thanked him for his compliment before the car slowly eased out of the driveway, turning around for the direction that Mi Hi’s house was.

“I know that you already know this, but you look pretty good too, Tao.”

My compliment got a smirk from the driver. Tao grinned.

“I was hoping you’d say that…otherwise it wouldn’t be worth all of the trouble I went through to get my hair to look this way.”

I laughed quietly and looked out of the window.

The dark sky shimmered with distant stars, setting the scene for the giant pale circle in the center of the abyss.

Despite Hye Su’s plan, we were going to have fun tonight.

 

Tao’s POV

 

I still couldn’t believe how amazing Ae-Sook looked.

She looked completely different from the way she did at school. While she was at school she looked intimidating, but right now she looked like a beautiful, gentle young woman who had no problem being social with other people.

Her hair cascaded over the right side of her head, her straight bang now hanging in a swoop as she watched the world through the window.

Her makeup was very simple, but bold.

That audacious red lip was tempting to the point of just grabbing her and satisfying my urge to kiss her.

Could I do that?

I shook my head subtly and looked away.

This was a test of restraint.

 

Mi Hi’s POV

 

I sat on the couch in my living room, looking out of the window every couple of minutes for Tao’s limo. I was board out of my mind…why couldn’t they come faster?

2ne1, Two thousand and ten (2010).

You know how we do it.

If you ain’t know, now you know.

Let me show you somethin’ real quick…follow me!

I cut 2ne1’s song, ‘Follow Me’ off for Ae-Sook’s voice on the other end.

“Hey Mi Hi, we’re here, so come out.”

I opened the door and stepped out on the porch, expecting the limo when I was practically blinded by a nice looking black car. I saw Tao sitting in the driver’s seat and gaped.

He had a car? He can drive? When?

I climbed into the back seat.

“When did you get a car?!”

I yelled, making my two friends jump at the sudden increase in volume.

“My car was finally brought from China yesterday.”

I nodded and looked around the car. This car looked new, as in just came out this year new.

“OMG! This is a 2014 black Corvette Stingray! I these things are like, fifty grand!”

I saw Tao smile from the side.

“Actually, the more accurate price is fifty-one grand. I wanted the coupe model. The convertible’s fifty-six thousand.”

I clicked my tongue.

“Nice. Well come on people, we’ve got a party to go to!”

Tao pulled the car away from my house and was sped away into the night.

 

Your POV

 

We drove until we came across a street lined with mansions. The large house at the end of the street radiated with bursts of color, the large stone walls rapidly fading into other colors as loud music boomed from the property.

“Wow.”

As much as I hated Hye Su, her estate was marvelous! It looked like one of those glamorous houses that were used in movies.

I wasn’t the only one impressed. Mi Hi sighed dreamily behind me.

“This is amazing!”

Tao drove the car around where the escorts guided him, saying nothing.

We were about to get out of the car when Tao stopped us.

“Don’t forget about Hye Su’s plan. Just in case one of us runs into trouble or sees something suspicious, call one of us so the rest of us can help you. Here’s my number, 325-8713.”

Mi Hi and I typed Tao’s number into our friends’ list and I recited my number for Tao.

“Mine is 428-6934.”

Mi Hi was next.

“873-0192.”

“Good luck everyone.”

We all stepped out of the car.

 

Tao’s POV

 

I wasn’t sure how this night was going to turn out, but I was going to protect my date and Mi Hi to the best of my abilities.

Kris would do the same if we switched places. No had better lay a hand on Ae-Sook, or Mi Hi for that matter…

I s an arm around Ae-Sook’s waist and pulled Mi Hi a little closer with the other.

“Oh, you wanna look like a playa!”

Mi Hi remarked with a smile.

I smirked, still looking ahead as we entered the mansion. While it was tempting to play that role for a night, I shook my head.

“I don’t want anything to happen to you two. Help me make sure that nothing does.”

Mi Hi responded with a huff.

“I wanna have fun tonight, and that won’t happen if I’m stuck under you!”

I released my grip on the feisty brunette.

“Just remember to call if something goes awry.”

“I will Tao, I promise.”

She nodded and disappeared into the crowd of nearby students.

I was suddenly poked in the ribs. I glanced down to see Ae-Sook looking up at me.

“Come on Tao, try to have a little fun. Mi Hi is safe for now, see?”

The dark haired girl pointed to the long buffet table on the side of the dance floor. There, Mi Hi stood with a glass of soda in her hand as she watched everyone else around her dance.

“I guess you’re right. Are you-”

“E-excuse me, Ae-Sook?” We both turned to a girl with short red hair fidgeting as she looked around nervously. “May I um…borrow your phone?”

Ae-Sook took out her phone and unlocked it before she handed it to the girl.

The girl nodded her thanks and walked off.

I watched her walk out of the ballroom.

“Aren’t you going to follow her?”

Ae-Sook shook her head.

“Oh that’s just Hei Ryung. She always asks to use my phone…she doesn’t really talk much in school.”

“Are you okay with dancing right now?”

Ae-Sook looked away.

“I…um…can’t dance.”

I blinked. Taking a look around the dance floor, I noticed that everyone was coupling up for the slow song.

I held my hand out to her.

“That’s not a problem, just follow my lead.”

Ae-Sook smiled and accepted my offer. I led her to the dance floor. She put her hands on my shoulder and I put hand one on her waist and the other on her shoulder.

We started moving back and forth to the beat. I noted that she kept watch her feet.

I leaned in closer so that our foreheads touched.

Her dark eyes connected with mine instantly.

“Don’t hesitate. Just follow the rhythm, no one else here matters except you and me.”

She shivered and nodded, pulling herself closer to me.

 

Hye Su’s POV

 

When I saw Zitao and Ae-Sook dancing, it made me sick to my stomach.

“Eun, did you get the phone yet?”

The dark haired girl grabbed Hei Ryung by the back of her shirt.

“Hand it over, geek.”

The redheaded girl whined and tried to break away from the intimidating girl holding her in place, but to no avail. Eun rolled her eyes and flung the smaller girl into the wall behind her.

“Fine, be like that then.” Eun snatched the phone out of her hands and held it out to me. “There, are you happy now?”

I turned the phone over in my hands and searched Ae-Sook’s phone.

“Estatic.”

I gave Hei the phone back and Eun let the wimpy girl return it.

 

Mi Hi’s POV

 

I heard 2ne1’s song again from my open purse and walked out of the ballroom, heading down a large hallway to get to a bathroom. I opened the door and held the phone to my ear when I heard a click on the other end of the line.

“Well geez Ae-Sook, I knew I could’ve answered faster, but that was just rude!” I pushed the redial button when someone grabbed me from behind. “Sookie help m-” One of my attackers stuck a handkerchief under my nose and I out.

 

Your POV

 

The slow dance ended and a faster song had set in around us my senior class transitioned into dance moves better suited for the song.

I made a face at the certain switch of music.

Tao noticed me and smirked.

“You weren’t ready for the slow song to end?”

Tao started dancing first, making the small group around us stop and stare as he continued to dance to the beat.

I couldn’t tear my eyes away from him. It was like he had become one with the music, occasionally rolling when the music fit and starting a riot among the crowd.

I was impressed. Tao was really good!

Someone tapped me and I turned to see Hei Ryung again.

“Um, you should check your phone. I think someone tried to call you.”

The girl gave me my phone back before she scurried away into the crowd when I saw that I had missed a call from Mi Hi.

“I’ll be right back, Tao.” My date looked back at me questioningly and stopped dancing. “I’ll let you know if anything happens.”

Tao nodded and watched me disappear into the crowd.

As soon as I heard the message play out in the hallway, my eyes widened and I was surrounded by five men and Kang-Dae.

“Her too?”

One of the men asked.

Kang-Dae nodded and the other five guys rushed at me.

I dodged the first two easily, but the one behind went unnoticed and slammed into my back, knocking the breath out of me. I fell with him landing on top of me. My phone slid towards the ballroom double doors.

I couldn’t move, but I felt myself being tied up around my legs and arms. I started thrashing to throw them off.

Kang-Dae merely laughed.

“Woah, we have a feisty one.”

Just as they were wrapping up, the double doors opened to reveal Hei Ryung. She shrieked when she saw me.

“Hei, go get Tao now!” She just stood there, frozen and wide eyed. “HEI!”

There was a sharp pain on the side of my neck before the world darkened and the music faded from my ears.

 

Hei Ryung’s POV

 

I finally snapped out of my shock.

“Get her!”

Kang-Dae pointed to me and two guys came after me.

I grabbed Ae-Sook's phone before running back into the ballroom.

I ran into the crowd of dancing teenagers.

I needed to find Tao, fast.

 

Your POV

 

I woke up next to a struggling Mi Hi.

Her feet were bound, but her wrists were handcuffed to the bed rail.

I wiggled my wrists only to find metal cuffs around mine too.

“Crap, there’s nothing we can do.”

“I’m glad that at least one of you realized that.”

I looked around the room, but I failed to see where the voice had come from. A girl with long blond hair stepped into the light. Why did she look familiar?

“Ah, clone number two?”

Mi Hi’s comment racked my brain and then it hit me. She was the blonde behind Hye Su at Starbucks!

“It’s Cho Hee you freak.” The blonde’s phone lit up. “Ah, there’s my cue to leave. Good luck and I hope you have no gag reflexes.”

Cho Hee left the room.

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?”

Mi Hi yelled, suddenly pulling at her wrists.

“We need to get out of here now!”

We both pulled at the metal around our wrists until we ran out of energy. We were stuck.

Our only hope now was that Tao could somehow find us.

 

Hei Ryung’s POV

 

I crashed into nearly a dozen people before I finally found Tao. The boy kept scanning the crowd, looking for who I assumed were Ae-Sook and Mi Hi.

“Tao!”

He found me instantly.

“Have you seen Ae-Sook or Mi Hi?”

I handed him Ae-Sook’s phone.

“Yes, Ae-Sook was just attacked!”

Tao’s eyes darkened as soon as I said that.

“Do you know where they took her?”

I grimaced and looked down.

“They chased me away before I could find out where.”

“Who are they?”

Two men emerged from the crowd.

“Them.”

I clarified, pointing at the two older men.

“Step aside kid, we want the girl.”

Tao pulled me behind him.

“Well isn’t that too bad, looks like you won’t be getting your wish.”

The two men closed in on Tao, but he didn’t budge. He waited until one swung at him before he punched one of the men in the face.

I heard a snap.

The man stumbled back into the crowd, holding his now broken and bleeding nose. The man kneeled on the floor.

“You bastard!”

The other one hesitated and lunged at Tao, but Tao simply side-stepped him and grabbed his arm, twisting it behind the other guy’s back at an extremely odd angle.

“Tell me where those two girls are.”

Tao murmured, sending chills through the other man as he spoke.

‘I-I don’t know-”

Tao twisted his arm even more.

“Lie again and I’ll break your arm.” Scared of ending up like his friend, he told Tao everything he knew. Tao released his arm, but forced the man to the door. “Lead the way.”

The two vanished down the hallway.

 

Your POV

 

The door opened again.

This time I was able to pick out four figures. All of them were males.

“Wow, we have a lovely selection tonight…” Kang-Dae approached Mi Hi first. “Angel?” He asked, the girl’s cheek. Mi Hi growled. “Or demon?” The jock smiled and touched my cheek also. I tried to bite his hand, but he moved it back to his side too quickly. “Careful, they’re both aggressive.”

“I think I can handle the both of them.” There was a shift on the bed before he ran his hand up our legs. His hand stayed on mine. “I think I’ll play with her first.”

“Get your dirty hands off of me!”

“Oh come on, lighten up. It’s not like I’m going to hurt you.”

I started wiggling and thrashing underneath the man’s touch to get him away from me. I was so focused on the guy on the bed that I didn’t notice Kang-Dae right next to me.

When I did, it was too late.

His lips crashed into mine and mercilessly pillaged my mouth, not stopping until the taste of blood struck both of our senses. His forceful tongue then moved to my collarbone before he bit the fragile skin harshly.

“Stop it! Get off now!”

The other two started approaching Mi Hi.

She pulled on her restraints again before they were close enough should she actually manage to free herself. Sadly the rail wouldn’t budge at all.

I was brought back to my situation when I felt the first guy move closer to me. He grabbed my chin roughly and kissed me also, this time I bit his tongue and he jumped back, stunned.

“She bit me! The little bit me!”

There was loud smack that seemed to echo around the room.

I in a breath and shuttered. My cheek stung so badly…

Tears started to gather in my eyes before they fell, trailing towards my ears.

“Ae-Sook!”

I slowly turned my head back to her.

Mi Hi’e eyes were wide with fright when one of the men next to her took out a knife.

“No! Stay away from me!”

The brunette started kicking at them before the other one pinned her legs back on the bed.

The door suddenly burst open, revealing two men.

The first one fell to the floor, unconscious. I could barely see the other one, but I recognized the other’s walk straightaway.

My lips moved before I realized it.

“Tao!”

 

Tao’s POV

 

I took a second to scan the room.

Four guys.

One with a knife next to Mi Hi, another one held her down. The other two were close to Ae-Sook. One was on the bed and the other was standing.

A red mark was on Ae-Sook’s cheek.

I closed the door and locked it.

 

Your POV

 

I’ve never seen Tao move so fast before. In a moment he had disarmed the men next to Mi Hi and knocked them out before punching the guy on the bed next to me he fell off the bed.

Kang-Dae moved away to make a run for the door when Tao blocked him.

“Get out the way, Panda.”

Tao replied with a roundhouse kick that made Kang-Dae stumble five feet back into a wall. The next kick landed on his neck.

“Keys.” Tao stated in a deadly tone, showing that he was highly pissed. Kang-Dae grinned, but was cut off when Tao added more pressure. “Give them to me. Now.”

Kang-Dae fished around in his pocket and gave them to Tao who released him. The jock slid to the floor and Tao unlocked our handcuffs.

He released me first before he made his way to Mi Hi.

“Thank you, Tao.”

Mi Hi said, rubbing her wrists.

“T-thanks…Tao.” I murmured, knowing that he heard the pain in my voice. I felt his gaze on me as I stood up. “I-I want to go home.”

Tao nodded and handcuffed the unconscious men to the bed before he called the police.

I walked out of the mansion along with Tao and Mi Hi.

Tao unlocked the car door for us and we got in. As soon as I closed the door, the impact of what just happened hit me tenfold and I broke down in tears.

“Sookie…I’m so sorry.”

Mi Hi hugged me from the back seat and I continued to cry.

 

Mi Hi’s POV

 

I’m so stupid…I never thought that Hye Su would plan something like this.

I thought that Hye Su would try to dump paint on us or something, but this went way too far.

I kept whispering comforting words into her ear to calm her down and it somewhat worked.

“T-thank you, Mi Hi.”

I’ll deal with her later for hurting Ae-Sook like this.

 

Tao’s POV

 

When I heard Ae-Sook crying in the car, my heart broke for her.

Two police cars pulled up and I told them what happened and where the men that attacked the two girls are.

“Alright, but we also need to talk to the girls for the rest of the story.”

 

Your POV

 

Someone tapped on the window. It was a police woman. She smiled at me and Mi Hi.

“May I speak to you girls for a moment? Can you tell me what happened to you tonight?”

We told her our stories while she jotted the notes down.

“I’m terribly sorry for what happened to you, but it sounds like you’ve got one hell of a friend to put his life on the line like that for you two.”

She said, gesturing to Tao a distance away from her.

“Yeah, we do.”

I smiled.

 

Tao’s POV

 

The policemen dismissed us and headed inside the mansion.

I got into my car and pulled out of the parking space before I drove Mi Hi home first. I needed to talk to Ae-Sook alone.

 

Your POV

 

Ten minutes later, we arrived at Mi Hi’s house.

The brunette said goodbye to us and got out of the car.

I sighed.

“Ae-Sook.” I glanced over at Tao. “I’m sorry I wasn’t there in time…I should’ve been there.”

I shook my head.

“No Tao, you came at just the right moment. Had you’ve not been there showed up when you did…”

I covered my hands with my face, trying to stop the tears. I felt his arms wrap around me and pulled me close to him.

“Don’t even think about it anymore, baby. I’m here for you. Just know that you can trust me.”

I buried my face in his suit jacket, feeling safe and warm in his embrace. He tenderly lifted my chin so that our gazes met again.

I in a breath when I saw the hurt in his eyes.

His voice broke as he spoke.

“Ae-Sook, I’ll never let anything like that happen again, I promise.”

I smiled and Tao pulled me closer so that our lips touched. The kiss was quick and chaste, but there was a spark there that I liked.

Tao released me quickly.

“Sorry!” Tao rubbed his neck uncomfortably. “I um-”

I giggled and kissed him back while wrapping my arms around his neck. He had nothing to be sorry for.

His response was automatic, this time he my lips for entry and I let him in. Our tongues moved against each other sinfully and I let him win before we broke apart again.

“Wow…feel better?” He asked as our foreheads collided harmlessly. I nodded and pecked his lips again. “You still want to go home?”

I sighed before nodding. It was late and Kwan would be getting worried at about this time.

“It’s for the best Tao.”

He smiled and pulled out of Mi Hi’s driveway before he laughed.

“What? What’s so funny?”

Tao glanced at me as he took off down the road.

“If only Mi Hi saw us…”

I had to laugh too. I could literally see her jumping and pointing at the window in absolute joy.

“She’ll find out soon enough if she missed it.”

Tao pulled into my driveway.

“Goodnight, Ae-Sook.”

I leaned over and kissed his cheek.

“Goodnight, Tao.”

I exited his car and walked to my porch only to have the door pulled open by my brother.

“You’re late.” I smiled and run up the stairs to my room. “Goodnight, rule breaker!”

“Goodnight, moocher!”

I took a shower and changed for bed.

Hye Su’s plan didn't ruin my night.

She sped up our relationship instead.

 

Author's Note: Aw, the ending's so sweet. I was actually listening to EXO's song, 'Baby Don't Cry' when I wrote that...don't forget to leave your comments below and I'll update as soon as I can. Bye!