Chapter 1

Pink Mermaid Tears...

 

 

(BGM : Baby Don't Cry -Exo  *set it on replay please~~* For both chapters to "feel" the story even better~~)

 

 

“This is a piece of fine china made with jade and it has detailed gold lining…”

“Woo!!!~~~” Cheered the crowd.

 

Well, except me.

 

I was scrolling through pages and pages of Tumblr, legs crossed and arms folded.

 

I just don’t get why father had to ask me to go to this boring auction.

 

 

 

*Mini-flashback*

 

“Rinnie ah…” My father called out to me.

 

As usual, I was on my computer listening to music and scrolling through new feeds.

 

I took out one of my earphones, “Yeah?” I shouted back.

 

 

“Rinnie ah…” My father shouts again.

 

“Yes?” I tried shouting louder this time.

 

“Come to my office now.” He said, practically shouting across.

 

“Our rooms weren’t THAT FAR, DAD.”

 

I stood up restlessly, leaving my earphones behind and took my cup of milk, heading towards his room.

Which is also his office.

 

I knocked twice on the door, “Come in dear.” He said.

 

“Dad, seriously, can we just-“

 

“Baby…” He interrupted me, and stretched his “baby” for an unnecessarily long time.

 

I sighed.

 

He probably needs me to do something for him again.

He always uses this technique on me.

 

Honestly, it fails hard but I never told him.

 

“What is it?” I replied.

 

“Baby, can you help your dad to go to an auction? I had an important meeting later on and I just remembered I have this auction on a cruise that I need to go…”

 

“Dad…” I rubbed my temples.

 

“What’s with you and your auctions…” I sighed again, walking towards to his desk, putting my cup on his coffee table.

 

“You know what? I shall give you a 10 million to play today.” He pinched my cheek and smiled at me.

I lifted a questioning brow at him; he never gives me so much for an auction before…

 

“Why so much? You’ve got your eyes on something right?” I narrowed my eyes at him.

 

He faked a cough and smiled.

“No wonder you’re my daughter.” He my hair.

 

“Aish…Don’t.” I smacked his hand away playfully.

 

“What is it?” I asked, looking at his face, his eyes were shining…

 

“I want this.” He showed me a pamphlet.

 

A necklace?

10 million for a necklace?

 

“Dad, do you have to spend so much-”

 

“Baby…it’s important that I get this. Please? After this, I’ll give you a personal dessert chef like you wanted.” He takes my cup of milk and drinks it.

 

“Yah, my milk…” I grabbed my cup back from him.

 

“Fine.”

 

*Flash-back end*

 

 

 

 

And that explains the reason why I’m at the auction.

 

The auction was really boring because none of the items interested me.

 

“Thank you for being patient with us, we now announce that the first half of the auction is over! Please help yourself to the snacks provided.” The host of the auction said.

 

“Urgh…finally.” I stood up and went to the toilet to relieve myself.

 

After coming out of the toilet, I could see many successful entrepreneurs, heir and heiresses socializing.

 

For me, I’m neither. So you probably wouldn’t see anyone trying to socialize with me.

 

I turned to look at the right, and there were many types of desserts on display.

Oh my god…

 

Crème brulee…fruit tarts, cream puffs, strawberry cheesecake, and a chocolate fountain…??!!

 

I’m starting to think that the host knows all my favourite desserts or it’s really a huge coincidence.

Or…the host stalks my Twitter…or Tumblr.

 

I shivered at the thought.

 

I hope I’m just thinking too much.

 

I went to the chocolate fountain and admired it.

 

Yes, I did.

I’m ADMIRING the fountain.

 

It’s beautiful…

 

“Enjoying the sight?”

 

I turned my head at that deep raspy voice.

 

Oh, it’s him.

 

He’s Kris Wu, aged 23.

The youngest successful entrepreneur.

 

I saw him at a few auctions before.

This is my third or fourth time seeing him…

 

“Umm…yeah.”

 

Oh, and did I tell you?

I AM NOT GOOD AT SOCIALIZING.

 

Awkward penguin is my little nickname on Tumblr.

LAUGH ALL YOU WANT. T^T

 

“Not eating?” He asked me, as he looks at my empty plate.

 

“I…”

“You should eat. It’s going to be really draining later.” He advised.

 

“Okay.” I nodded obediently.

 

I do not, under any circumstances; get angry at someone was is both handsome and successful.

It was set as my golden rule since I’m only a daughter of her father’s company.

Not an heiress or anyone that held power.

 

“What do you like?” He asked.

 

Oh, he’s still here?!

 

“…I actually like everything here.” I said very softly.

 

I really don’t want him to get the impression that I’m a glutton.

 

“Have this.” He took a crème brulee and put it on my plate.

“Thanks…”

 

“They used the finest food in all of the desserts so feel free to help yourself.” He smiled and went to grab a few fruit tarts and…he was gone.

 

I grabbed some apple and blueberry pie and went to sit at the nearest table that was unoccupied.

 

I sighed, I didn’t want the conversation to end that fast.

 

As I ate my last blueberry pie, I reminisced the conversations that we had.

The first time I met him, I was totally spellbound by him.

 

He was in a suit.

Black coat and white long sleeve smart shirt.

 

Classy and never out of style.

However, he had a pink bow.

 

I couldn’t say that the pink bow doesn’t fit him but it felt weird.

The first time when our eyes meet, it was because I was gawking at his face.

 

I was drinking my orange juice while I checked him out.

 

He was chatting happily with his other friends and I was looking at him from afar.

 

Eventually, I think his friends caught me red handed and told him.

 

Then, he looks at me which I “forgot” to look away…because his eyes were like a black hole that your soul in.

 

That was pretty embarrassing if you ask me…luckily I didn’t creep him out too much.

I think.

He even came to me and said hello.

 

“Honored guests, please be seated as the second half of the auction is going to start.”

 

I returned to my seat, surprised to find out that the person that originally sat next to me changed.

 

“Hey.” Kris greeted.

 

“Hi.” I sat down awkwardly.

 

As the host passed the microphone to the emcee, the emcee continued helping to “sell” the different types as things.

 

I was not looking at all as…

How could you concentrate with a charismatic guy just beside you?!

 

“5 million!” Kris suddenly raised his hand and shouted.

 

Scaring the heck out of me…

 

I turned to the stage to look; it was the necklace that my dad wanted.

 

“Going thrice, sold!”

 

Crap, I was too late!

 

I don’t know how I am going to tell my father about this…

“Oh, I was too distracted by a guy and didn’t notice?”

 

I would probably be grounded or something…

 

The auction ended and I was going to be beheaded…because I have never seen my father wanting something so much…

 

Kris turned to look at me and he caught me staring at him again.

 

“Um…I…Would you like to join me for dinner?” I asked very quickly, and without even looking at him.

I was staring somewhere else when asking.

 

“…Sure. But next time…”

He hooked my chin and turned my face to him.

 

“Please ask me face to face, it’ll be a lot nicer that way.” He gave me a cold smile and stood up.

 

I was shocked at the sudden change of behavior and everything that was happening right now.

 

Kris Wu, is having dinner with me…?

And also, how did he manage that cold image…

 

“Time isn’t going to stop for anyone, so are we going now?” He asked, I could sense the irritation in his voice.

I quickly stood up and before I knew it, I managed to trip over myself.

 

I was about to fall face to floor and was prepared but a pair of arms caught me just in the nick of time.

 

“Be careful.” He frowns and shakes his head.

 

I’m at the point where I’m angry and embarrassed.

 

“Thank you…” I balanced myself and gave him a little bow.

 

“Can I choose the restaurant?” He asked me abruptly, holding his phone and pen.

 

“Yeah, sure.”

Shamefully speaking, I didn’t have a place in mind when I asked him out for dinner.

 

“Yes. A table for two. What do you mean- I don’t care. When I reach there, I expect a table.” He ends the call angrily.

 

Whoa, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

 

As he rubs his temples, I bravely caught his wrist and gave him a small bottle of medicated oil which I always carry around.

 

I know it’s for old people but hey…I kinda like the smell.

 

“Thanks.” He receives it and puts some on his temples.

 

“Yah, don’t rub it roughly. Aish! Give me that.” I take back the bottle and got him to bend down for me so that I can help him apply properly.

 

I rubbed gently and he seems to like it as he closed his eyes.

 

His eyelashes are long and thick…sharp features and pretty eyes.

I bet his mother is a really gorgeous woman.

I didn’t see either of his parents before but I’ve heard that Mrs Wu is really youthful and pretty.

 

“There.” I stopped.

 

He opens his eyes and stares at me… for a minute I think.

“Yes?” I bit my bottom lip and asked, starting to feel a bit uncomfortable.

 

“Nothing. Let’s go.” He grabs my hand and pulls me along with him.

 

He brought me to the restaurant on the cruise which was marine-themed.

When I went inside, what wow-ed me the most was that we’ll get to see the marine life while dining!

 

We settled down at the table but I can’t help to keep turning my head towards the glass to see them.

 

Fishes, dolphins, even sea turtles and sharks!

 

Yikes! One of the sharks got really close and I almost jumped out of my seat.

 

“Relax, the glass you see here is very durable. They won’t be able to attack you.” Kris assured me.

 

I nodded and tried to behave like an adult.

 

The dishes came and none of them were seafood, which was good.

 

I won’t bear to eat seafood in front of those cute marine lives…its cruelty.

And, I’m apparently allergic to seafood.

 

“Thanks for not ordering seafood.” I said my thanks to Kris as he nodded and puts a piece of chicken chop into his mouth.

 

“You’re a - I meant, you probably wouldn’t feel good eating seafood in front of them, I figured.” He said, and quickly drank half of his glass of water.

 

I wondered at what he wanted to say at first.

Oh, and I need to buy the necklace back from him.

 

I drank some sips of my soft drink and picked up my courage to ask.

“Kris, about the necklace…”

 

Kris puts down his cutleries and looks at me.

 

“Yes, what about it?” He clasped his hands.

 

“Can I buy it from you for a higher price?”

 

“No.”

 

That was fast.

 

“Why not?” I asked.

 

“You don’t know how much it means to me. Firstly, what is the name of the necklace?” He eyed me and gave me a smug look like he expected me not to be able to know.

 

“The Mermaid’s Tear.” I said, looking back confidently.

 

“How-”

 

“In 1958, a little old boy claimed that he saw a mermaid crying and drew a painting of the mermaid. The painting shocked the whole world; however many other people joked and referred his drawing as purely an imagination.”

 

“And…?”

 

“In 1990s, a jewelry designer got inspired and created a beautiful necklace. It was named Mermaid’s Tear because the designer took it from the painting’s name, “The Mermaid’s Tears”.”

 

I bet I’ve got him impressed.

I always do my homework before any auction.

 

“Why was the jewel of Mermaid’s Tear pink and instead of blue?”

 

Okay, that question stumped me.

I don’t know how to answer that.

 

“In the painting, the mermaid’s tears were pink and thus, the jewel.” He drank a mouthful as he eyed me again.

 

“I’m sorry but I can’t sell you the necklace...however, I’m pretty interested what you’re willing to do for it.” He continued.

 

 

“Anything but selling myself.” I replied bluntly.

 

He chuckled at my reply.

 

“Hmm…Straight forward. Good.” He stood up and walked to me, pulling me up to him.

 

“Accompany me the whole night. And I’ll give you the necklace for free.”