Daehyun Special

B.A.P. Oneshots II

This was written for my other blog, fresh-collaboration but I wanted to share with you guys as well.

Double update so go read the Yongguk if you haven't ^^ And this is more Christmas like but the girl wanted what she wanted XD

The second hand on the clock has made another revolution and was now once more centimeters away from the largely printed ‘12.’ There it went. Another minute has gone by and the girl was still sitting by the booth, nursing her hot chocolate which probably wasn’t so hot anymore. 

Daehyun continued to vigorously wipe at the counter, getting rid of any coffee residues and watched her with interest. Ever since six, when she first pushed open the doors to the cafe, she’s been sitting there, staring out the window. Once in a while she would take out her phone, look at it and sigh a little. It seems as if with every sigh, she caved in a little more on herself.

It was almost time for them to close but he was the only one on the shift so he decided to give her more time. She was still blowing on her hot chocolate, although, by now, it was definitely cold. The whipped cream has melted and the top layer was now a lighter brown rather than the rich dark brown he had prided himself on making. The marshmallows had added to the light coloring. 

Daehyun walked to the back of the cafe and made another one for her. He noticed that it had started snowing outside. The Christmas tree by the corner was glowing and it was officially going to be Christmas in two hours. He sighed and wondered what a pretty girl like her was doing, all alone on such a happy holiday.

He walked out and, careful not to disturb her, took away her mug and replaced it with another. He admired his handiwork; somehow he had managed to make the whipped cream come out in the shape of a frazzled evergreen.

"Oh, thank you," she looked up at him.

Daehyun shrugged. “It’s not a problem. It’s my job isn’t it?" Then because she looked almost desperate for human company, he placed the mug next to him and sat down in front of her. “So who are you waiting for?"

She bit her lip and he was scared he had overreached himself. “If you want to keep it to yourself, don’t hesitate to tell me to shut up," he offered cheerfully. “I’m just the nosy barista."

The girl laughed a little and tilted her head back. “I was supposed to meet a date here."

"Ah, a date or a boyfriend? There’s a difference."

She shrugged. “Some guy my friends wanted me to build a relationship with. But he must have forgot."

"How could anyone forget that they have a date with such a pretty girl like you?" Daehyun was honestly baffled.

She blushed and carefully picked up the mug he had placed in front of her and brought it to her lips. “Be careful, it’s slightly hot." She took a sip and he grinned. She had a slight mustache from the cream.

Her tongue came out to it away and Daehyun cocked his head. “How much longer do you plan on waiting?"

"The hot chocolate is great," she blurted at the same time. He gave a small laugh and gestured for her to continue. “It has the right amount of cocoa in it and I liked the marshmallows and the peppermint bark you included." Daehyun bowed, accepting her compliment.

She sighed. Outside, tiny snowflakes were falling gently against the sidewalk. The cafe lights were dimmed so that it was basically just the Christmas lights that were giving any light in general. “I’ve been waiting a long time, haven’t I?" she asked.

Daehyun nodded. “Yeah. It’s been a while. I think you walked in at six."

"He was supposed to meet me at six thirty and I figured I should be early."

He stood and placed the cold mug into the sink and started to clean that up. When he turned around, he saw that she was staring at him. “Why are youhere alone on Christmas Eve?"

Daehyun gave her a lopsided grin. “Consequences of the job. It’s one of our busiest days but when it’s over, it’s over. I guess I have nothing much to go home to."

"No girlfriend waiting with a cooked meal?" she teased.

"Nope, not so lucky." He replied. Then on a whim, he went into the back and brought out more goods for her.

He placed a peach cobbler before her and a plate of Christmas cookies. He sat across from her with his cheesecake and mocha. She looked at him. “Is this all for me?"

Daehyun nodded. “Yeah, eat well." She bit into a cookie and smiled.

"This is good. Did you make it?"

He shook his head. “I make the drinks but the pastries is all my colleague. She has a magical touch."

The girl took another sip of her hot cocoa and grimaced. “I’m sorry I’m taking up your time. You should go home by now."

He shrugged. “Nothing to do at home. It’s much better to keep another lonely soul company, isn’t it?"

She smiled shyly at him. “Thank you."

Her phone broke the silence and he waited patiently while she answered. “I guess I won’t be seeing you again," she hung up. She looked at Daehyun. “He said he thought he told me he wasn’t coming." Then she shrugged. “Guess that answers your question. I don’t have to wait anymore."

Daehyun stood the same time she did and she offered to take the plates to the back for him. He took it from her. “I can walk you home if you like," he offered.

She looked at him and by some miracle, her eyes brightened. “Will you really?" She looked at his name tag. “I can’t believe I never bothered learning your name, Daehyun." She told him hers and he repeated it.

"That’s a really pretty name." She cast her eyes down and blushed. Daehyun led her out into the snow and locked the cafe doors behind him. 

Christmas carols were ringing out in the streets and he sang along. The snow was still falling and lights brightened every corner. He let her lead him on her way home and he gently took her hand to keep her from slipping. She looked at him and gave a shy smile.

Maybe it wouldn’t be such a lonely Christmas this year.

~ * * * ~