Youngjae 72

B.A.P. Oneshots II

            There always came a time in one’s life when one goes through major reflection. Youngjae was willing to accept this self-discovery but what he did not expect was to be meeting the future him. He was sure he wasn’t dreaming because he was standing right there, in front of the mirror and he saw what definitely was an older version of himself.

            Youngjae freaked a little. W-would he really bald like that? No, no. He must be seeing things. There is no way that he was seeing a future of himself. Maybe this was a bad dream. Yes, now he was going to convince himself that he was dreaming. Were those wrinkles? And why was he shorter? Did he have a small pot belly? What the heck?         

            Youngjae blinked rapidly, trying to shake the apparition away but every time his eyes opened, the old man was still there. The man gave a small smirk. It was his signature smirk. He sees it every time he practiced it in the mirror. This was too scary for him.

            “Hey, if you’re thinking that you are quite possibly seeing the future you, you got it!” The old Youngjae in the mirror winked at him. “And if you think you’re crazy, I’d stop that right now. I don’t want you living into this ripe old age thinking that you’re a lunatic, okay? But yeah right now, you’re about to get some pretty stellar advice.”

            Youngjae shifted and stared at his aged reflection, crossing his arms. His reflection didn’t follow. “I don’t know how you got to where I am now, but let me tell you, we’re living a pretty darn good life right now. I know for a fact that B.A.P will make it big. Like big.” And the elder man stretched his arms as wide as it would go. Youngjae winced, seeing the stomach jut out a little. He would need to make a reminder to work out even when he was getting old.

            “Dude, we’re so big that even when I go out in the streets now, I see fans who grew old with us. Just something to look forward to.” His reflection nodded seriously and Youngjae felt utterly bewildered. “Do you have any questions?”

            “Yeah. Why are you here?”

            Oldjae, because that was what Youngjae wants to call him, shrugged. “Not everyone gets lucky enough to meet their future you know. I just want to make sure you take good care of yourself so that you can reach where I am. But that’s a boring question. Don’t you want to know who you married? What about everyone?”

            Youngjae folded his arms. “Yeah, what happened after B.A.P?”

            “Ah, I don’t know the exact steps but you somehow managed to have a medical license hanging in the room right now. The grandkids are doing fine, you know. You have five, and another one coming. Or rather, we, I have five. The wife? She’s beautiful, even now.”

            This was all too much at once. “Wait. How old are you? I’m married and I have five, six grandchildren? How many kids do I have? Are we all breeding like rabbits now?”

            Oldjae raised an eyebrow in obvious offense. “Excuse me? You have three kids. Each child has two. Looks like you’re the one breeding like rabbits. Who told you to get so excited? I’m just here, enjoying the pension and the baby laughter.”

            Youngjae couldn’t absorb the absurdity of it all. He was really going batty if his future self was not only telling him about a life he hasn’t lived but also scolding him. “Okay. And what about the other members?”

            At this, his reflection turned a bit solemn. “Something must have happened between you and Daehyun because I know that to this day, I haven’t spoken to him.”

            A rock plummeted in Youngjae’s heart. “Y-you don’t know what happened?”

            The old man screwed up his right eye in deep thought. “It had something to do with, I think too many denials of being best friends or something like that.” He looked at Youngjae and laughed out loud. “Look at you! You’re already panicking about the thought aren’t you?” He laughed. “I’m kidding. I just saw him and his grandchildren a few days ago. You’re still best friends, and everyone still is like family.”

            This placated Youngjae and he nodded. “I guess that’s all I need to know. Are you- am I happy?”

            Oldjae grinned and flashed his younger self the largest smile he could. “Happy as a clam. Live well, Youngjae, and when you get to my age, we’ll be happy together.”

            “Now can you release me from this dream?”

            The older man raised an eyebrow and laughed. “What makes you think this is a dream? If you think it’s a dream, all you need to do is open your eyes.”

            And Youngjae did. But Oldjae was still there. The man in the reflection grinned and waved. “Alright, gotta go now. See you in the future!” And that was when Youngjae was finally able to wake up.

 

enjoy