Himchan 72

B.A.P. Oneshots II

            When he got the invitation, Himchan didn’t want to go. It was the five year reunion and he didn’t really want to miss seeing his best friends. He was done running away. And so Himchan RSVPed and put the date on his calendar. He was going to go and if she showed up, then he would handle it with grace.

            They had all gotten the invitation to her wedding. It was two years ago and marked three years after they broke up. And that had hurt. Five years of his life he had spent with her, and it only took one to convince her that the other was the one for her. He had been bitter for the longest time but now he was over it. Over her? He wasn’t so sure. But definitely over it, whatever it was.

            He dressed casually that day. He didn’t do anything out of the ordinary and stared at his reflection. There was no visible sign of age, much to his surprise. He buttoned his black dress shirt and grabbed his jacket, mentally steeling himself.

            The reunion was at a large party space and he smiled slightly when he saw everyone. They all looked as if they were doing well. Some had graduated and gone straight into jobs, and were now super successful.

            “Yongguk! What are you up to?” Himchan greeted the man he had considered his best friend.

            Yongguk turned around and threw an arm over his shoulder. “Kim Himchan! How was Europe? You left and never told me when you came back.” Himchan coughed a little uncomfortably. After they broke up, he had gone to Europe for a long business stay for nearly eight months. When he came back, he came back to her wedding invitation.

            Himchan laughed and clapped Yongguk’s back. “Sorry. Two years was a while right? I hear you’re working with a music company? I always knew you would be a successful producer.”

            More of their friends came in and Himchan was glad he came. After he dropped everyone for Europe, he hadn’t bothered to keep in contact, only occasionally calling but never meeting. He willed himself not to look around for her. He was not about to bring back old memories.

            The space was too large and it was just Yongguk who stuck with Himchan as they made the rounds. “So, anyone in your life?”

            Himchan looked up and saw Yongguk smiling at him. He shook his head. “Not yet. The advertisement industry has shallow women. Not my style. You?”

            Yongguk coughed. “There is one, but it’s still the early stages, so I’ll keep you posted.”

            Himchan smiled lightly at his best friend. Yongguk deserved all the best, and he was also grateful that he hadn’t brought up her. Maybe she wouldn’t come today. Himchan was going to leave after this last round. But a new surge of people came in and he saw Youngjae, a prodigy many years younger but who was still in their class. And so he stayed a little longer.

            She materialized out of nowhere by his elbow. Himchan had gone to the coat rack to finally leave and she was suddenly next to him. “Himchan,” she greeted him. He turned in surprise. “Long time no see.”

            He was proud of his heart for not beating and slamming wildly. But he hated the dry, hollow feeling in the pit of his stomach. “How are you?” He asked politely. 

            She looked down at her hands, and played with the ring on her finger. He glanced at it before looking away again. “I’m alright. Want to talk? Stay a little longer. I just got here.”

            He glanced at the time. He technically had to meet someone but he could afford to spare ten minutes. He followed her into a more secluded area, laughter spilling from behind the closed doors.

            “How are you?” She asked him. Conversation felt strained.

            Himchan gave her a small tug of his lips. Not enough of a smile but something pleasant enough to be polite. He didn’t owe her anything else. “Getting along. Work is well, and I’m content. You? How’s the marriage? Any kids yet?” He asked the questions in a rush. He was genuinely curious, and for a second he was afraid the answers would kill him.

            “Ah,” she looked sadly at him, staring into his eyes a little longer than necessary. “Not going so well. I miscarried and he, we don’t get along anymore.”

            “Oh.” He didn’t know how to respond. But there was no cheering in his heart. He reached out to touch her shoulders lightly, the only thing he’ll allow himself. “You can make it work. You were always good at it when you set your mind to it.” Whether that was a jab, he didn’t know. But he didn’t like to see himself as a petty person. He had meant what he said. “I need to go. I promised someone I would have dinner with them. I’ll see you.”

            She looked at him in surprise, and was that disappointment? “Ah, can I have your number? I would hate to lose contact again.”

            Himchan smiled and wrote down his new number and placed it in front of her. “Call me whenever.” He nodded at her and walked away.

            Dinner went fantastically. The new partner had been witty, clever and intriguing. Himchan was interested. He was happy. His phone beeped. It was a text from his colleague. “Hey, coffee tomorrow? As a way to celebrate my joining into your office? Your treat?”

            He laughed. She had spunk. He texted back. “I’ll consider this as a favor you’ll owe me.”

            It was only a few weeks later that he remembered he had given her his number and she still hadn’t contacted him. Yongguk had been in touch multiple times .They were going to have lunch tomorrow. But she never contacted. He shrugged and let the thought slip. He never expected her to call anyway.

 

sorry for not updating in so long :/

This is for MusicChibi. I miss seeing your comments on this page >-< I hope you recover soon and come back~