Tall Men and Hoochy Mamas

The Honor House

Mae POV

"What do you mean, there's no room in the girl's dorms?!" Abi clicked her nails on the granite desk, giving the secretary a glare. "What do you expect us to do, just pack up and go back to America? MIja, you have got to be joking."

I pushed her aside, smiling at the poor woman. "Hi, Ms. Park," I said, using formal Korean. Her expression of horror relaxed into one of comfortability. "What seems to be the problem?"

"There is a problem with your rooming schedule. The girl's dorms are full... I am afraid we can only place you one other place." She said, shifting in her seat slightly.

That was when I realized how doused in perfume the lady was and almost choked.

"...What.. is that?" I managed, backing away from the desk a little. 

She bit her lip. "Well. We don't really ever do this.. actually, we never do this." 

I clenched down on my gum in irritation. "And this would be..." 

"The Honor House."

I turned to them with a happy smile, saying, "Hey, guys, we have a place!"

MIcah smiled, relieved.

"Where?" Abi asked, adjusting my bag on my shoulder. 

"It's called The Honor House." 

Micah POV

"The Honor House. Huh, sounds kind of... ancient." I noted, following the secretary as she led us somewhere. The campus was, undeniably, beautiful. We were in the housing section. There were three large dorms; the boys, the girls, and facility.

So the teachers live here too...? 

Then the scenery changed; but not in a bad way. Nope, the opposite. 

We passed a sign that read, "The Honor House. No Trespassers." 

Weird. My breath caught in my throat. Now, mind you, I am not one for anything pink or fluffy. I mean, not usually. But this was... AWESOME. Cherry trees lined the path we were walking on, giving the whole walk a kind of surreal feeling. Every third tree there was a lampost. 

I knew right away I was going to like this place.

Abi POV

We trudged up to the "Honor House," following behind the secretary chick. She was wearing a pencil skirt and heels. I even caught her undoing a button on her blouse as we walked over here- I really wanted to start singing a song I made up about… flirts… called "Hoochy Mamma." It goes something like this:

"Hoochy, hoochy mamma, don't ya, don't ya wanna, pull your skirt down, pull your shirt up, you don't got nothing to show, just so you know, do you wanna be known as a hoe? And no, I'm not talkin bout the garden tool, you think you're so cool. You're not. You look like a fool. Oh, hooch, hooch, hoochy mamma!" 

Mae sent me a death glare. Oops. Must not have been singing that in my head. Thankfully, the secretary didn't seem to notice that the song was about her. Either that or she didn't understand it, since it was in English. 

"Hoochy mamma, ay?" I heard a voice smirk from behind me and turned, walking backward, to find a super, super tall guy leaning against the fence.

"DANG. YOU'RE TALL!" I exclaimed, then clapped my hand over my mouth. "I-I mean, hi, how are you? Or… what was it… uh.. anyeongsaehyo?" 

He chuckled. "I speak English." 

I stomped my foot, somewhat childishly, I'll admit, then glared at him. "I know that! I need to practice my Korean though! UGH what is with these Canadians?!" 

Eyebrows raised, his expression was amused, mouth quirked in a slight grin. "You can tell I'm Canadian?"

I shrugged. "Guess so!" 

"Hey, watch ou-" He began, but too late. I slammed into something behind me. 

A warm something. 

A warm… very human like something. 

Mae. 

"Uh… sorry Mae." She looked at me, then looked up at Kris. 

We were standing on the porch of a beautiful home. 

"What… who are you?" She asked. 

Mr. Tall Canadian looked confused too. "Wait; why are you here?" He asked at the same time.

She gave him a weird look. "Uh… we're moving in," She gestured to Micah and I.

Micah was staring at Kris with a bored expression. Hoochy- I mean, Ms. Park, the secretary, said something to Mr. Tall Canadian Guy in  speedy Korean; making sure to look up at him from under her lashes as she did so.It was obviously something really strange because his eyes flew open and he started spewing out gibberish. Well, it sounded like gibberish to me. I think it was Chinese and Korean.

"Dude, chill," Micah said, giving him an irritated glance. "Our dorms are full. it up." She said. 

OOOOhhh. So they must have been talking about our rooming situation. Wait… what does that have to do with Mr. Tall Canadian Guy?

"I live here," He glanced at me, frustration flickering in his eyes. "And my name is not Mr. Tall Canadian Guy. It's Kris." 

"Oh. Did I say that out loud? Sorry!" I gave him a guilty look and decided it would be best if I kept my mouth shut- "WAIT WHAT?! YOU LIVE HERE?!" 

I turned to Mae and Micah, panic evident in my mannerisms. "Crap, guys, this is not cool! We can't room with a guy!" 

I turned back to look at… Kris… and then at the secretary. "Please say he doesn't live here," I pleaded. She looked at me, slightly confused.

Kris snorted. "Uh, sorry, but I'm not the only guy."

My eyes were wider than the ocean by that point. "Wh…what?!"

Mae and I exchanged worried glances. Micah was just irritated. 

"Good grief. This is what I get, leaving the comfort of my cozy little room…" She mumbled, folding her arms over her chest. I almost laughed. She and Kris were in parallel positions, both irritated, both folding their arms, both looking down at me as if I was the one to blame. 

"What?" I squeaked, for the second time, then pointed at Mae. "It was Mae's idea too!" 

Mae kicked my shoe. "Shut up, Abi! You know how Micah gets when she's mad!"

"I'm not mad." Micah stated calmly, then turned to Kris. "Can you please ask her if there are any vacant dorms or houses or whatever? I don't speak very fluent Korean, but I think it would be best if we got this settled before it gets dark."

Kris nodded, curtly, then said something to the lady. Who was giving him a very clear view of her chest.

"Hoochy…" I hummed. Mae gave me another look. 

"If you keep singing that, it's going to get stuck in my head, and then I'm going to be mad, and then I'm going to have to kill someone. Namely, a girl named Abi."

I gulped. 

Micah POV

The tall guy was staring down at me, an unspoken challenge in his eyes.

I took in his appearance, folding my own arms over my chest and taking a kind of army stance, if you will. 

Leather jacket, black and gray striped V-neck. Gelled, but not overly so, hair, well fitting, dark washed jeans, and a smirk on his face.

Overall... he kind of reminded me of a greaser. And I didn't really like the way he was looking at me- triumphant, like he had won something. 

I rolled my eyes at him, giving him a once over, then meeting his eyes and in a very Beverly Hills way, letting him know, clearly, that I did not approve. He broke the staring contest and said, coolly, to Ms. Park, that he "could take it from here." I scoffed. The guy just seemed like an egotistical jerk face to me.

He shoved past me to the door as Ms. Park walked away, "accidentally" rubbing her chest against his arm, to which he jumped and gave her a stony glare.

I stifled a laugh. 

Abi's song was right.

Ms. Park was a hoochy, hoochy mamma.

Mae POV

I watched the stare down between Micah and that Kris guy and almost pulled out my phone, wanting to capture the moment in history.

Tall, Canadian Kris, didn't look like he had been challenged for his... kind of, smirky front in a while.

And Micah? I knew, for a fact, that she's never been challenged. She's the one who scares people into doing whatever she wants without even having to say a word. Just put on her glare and most are groveling at her feet. 

I smirked. 

Looks like they had both met their match.

Micah was an interesting person. To others, outside of Abi and I, she was like a cold, silent brat. We knew better. Although at our old high school she was called the Ice Maiden, she was really a bubbly and fun person underneath all those cold, distant layers. And it looks like she could care less about anyone but herself- that is so not true. Micah is one of the most selfless people I've ever met. She'll be beating up the bully one moment, then be helping some old lady with her groceries at the local Safeway. 

I turned a thoughtful glance to Kris as he led us inside. 

Maybe it was that way with him, too.