Within a Petal

The Flowers that Brought Us Together

After the flower incident, I started to do research on flowers and decided to become a florist when I grow up.

Every day after school I would go to the back of the school and check on the hibiscus to see how they were doing, after I pay my visit I study in the library.

It’s been three weeks since I’ve started to do this research, there was a memory in those flowers that I want to keep alive, a memory where we first met.

In the library I would stay until it’d get dark and I fell asleep while studying. I woke up due to the sound of falling books.

"Hmm?"

I got up to see where it came from and right when I turned the corner of the book shelf, I saw Akihiro Ayami picking up the books that had fallen on the ground.

I could tell he caught my gaze when he turned and smiled at me. I felt as if I was stabbed or betrayed, because no one has ever showed me such a kind face in a long time.

"Ohh..."

I squatted down to my knees and started picking up the books too, he stared at me and I gazed at him feeling hurt, I looked down.

“I thought you hated me…?”

He turned and faced me, and I looked at him. He didnt say anything and this silence was getting awkward, I opened my mouth to break the awkwardness but he got to it first.

“How could I hate you? When you don’t even remember me, Yuki…”

I sat there trying to progress what he was trying to say.

“Have… Have we met before..?”

He looked down and started picking up the books again, I felt kind of bad for asking such a question

“Sorry I-"

He cut me off.

“Sorry for saying something so weird. Aha!”

He laughed it off and turned to me.

“I’m also sorry for being so rude when we met by the teacher’s lounge, let’s start over. I’m Akihiro Ayami, call me Hiro, nice to meet you!” with a smiling face and his hand reached out towards me I responded with a smile.

“Yuki Suzuki. It’s a pleasure.”

We both shook hands and laughed.

*Maybe I was wrong about him.*

-Next morning-

 

It was a warm morning. I got out of bed and opened the window stretching my arms. I picked up my uniform and put it on, fixing my neck tie in front of the mirror.

“Perfect."

I walked through the halls to the front door and put on my shoes.

“Mack, I’m leaving!”

“Bye Sis!”

Mack answered and I closed the door behind me, our parents died in a car accident when I was ten years old and  Mack was six at the time but I wanted to live an independent life with my younger brother, although it’s a hard job I don’t to be separated by him.

I decided to go to school early to check on the flowers so I started to run for the school gates. Also, I started to take judo classes to defend myself if I was bullied again.

While running, an old lady caught the corner of my eye, I stopped. The old lady was being robbed in a shady alley, not knowing what to do, my body started to move on its own.

 

"HELP! SOMEONE!"

I dropped my book bag and ran towards the robber. I jumped and kicked him in the jaw. He stood up, wiping the blood from his mouth and ran with a dagger aiming towards me, I quickly dodged it and grabbed his arm and put immense force and locked it between his shoulder blades.

“Are you alright, Oba-san?”

I turned to make sure the old lady was okay.

“Thank you so much! How can I thank you?” She was shaking and had tears in her eyes.

“It’s going to be alright. Please stay calm and call the police.”

She did as I told her and the robber kept struggling to break free but as he did so I started to tighten my grip even harder so he gave up. The police had arrived in short notice, the man was sitting in the back of the police car. After I had talked to the police, I walked towards the old lady.

“Are you alright, Madam?” She took my hand.

“Thank you so much! Is there anything you’d like in return?”

I felt a bit happy when she thanked me, I had a warm feeling inside my heart.

“It’s fine. There’s no need.” I smiled at her and held her hand in return.

“What is your name?”

“Yuki Suzuki, Madam.”

She gave me a big smile.

“That’s a beautiful name.”

I thanked her and looked at my watch.

*ACK! IM NOT GOING TO HAVE TIME!*

I bowed and excused myself. I started running to school and had fifthteen minutes to spare, I huffed and went to the back of the school and saw Hiro-kun touching the flowers.

“Hiro-kun…” He turned and smiled at me. He stood up.

“Have you been taking care of them all this time?”

I tilted my head to the side.

“How did you know?”

Looking curious he looked at the flowers once more and sighed.

“Wow. You really are an air headed girl, aren’t you?” I walked towards the hibiscus and squatted.

“Is it a crime to be air headed?” There was a long awkward silence.

“They’re just stupid flowers. Why do you care about them?” I stood up still looking at the flowers.

“They hold a precious memory… so please don’t get involved.”

I turned and faced him, he was smiling.