Introduction to Exo

Wolf

Kris glanced around at the rest of his pack.  They were hungry and he knew it.  Xiumin growled in annoyance. Kris instantly turned livid and whipped his head to face the other wolf.  Though he was the oldest of them all, Xiumin quieted and turned away.  

These small rebellions were starting to worry Kris. Lately, more and more of these outbursts would occur. They came mainly from the older ones, like Xiumin, Luhan, and Suho, but he occasionaly would be challenged by Chanyeol, Kai, and Baekhyun too.  Luckily, the quiet ones, Chen, D.O., Lay, Sehun, and Tao would never speak out.

It had taken a lot for Kris to become the alpha male in the pack. Exo was a group of wolf-brothers, and in the beginning, there were many "candidates" for alpha; Xiumin, Luhan, Kris, Suho, and Chanyeol. Chanyeol was somewhat of a self-proclaimed "candidate" which surprised most of the pack, except for Baekhyun, whom he was close to.  Kris and Suho laughed at him at first, but were forced to take him seriously when he nearly tore off their legs. He was easily one of the biggest and strongest wolves, but eventually gave up on his pursuit of alpha because of his lack of the ability to lead the others. Xiumin and Luhan were both older than Kris, but also lacked leadership skills.  Suho came the closest to leadership of the four.  His intelligence, maturity, authority, and likability nearly swayed the rest of them, but he was too wary of Kris, who could take him out with his size, strength, and speed with ease. In the end, Suho withdrew his claim, deciding that Kris would eventually slip up so badly that he would be renounced as alpha, and Suho could then take up the responsibility quickly.  This way, he would still get what he wanted, and Kris couldn't object or try to hurt him.  It was just a matter of time, and Suho didn't mind waiting.  So for now, the title of alpha male was with Kris; the best hunter who was also the biggest and strongest.

Kris directed his thoughts away from the past.  That dispute had been over a year ago, and he had a problem right now. 

He nodded to Suho, who lead the trackers.  They consisted of Sehun, Lay, and of course, Suho. The trio ran off. These three were in charge of finding suitable targets for meals, and to ensure every killing went smoothly. Sehun and Suho possessed an incredible natural gift for tracking. Suho was slightly better than Sehun because of experience, but Sehun was about to surpass his elder.  His sense of smell was beyond sharp, plus he had a knack for distinguishing normal humans from potentially dangerous humans like police officers. This was why Sehun took point, and Suho and Lay followed.  Lay was technically a tracker, but he lacked the skill the other two had, and his speed made him more of a messenger.  Since he was the fastest in the pack, he conveyed messages that were not suited for conspicuous howls between the trackers, hunters, and occasionally, scouts.

The hunters were lead by Kris. They dispatched anyone who got in the way of their meals (except for each other), and were the ones who killed the humans smoothly and efficiently. Also, if it came down to it, they killed various animals for food if their hunger became too severe. They were also those who fought if they came across another pack. The four who were assigned to this job were Kris, Kai, Chanyeol, and Tao.  Kris and Chanyeol were both giants who fought with their strength.  Kai was a hunter because he fought viciously.  Tao was considered second only to Kris, as the group found that he was very agile and possessed incredible skill when it came to fighting.  Many of the others thought he was so good because he was Kris' favorite. It wasn't exactly a misconception.

Chen, Baekhyun, and Luhan made up the scouts. It was their job to keep watch and ensure that no one breached their secure hiding place.  If anyone came to close, one or more of them would howl to alert the others and scare away humans or warn other packs.  All three of them were chosen for this position because they all could hold a note for an exceptionally long time and had the ability to convey emotions and messages particularly well through their howls.

Finally, there was D.O. and Xiumin.  They were somewhat like cooks and caregivers.  However, they weren't considered useless or below the rest of them.  In fact, D.O. had been considered for all of the other roles when the jobs had been assigned.  He was fast and fit, intelligent, and also howled just as well as the scouts. He ended up with the job he did because he found he did not like violence and felt more comfortable in his human form.  He used his opposable thumbs to cut and divide the food evenly, or what Xiumin thought was even. Xiumin was D.O.'s "supervisor" and basically ordered him around 50% of the time and slept the other half.  This suited him nicely, as he was quite lazy and unfit for any other job because of his poor work ethic and small size.

D.O. waited patiently for the pack to return home. Xiumin snored loudly from the corner of their cave. He disliked Xiumin, even though he was his brother.  As far as he was concerned, they were all linked together irrevocably anyway, so he was entitled to his opinions.  He spent his wait cutting the last of a deer for everyone to eat.  He sighed.  It was the fourth animal they brought home this month.  Kris would be in trouble.  D.O. hoped that they would have a human sometime soon because he was worried a huge fight would break out (and because humans are much tastier).

To his surprise, all ten of the other wolves came home at the same time.  Then to his dismay, they came home empty-handed; without even an animal.  D.O. looked at them.

They paid him no attention.  They were too busy changing into their human forms so they could yell at each other. 

"We were almost caught!  If it wasn't for Sehun, we'd all be dead or worse!"  Suho exploded, targeting Kris. 

"Lay told you during our hunt that there were police officers only a mile away!  Why didn't you listen to him? Baekhyun even howled!"  Chanyeol yelled, also addressing Kris.

"I thought we had enough time!"  Kris defended, angry.

"Well it seems as if your thinking is flawed."  Kai commented.  Kris glared at him.  Instead of backing down, Kai glared back.

"It's been flawed for a while."  Luhan said, backing Kai.

Kris decided to ignore them, and asked D.O. "How much food is there left?"

Xiumin just began to wake, and was suspicious when everyone was in the cave.  "Why isn't anyone keeping watch?"

Chen transformed into his wolf form and bounded out of the tense room. Chen was slightly scared of Xiumin and was glad to avoid the scene that was happening.

Kris continued to look at D.O.  The poor boy looked down, and said quietly, "This is all that's left."  He started to hand out plates of food for everyone and avoided all eye contact, afraid someone would blame him for this food shortage.

His fears proved pointless, as Suho spit out at Kris, "This is all your fault."

Xiumin, who had finally caught on to the situation, added, "We're gonna starve because of you."

Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Kai, and a few others nodded in agreement.  

Then Tao morphed into a sleek, dark animal, and growled loudly.  He then gulped up his food in one bite, and snarled.

It caught everyone by surprise. Tao never took part in any arguments.  Seeing his aggressive side outside the hunt was frightening.

Everyone stopped yelling and settled for angry looks the rest of the meal, and by the time it was time to sleep, everyone decided to leave the subject alone for now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hey! First chapter~ 

I know its not very interesting, but it gives some background information to Exo.  I hope you enjoyed it.  

Please comment and subscribe!