Chapter 03.

Blessing In Disguise

Yuri kicked a small pebble lying on the pavement and watched as it tumbled a few inches away. How would she spend her time now? She had always roamed the city of Seoul, observing people, observing their expressions. Maybe she was trying to seek solace in looking at people who were genuinely happy. Or maybe, she was just looking for someone who was just like her.

Looking at her wallet, other than the 25,000 won that she wouldn’t touch, she had a mere 10,000 won for the rest of the week. *Enough of a cup of coffee, I guess.* She entered a café and ordered a simple cup of coffee, whilst she could hear other customers ordering fancy drinks like latte and cappuccino. She never took a liking to extravagant things, or rather, she couldn’t afford it anyway.

She took out her phone and almost let out a laugh. Was she planning to actually ask a friend out? Opening her contact list, Yuri wasn’t surprised to see that only her home and her father’s mobile number was stored in there. She didn’t see a need to own a phone. The bittersweet coffee melted in as she took a sip of the brown liquid. It was heavenly, and it reminded Yuri of herself. She was bittersweet.

Just then, a familiar golden brown haired boy stepped into the café and Yuri could feel her dark world transform into a paradise, where she pranced around a huge sunflower field. He reminded her of sunflowers, a cheery sunflower, in fact. But her paradise disappeared when she noticed something behind those eyes. It was something that she had been looking for all these while. Loneliness.

Yuri’s mind was thrown into a state of confusion. How would he be lonely? He has his friends, he has girls at his mercy. Why would he be lonely? To her surprise, he ordered a cup of normal coffee, just like her. He didn’t glance at the girls eyeing him one bit and Yuri was once again baffled. She could see him searching for a seat and she cowered her head. Furrowing her eyebrows, she scoffed at herself. *Did you actually think he would notice you, Ahn Yuri?*

“Never thought I would see you here.” The familiar melody made Yuri’s heart skip a beat. went dry instantly and she took a quick sip of coffee before making eye contact with Chanhee. She nodded in acknowledgement and smiled a little. “I… Can seat here right?” Chanhee said, pointing to the empty chair across her. Yuri didn’t respond. She simply nodded.

Chanhee smiled happily and took his seat. Yuri couldn’t understand how he could appear so cheerful and happy when he was lonely inside, just like her. “I see you ordered a normal cup of coffee.” He stated, his eyes on the half empty cup in front of Yuri.

“…Yeah, I did.”

“You know, I’ve never taken a liking towards the fancy drinks here. A cup of original coffee would be enough for me.” Yuri looked into his eyes in astonishment. He had the exact same thinking as her and her heart leaped in joy. If possible, her heart was hammering wildly against her ribcage when she noticed something – the loneliness in his eyes was gone. And she could be the reason for it.

“Same here.” Yuri smiled a small smile at Chanhee and ran her fingers around the rim of the cup. “Although part of the reason would be I’m pretty broke.” She wanted to laugh at how pathetic she sounded but she heard Chanhee’s twinkling laughter instead.

“I remember. You didn’t have money for a new uniform too.” He teased. It was amazing how Yuri didn’t feel awkward around him like how she would when she talks to a stranger or how she didn’t feel shy because he was her crush. It was comfortable, like they shared something. Something that the both of them knew, but wouldn’t express.

“Ah right, I want to return you money for the uniform.” Yuri opened her wallet but was stopped by Chanhee.

“No! It’s alright. I kind of apologise for my schoolmates’ actions. They can be crazy and adamant about making a transfer student leave but I know you’re different.” His doe-like eyes bore into her soul and Yuri felt her secrets being exposed one by one. How could he be so sure that she was different from the others when she’s not? “Don’t ask me why. You’re just different. In a good way, of course.” Chanhee chuckled yet again and Yuri’s eyes harboured gratefulness. She looked at the 25,000 won note in her hand and twisted her lips to the left. She didn’t want to owe him anything. So she placed it on the table and pushed it to him, her eyes hard and firm.

Chanhee could see how her eyes would reduce in size after and her eyes dilated, like she was brought to another place. A place full of sorrow and distrust, a place that she didn’t deserve to be in. She was different, he was sure of it. And she was just like him, lonely, waiting to find someone who would understand him, to fill up an empty space in their broken hearts.

When Chanhee first met her, all dirty and messed up, he thought nothing of it. There were many instances of transfer students being bullied but she had caught his attention. He initially thought that it was pity but as days go by. The look in her eyes was different compared to others. It was cold, yet warm. So many secrets hidden in that mind of hers that made him curious, that left him wanting more. Before Chanhee had a chance to speak to her again, Yuri stood up.

“I have to go.” She said, her face void of emotions. Chanhee stood up immediately and looked at the empty cup of coffee. *Darn.* He didn’t want her to leave yet. He had so many questions he had yet to ask. He didn’t know when will be the next time they will bump into each other.

“Before you go, can I have your name?” Chanhee asked, his voice barely came off as a plead. Yuri lowered her gaze and before looking at him in the eyes again.

“If we bump into each other again, maybe I’ll tell you, Lee Chanhee.” The way she had said his name in a teasing tone made him smile subconsciously. Yuri almost gawked at her confidence. *Where did that come from?*

“Fine. I’m pretty sure we’ll meet again anyway.” Chanhee crossed his arms and smirked at Yuri. She shook her head, amused, and left the café. He watched her back view as she didn’t bother to turn around and look at him for one last time. She looked like she was carrying the entire world on her shoulders but she still managed to look fearless and untouchable. Chanhee laughed to himself. *We really are alike in some ways.*

(。◕‿◕。) (。◕‿◕。) (。◕‿◕。)

The next day came faster than Yuri had wanted it to. It suffocated her to no end, like she was with a school of strangers who seemed to hate her with such passion, when she had done nothing, absolutely nothing. She sighed and suddenly tripped forward on the cemented road, landing on all fours. Laughter could be heard from behind her and she gritted her teeth. This was once again, only the beginning.

“Get out of the school, loser. You don’t belong here.” A guy growled but Yuri wasn’t intimidated. She ignored the stinging pain on her palms and knees and walked away, slightly limping. The best way to avoid conflict is to walk away. *I know I don’t belong here. I don’t belong in Seoul.*

With her haggard face, she entered the classroom which was already half filled. Her classmates gave her disgusted looks but she continued limping to her seat at the back of her class. Daniel almost shouted when he noticed her scraped knees. But then it clicked in his mind – it must be someone who tripped her on purpose. He heard Yuri settle down and dared to turn around to peek at her.

Yuri had taken out her notebook again and she was scribbling. Daniel could see millions of foreign words emerging from beneath her black pen and she seemed to be out of it, her eyes on focused on her notebook and nothing else. She looked so indifferent yet so fragile. He wanted to help her but no words seem to come out of his mouth. But then again, why should he care? Was he only noticing her because she helped him escape detention? Daniel peeled his eyes of Yuri and slumped on the table, trying to fall asleep.

The black pen finally stopped, the tip never leaving the surface of the paper. Yuri knew. She knew that Daniel had been looking at her. She knew Daniel wanted to talk to her about something but didn’t manage to. Yuri her dry lips and stared at the paper filled with words. Discomfort bubbled through her veins and she frowned. *I know he is taking pity on me. I don’t need anyone’s pity.* Her gaze on him hardened and she continued writing words, chunk of words that she felt like no one could understand, how she could still hang on, stronger than everyone knew.

“Fear had incorporated itself into my cells but I feel numb; Beat me up, chew me up, spit me out, I’ll still be walking like I’m as good as new.”

“My façade can deceive and cheat but my soul screams to take over it. To take over who I am not. Let me be free, let me fly.”

“Let my scars trouble and haunt me, only me. I would lay myself into a black bag, my blood flowing endlessly, but let no one come near me. Not even my father.”

She couldn’t understand why she had written those words. Was she weaker than she had thought?