U N D E R T A K E R

Surreptitious

t r e d i c i

                “Hurry up!”

                “Why don’t you slow down?” Yifan retorted, panting as he raced to catch up to the thin woman. Yamakaji scoffed in amusement, rolling her eyes before she turned her back and made her way up the peaceful hill. She slipped off her heels, shifting her feet back and forth to adjust to the tender green grass, still thriving in the chilly autumn air.

                At the top of the hill was a willow tree, leisurely following the movement of the cool breeze. It was tall with thick draping leaves that formed a sort of shelter, albeit a young tree. Even from afar, one could feel the serenity it offered.

                The dark haired male grumbled as he finally caught up to the woman whom had already settled down in the shade of willow, grinning innocently. Yifan gave a snort of incredulousness, “Three years and you still prefer the man over me?”

                Kaji shrugged, “He’s nicer,”

                “He’s also dead, and not the one carrying all your around for you,” he retorted.

                “It’s food, not ,” she frowned in disapproval.

                Ignoring her statement, Yifan proceeded to drop the picnic basket carelessly and made himself comfortable in her lap. Yamakaji sighed, “You’re heavy,”

                “I don’t have a problem with that,”

                “Lose some fat,”

                “Lift some weights,”

                “No one told me that the last time I piggybacked Chanyeol’s deadbeat back to the base,” Kaji smirked in triumph, allowing the male to use her lap as a pillow nonetheless. She twisted her waist to open one compartment of the picnic basket, retrieving a fresh bouquet of peonies and baby’s breaths before leaving it at the foot of the willow.

                Yifan opened his eyes, glancing briefly at the bundle of flowers, “You know, I never really understood why he wanted to be a tree instead of having his own grave. It does him no justice,”

                Yamakaji shrugged, “Hey, the man’s dead. Let him have what he wants for once, won’t you?”

                “Yixing, if you’re listening, this woman treats you better than she treats me,”

                The sky darkened so quickly that the couple could barely comprehend the situation as a rumble rippled through the air. Soon, liquid droplets pattered gently against the ground.

                Kaji snickered, “Think he heard you?”

                “You two, ganging up on me even now.”

                “Well, trees are alive after all. They say that trees have eyes and ears. Maybe that was his reason,”

                “ you,”

                “I’m sure you want to.”

                “Ugh,”