Field Trip

Dancing In Red Shoes Can Kill You

“Where’s Dongwoo? I wonder what’s up with him,” U-Kwon wondered when the other boy hadn’t shown up for practice. His mentor went on without the other participant, teaching U-Kwon his part like nothing was up. As time went on, however, U-Kwon felt more and more uneasy about his partner’s absence.

When lunch came and went and Dongwoo still hadn’t shown up, U-Kwon got the courage to ask Changhyun if maybe Dongwoo had been secretly eliminated. Changhyun had no idea but didn’t seem fazed. It was common for even the best candidates to get overwhelmed and just quit. The thought seemed logical, yet it didn’t sit right with U-Kwon. That night, as they were walking home, he brought it up with his friends.

“He’s not the type who would just quit,” he argued. “I think something’s wrong.”

“Something like what?” B-Bomb asked. “He could just be sick. Or like hyung said, he may have cracked under pressure. Why are you so concerned over someone who wants the same thing as you do?”

“It’s a competition not a blood bath.”

“Let it go, will you? All we talk about is dance. Can we please talk about something, anything, else?” SeungRi whined.

“What’s gotten into you?”

“Taemin decided to practice in his red shoes today. I hate that kid and his stupid little smirk.”

“Oh Seunghyun, get over it,” U-Kwon said. “You guys keep telling me this is a competition…well, out do him, outsmart him, or out dance him.”

“You have a point Kitty. All I really need to do is find a way to not make him competition anymore. You really are a genius.”

“Whatever.”

 

“Today, we’re going to do something different,” SunKi announced when everyone gathered the next morning. Everyone except Dongwoo, that is-something that SunKi pointed out. “Where’s your partner, U-Kwon?”

“I don’t know. He wasn’t here yesterday either.”

“Looks like you’re a jinx, kid. First Hoya, now Dongwoo. Maybe I need to watch out for you…make sure you aren’t doing away with your competitors.”

SeungRi laughed. “Kit-I mean, U-Kwon wouldn’t hurt a fly.”

“Anyway, we’re going on a little field trip. Grab your stuff and follow me.”

The boys whispered among themselves as they were led to a black van with heavily tinted windows. No one told them where they were going and they didn’t expect any answers in the first place. Twenty minutes passed before the van stopped and they all got out.

“A…park? Why are we at a park?” Of course it was SeungRi that had to say something first.

“We’re here for inspiration. Every dancer has started on the street before coming to a studio or taking a class. Break off in groups-or alone if that’s what you want to do- and just take everything in. I will warn you…there’s a test at the end of this, so be prepared.”

Everyone nodded and set off in five different paths. U-Kwon stumbled across a group of little kids trying to imitate the idols they saw on TV. Smiling, he watched the kids for a while, remembering how he used to do the same thing. This was why he was working so hard for SunKi. He wanted those kids to imitate him one day.

Suddenly, there was a high pitched scream. Without thinking, U-Kwon ran in the direction. Somehow he met up with B-Bomb, SunKi, and Jongup in the middle of the park.

“What happened?” Jongup asked.

The others shrugged. “Where are Taemin and SeungRi?” SunKi asked.

“Didn’t Seunghyun go this way?” B-Bomb pointed.

“Yeah, and Taemin went that way,” U-Kwon said. “Let’s go check.”

The two boys went off in separate directions, hoping the scream had just been some teenagers playing around. For some reason, however, U-Kwon was starting to feel nervous. The scream had sounded like someone in pain. He was so busy imagining scenarios that he almost missed the groan from his right.

“Is someone out there?” he asked timidly.

“It’s…Taemin-in. Help me,” the voice said weakly. A few steps towards the boy and U-Kwon let out his own scream. The younger boy was clutching his ankle but U-Kwon could still see he was bleeding. He felt his stomach roll but managed to keep his breakfast down.

“What happened?”

“I was..wa-walking and s-someone c-came up behind me and…I tripped…and, my-my Achilles’... my Achilles’ was cut!” Taemin sobbed. “Help me, please.”

U-Kwon looked around, trying to figure out how to help the boy when he heard rustling behind him. He turned to see B-Bomb and SeungRi coming in his direction. He’d never been so glad to see his friends in his life.

“Over here,” he called to them. They rushed over, stopping short when they saw Taemin on the ground.

“What the actual hell?” SeungRi exclaimed.

“He’s hurt. We should help him get out of here at least.”

“Yeah. You lead the way Kitty. Me and Minhyuk will help the kid.”

With one arm around SeungRi and one arm around B-Bomb, Taemin was carried from the path towards the place where Jongup and SunKi were waiting for them. Taemin was deathly white, only making noise when his injury banged against the pavement. When SunKi saw him he dug in his pockets and immediately called for an ambulance.

As they waited, SunKi had Taemin retell his story, mostly so the boy couldn’t pass out. The EMTs finally arrived. There was no rush as the damage was already done and the bleeding had slowed. Even as Taemin was loaded into the back of the vehicle, everyone already knew his fate:

He wasn’t going to dance again.