Hoya's Fate

Dancing In Red Shoes Can Kill You

Jongup, SeungRi, and U-Kwon had been practicing for an hour when Hoya showed up limping. He was obviously in serious pain but he insisted on practicing. When it got to the point that he was continuously grimacing, Changhyun made all the boys stop and went to get one of the on-staff doctors to check on Hoya.

“What happened?” U-Kwon asked.

“Last night, after I went back to the restaurant, I was pushed by some punk on the way out. I heard my ankle pop, but it was fine last night. Now it’s like this.”

“Yo SeungRi, did you see anybody last night?” U-Kwon asked.

“Nope,” he said. “I already told you that. Here comes hyung with the doctor.”

After a very brief examination, the doctor determined that Hoya had a lateral ankle sprain. He was going to have to take a few weeks off or risk a permanent injury.

“So...so you’re saying that I have to drop out?” Hoya asked the doctor.

“I’m afraid so,” the man replied. “Don’t worry. There’s always next year.”

The doctor left and Hoya sat there, staring at his ankle, unable to believe it. He…he couldn’t dance anymore? His shot was over?

“I’m sorry,” U-Kwon said lowly.

Hoya shook his head. “It’s not your fault.”

“It kinda is,” SeungRi pointed out. “I mean, if he hadn’t invited you out with us then-”

U-Kwon elbowed SeungRi at the same time that SunKi came in the room. He gave the boys disapproving looks when he saw them standing around talking. “What’s going on here?”

Jongup was the one who answered, surprising the others who so easily forgot he was there. “Hoya can’t dance anymore.”

“What?”

“He’s hurt and can’t dance,” Jongup repeated.

“Hoya. Explain this.”

“Jongup pretty much said it. I got hurt last night.”

SunKi ran a hand down his face. “It’s just as well, I guess. I already eliminated Kikwang today. With you out we can just move on to the next challenge.”

“Wait…that’s it?” SeungRi asked.

“What do you want, a parade? What’s done is done. By the way, Dongwoo just got the latest pair of red sneakers. Unlike you three,” he glanced at SeungRi, Jongup, and YuKwon, “he knows how to work regardless of what’s going on around him. Anyway, head home for the day. We’ll start fresh tomorrow.”

Feeling somewhat let down, the boys all looked at each other awkwardly for a while after SunKi left. What was there to really say? SeungRi and U-Kwon left to meet B-Bomb and discuss the day’s events on the way to their way to their shared apartment.

“What happened with you guys?” U-Kwon asked B-Bomb.

“We were all resting for a bit, and Dongwoo…he like never sits still. He got up and was playing around when hyung came in. Kikwang was the only one who didn’t immediately jump up so he was eliminated on the spot. Hyung asked Dongwoo what his shoe size was and came back with the sneakers. Then he left, I guess to check on your group, and when he came back he said we were dismissed.”

“That’s weird, isn’t it?” SeungRi asked. “Hoya gets first place and all of a sudden he’s hurt.”

“I wouldn’t say weird more so than bad luck,” B-Bomb said.

“I feel kind of bad. I mean, he probably wouldn’t have gotten hurt if I hadn’t made him come out with us,” U-Kwon said.

“Were you the one who pushed him?” SeungRi asked. “No. So you shouldn’t feel guilty. You should actually feel pretty good.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Well you’re biggest competitor is out of the game. That makes it easier for all of us.”

“That’s true,” U-Kwon agreed, “but I don’t like thinking about it that way.”

“Well kid,” B-Bomb said, “this is a competition. Sooner or later, you’re going to have to think about what you can do to excel. When that time comes, I hope you have the guts to go for it.”