CHAPTER 1: So It Begins

Me, Myself, and My Genie

“Alright, alright back it up right here!” Key shouted to the truck driver as the vehicle backed into the unloading bay of the museum.  He looked at his wristwatch, ‘1:00 PM’ it read.

“Can you guys start unloading them? We need to display this exhibit in 2 days.” He added as he held onto his clipboard.

“We’ll start unloading immediately Mr. Curator.” The kind driver said as he got off and went to the back of the truck.

One by one, huge chests, boxes, and other wooden containers were being carried out the truck and into the museum’s storage area. Each container had to be carried by two or more men because they were all filled with ancient and authentic relics all the way from Egypt.

The Museum was opening a new exhibit on Ancient Egypt in 2 days and Key was in charge of all of it. Key has been a curator at the museum for so long that he had earned the owner’s trust.

“Ah, of course. What is an Egyptian exhibit without a mummy’s sarcophagus/coffin?” Key approved as it was being carried in by 5 men who obviously were having a hard time.

“That’s the last of it Sir. Do you want us to start opening the boxes now?” the driver asked.

“Oh please. I need to take a little look see at some of the new artifacts we’ll be showing.” Key happily replied still holding onto his clipboard.

The men took a couple of crowbars from the truck and started to wedge them into the boxes in the storage area. They were all sealed with nails and the items inside had hay siding in case any of them were fragile.

“Okay, that would be all.” Key politely said. “Thank you all for your hard work.” Once again, he looked at his watch, ‘2:10 PM’ it read.

The men all went out with a nod and moments later, they were all gone.

Key was supposed to be inside the actual museum and not in its storage area but since he had these new deliveries, he had to check them all. He held his trusty clipboard, put on some latex gloves, and started to poke around on the new items.

He started with the box nearest him. Key took out an old-looking vase that had these Egyptian characters on it.

“Hm, why on earth would they put a beetle as decoration on such a fine vase?” he joked as he carefully inspected the item.

He placed it back then carefully picked up another relic. This one looked like a plate of some kind. But of course, it had more of those Egyptian characters. Key examined it then put it right back.

After that, he dug deeper into the box and found a couple of scepters which looked like they were actual gold. Key found a couple more items like the pharaoh’s head piece and clothing and a few run down photos showing old Egypt in the box until it was all done.

He moved onto the next one and found 10 more artifacts. Key sighed in exhaustion then moved on to the last box.

Key dug into the box while he pushed aside the hay protection and found more old and dusty relics.

“Phew, I think that’s done.” Key breathed in relief.

Then something caught his eye as he checked if he had put everything back in its place. He caught a glimpse of a rather unfamiliar item at the bottom of the box. Key buried his arm into the box and reached for the object.

“Aaggh~Almooossstt goott iiitt..” he moaned as he rummaged for it. “GOT IT!” he rejoiced.

“Oh ho ho ho, is this what I think it is?!” he stated in amusement. “Tell me this isn’t a lamp like the ones where genies come from!” he said still not believing in the item he had in his hands.

Key kept laughing to himself as he examined the lamp. “This is too good!” he exclaimed.

“Hm, a bit dusty there little fella.” He addressed the lamp.

Key took pity on the relic and gave it a mild rub

Then smoke…

Unusually blue smoke was coming out of the lamp…

“Wh-what the heck?” Key stammered.

Then there was a bright blinding light.

Key fell back from where he was sitting. Once everything faded back to normal, he quickly got to his feet and looked around if anything was damaged or if anyone else saw what happened.

He felt like his head was spinning and everything was too. Key looked behind him to check.

Then…

“Hi.” A female voice sounded.

Key slowly turned his head confused and mystified.

“Uh hi.” He replied in a high pitched cracked voice.

The unbelievably beautiful girl beamed at Key as he stared blankly.

Key tried to rub his eyes and lightly slap himself to see if it wasn’t a concussion.

“Oh my god, this cannot be real.” He muttered to himself.

“Oh it’s real.” The girl chimed in.

She looked around the storage area as if examining it. “This, is all very real.” She continued.

“Is it? A-are you? Uh..” Key stuttered obviously frightened.

“Yep! YOU rubbed MY lamp. Therefore, I am your genie and I shall grant you 3 and only 3 wishes. For the time being, you will be my master and I shall have to give you those 3 wishes. Ooh! And just note that there are a few limitations to what you may wish for;

-one, I cannot and will not under any circumstances kill anyone or end someone’s life,

-two, you can’t wish for more genies I mean come on that’s just cheating,

-and three, our contract will and shall end once you’ve had your three wishes!” the girl smiled brightly as if it was all such a casual contract being made.

Key’s mouth hung open still unable to absorb what he was hearing.

“Uh, helllooo~ Anyone there?” the girl asked as she hovered a few inches from the ground and knocked on Key’s head.

“OH MY GOD! SEE?! HOW ARE YOU EVEN ABLE TO DO THAT?! YOU MUST BE WIRED OR SOMETHING!” Key exclaimed and tremblingly pointing at the girl’s feet.

“Uh, news flash, I’m a genie. I have powers of every kind your little mind can think of.” She said proudly as she got more comfortable hovering overhead.