Reflection

Waterloo Rewind

“People make mistakes. It’s a part of growing up, and you never really stop growing” – Duke of Nuts

A sensitive topic since I'm going to tap on teenage pregnancy.

Inspired by We're in Heaven by Vanessa Carlton

Your POV

Three years ago

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

It all happened so fast.

Almost a blur.

My two month-old Seungho was sleeping peacefully in the seat beside me.

I'm only fourteen, I had to get out of this mess.

Seungho isn't safe in the Chan household.

They considered me a disgrace and Seungho had to suffer the consequences.

I couldn't understand though, why don't they just accept him? Accept us?

I loved the wrong person okay, I just wanted a fresh start, that bastard Myungsoo bailed on me when he found out I was pregnant.

He was a trainee under stess, I was too. He was four years older than me.

It sorta just happened, I got pregnant exactly nine months before his debut.

My parents were never happy with me being a trainee, moreover when they found out about my pregnancy.

They're filthy rich but very stingy, they can't even spare some money for me to raise Seungho, but they agreed I'm still going to live under their house, and their rules.

The rules also state that Seungho is to become just a mere  butler to serve my parents and older brother when time comes.

I can't afford to risk it. I don't want my baby to end up an outcast of his own family.

I had no choice but to seek help from Myungsoo.

I went to their dorm and he just pushed me away and denied Seungho was his.

I don't care if he's an idol, I just want a father for Seungho.

That bastard doesn't even acknowledge his own flesh and blood.

I'll find a father for Seungho. The perfect one.

And he could live the future he deserves unlike his mother who now lives as a plauge on society.

I was never good at making choices.

This car I 'stole' from the house is actually mine. I learned to drive when I was eight, I never knew I'd drive a real car at fourteen.

Nonetheless leave my own house.

I really hope the plan of escaping from that hell of a household may help me and my son, my poor baby.

It's going to be alright. Mommy's here. Mommy will protect you.

 

 

 

 

 

 

*SMASH*

Baby?!! Are you okay?

I clutch the infant in my arms. Why didn't I see that tree, I swear it wasn't there earlier.

I see myself in the rearview mirror, I'm more of a mess than I already am.

At least my Seungho is okay.

I couldn't say the same for myself. The car is now upside-down. My leg, it's crushed, my head hurts, my torso is torn in all places because of the broken glass.

But Seungho is okay.

I clutch him tighter as I scream my lungs out for help.

'Please! Help me! Help us! Please!'

My cries seemed useless, we crashed in a part which isn't really urban.

Time is ticking, I feel my heart palpitating. My time is nearly up.

But I can't give up, not for Seungho.

I see someone!

He's a boy, sort of tan and wearing casual clothes.

'Mister! Please help us!'

He ran towards us. His large eyes widened even more.

'Miss? What happened?' He said to me, his voice, it isn't mature, I think he's a teenager just like me.

'M-My car, I didn't, the, the the tree, I swear, it wasn't there. I swear please just, I--" I struggled to speak, nervousness is taking a toll on me.

'Miss, I'm going to call 119, your name?'

'Yanna. Ugh. Chan Yanna. Fourteen years old. I came from Seoul.' He told the operator everything he knew and hung up, they were going to be here in ten minutes, judging from the place we're currently in, maybe fifteen.

'What? You came far away from Seoul? And you're fourteen! You're driving a car? Miss--"

"Just please hurry! I haven't got much time, but please, make sure he's okay.'

'Who? I don''t see anyone in the car with you.

I unraveled Seungho showing him to the boy. 'Him. That's my son. Please make sure he's okay.'

'Yes miss Yanna.' He took Seungho off my hands. The daylight exposed his angelic face ridden with small cuts, the broken glass must have affected him, though not as serious as mine. He started crying but the boy shushed him, he went back to sleep, he's a natural at this.

'Don't call me miss, we're the same age. What's your name?'

'Junhong, Choi Junhong.' He smiled sweetly. 'Okay Yanna, where does it hurt?'

'My leg, it hurts. I think it's crushed. Ah!' I winced in pain when I tried to pry my leg free.

'No, don't! Yanna, you'll hurt yourself more.' I smiled at his concern.

'Don't worry Junhong, I'll be fine.' I lied, I felt my soul slipping away.

'Are you sure?'

'Yeah.'

'What's taking them so long?!' Junhong whined. He looked so cute.

'Don't worry Junhong, they'll come.'

'Can't they come sooner?' He tugged at his hair while holding Seungho in his other arm.

'They will.'

'I hope.'

Junhong looked into my eyes, I looked into his. The most beautiful pair of eyes I ever saw.

They were simple, plain black.

It wasn't about the color of his eyes or the shape.

I saw kindess, warmth, and love?

I must've hit my head hard on the pavement. I doubt he'd look at me with love, I'm just a stranger in car accident.

We looked at each other for a good ten seconds before he cleared his throat.

'I think I can hear the sirens.'

He was right, the ambulance was here. Doctors came rushing out and in another car, rescuers flooded the scene, Junhong was told to step back. He was also asked on what happened, I can see him getting paler and stuttering from a distance, he held Seungho protectively in his arms. He had a certain aura to him.

Mature though young.

Manly though still adoolescent.

Paternal though looks like the little brother.

The perfect father for Seungho. I found him.

I'm still not in a good condition, I feel life draining out of my body. The rescuers still struggling. I nod once in a while to let them know I'm okay.

The pain is excruciating but I'm able to bear everything thanks to Junhong and Seungho.

This moment is painful but perfect.

'Junhooooooooong!'

I scream out his name with few of the final breaths in my lungs. I hear the rescuers warn me not to scream, I'm putting myself in so much more pain.

'Just please let me see Junhong. Please.'

They nodded and I can see Junhong with Seungho in his arms, Seungho's wounds are already treated.

'Yanna, what is it.'

'Junhong thank you.'

'You're welcome.' I felt my tears escaping out of my eyes, not out of the sensation that I feel in my legs, but of happiness.

'Junhong, will you take care of him? My baby?'

'Of course. but we'll take care of him together right?'

I shook my head.

I saw Junhong's tears falling, Seungho still asleep. Unaware of the situation.

'My time is up Junhong. I'm trusting you. I'm begging you. I don't want himself to live as a mistake.'

'No please. Yanna--'

'Junhong, I know you're too young to be the father of someone elses-- ah!' I winced, I had difficulty in speaking now.

'I'm not worried about that! I can take care of the baby! What will happen to you?!' Junhong cried.

'I-I'll be fine as long as he's fine. Goodbye Junhong. Goodbye baby.' I smiled as I carresed his smooth face, Junhong looked into my eyes.

'Yanna--'

'His name is Seungho, it was supposed to be Kim but now--'

'It's Chan Seungho, isn't it?'

I looked at his glass eyes and I see myself happy, I see them happy too.

'No, Choi Seungho.' I smiled one last time as I mouthed a thank you, unable to find my voice. My breath slipped away, my time was up.

I closed my eyes peacefully.

Seungho is safe.

Junhong saved us.

That sweet boy.

Why couldn't it have been him that I loved?

Choices had always been my weakness.

At least I made the right choice this time.

I'm so grateful that it was Junhong.

He's doing it for me now.

Always criticized.

Always working.

Always tired.

Living as a mistake

In place of me.

He's doing it for me, for us.

I always loved those boys.

Until today.

A better future awaits for Junhong and Seungho.

Father and son ready to face a new day.

And I'm going to be the one who welcomes them soon.

Good Morning.