Chapter 30

Should I Take A Chance?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 30

 

Haneul’s POV

 

Haneul clapped her hands eagerly like little child after Henry played Paganini's 24 Caprices on his violin. She never knew this kid could play the violin so well. Really, she was mesmerized.

 

“Henryah! Play another one!” She requested.

 

“My fingers are already tired, noona.” Henry complained in a tired tone. “That was the 9th piece already.”

 

“But you’re so good I want to listen more. You don’t want noona to get sad, do you?” She pouted. “You shouldn’t have shown it to me if you’re not going to comply with noona’s requests.”

 

He sighed and started tuning his violin again. “You’re a slave driver, Neullie noona. Be thankful that I love you.”

 

“I love you, too, Henryah.” She said sweetly.

 

“You better not let Kyuhyun-a hear that or he might kill our Henry here.” Donghae said as he entered the living room to join them. She was hanging out at the Lee residence that Saturday morning. She was bored at home with nothing to do since the exams and the competition was already over. She also can’t bother Kyuhyun that day because he was out with his father for some business that he didn’t really explain clearly.

 

“He’s not here, anyway.” She waved it off.

 

“It’s been a long time since you hung out with us, noona. Kyuhyun hyung is always hoarding you.” Henry pouted. “But Donghae hyung misses you the most.”

 

“Shut up, Henry.” Donghae scolded him.

 

“You guys can always call me to come over.” She said.

 

“Kyuhyun-a.. might not like it.” Donghae answered in a constricted tone.

 

Haneul looked at Donghae closely. Kyuhyun won’t really mind, she knew that. But Donghae will. She felt ashamed of what she said. Donghae still wasn’t over her and still struggling so it was more like he was trying to move on by spending less time with her. She grimaced at how selfish she had been. But she doesn’t want him staying away from her because he’s an important person in her life, too.

 

The door opened and Kyuhyun went inside the Lee residence. Haneul didn’t know why but he looked stressed. She immediately rose up and approached him.

 

“Kyunnie, how was your trip? You look like hell.” She tried not to sound worried and just passed it as a joke.

 

“I’m fine. I just don’t like going far away without you.” He answered.

 

She felt herself blush. “Yah, stop teasing me like that.”

 

“I’m just telling the truth.” He lovingly grazed his thumb on her cheek.

 

Henry cleared his throat. “Noona, hyung, not to burst your romantic bubble or anything, but there’s a minor and a broken-hearted dude here.”

 

Donghae smacked Henry’s head. “Just let them be, idiot.”

 

“Got anything to eat here?” Kyuhyun asked and strode off to Donghae’s kitchen.

 

“I’m cooking something there. Henryah, Haneul, pick some good movie to watch.” Donghae stood up and followed him. Haneul went back to her seat beside Henry. Kyuhyun seemed fine even if his appearance says otherwise.

 

“Noona, what do you want to watch?” Her dongsaeng asked her.

 

“Anything’s fine. How about some thriller or horror?”

 

“No way! Let’s have some action or a cartoon.”

 

“That’s no fun. I want some gore and blood.”

 

“My poor heart can’t handle that, noona. Please.”

 

-

 

Donghae’s POV

 

He followed Kyuhyun inside the kitchen and checked the dish he was cooking for lunch. His friend opened to fridge to scavenge for some food to eat.

 

“Kyuhyun-a, I think you should tell her now.” Donghae said to him.

 

Kyuhyun didn’t answer and got the cake he and Henry left that morning. He acted like he didn’t hear him as he got a spoon and started to eat.

 

“You told me you’re going to tell her after the competition so she won’t lose her concentration. But it’s already over, Kyuhyun-a. Why are you stalling for time?”

 

“I’m not stalling for time.”

 

“Then what do you think you’re doing right now?” He raised his voice a notch. He didn’t like keeping Haneul in the dark.

 

“I don’t want her rushing into things.” Kyuhyun said in a quiet voice.

 

“If you postpone it further, she’ll feel like rushing more. You’ve got what? Five or six months left? That’s a pretty short time. If you could just break it to her gently now, she would understand.” Kyuhyun continued eating and avoiding to look at him. “If you won’t tell her, then I will.” He said in a firm voice and was about to go back to the living room but Kyuhyun stopped him by the shoulder.

 

“Please don’t.” He said to him. If he was counting, that might have been the first time that Kyuhyun pleaded him for something. He sounded so serious. “I want to be the one to tell her. And I’ll tell her soon. I’m just waiting for the right moment. She just won and I don’t want to ruin her happiness. For now.”

 

Donghae opened his mouth to say something but he just sighed harshly. Yeah, Kyuhyun should be the one to tell her. He can’t interfere this time. “Are you really sure about this though?” He just asked.

 

Kyuhyun gave a brief nod. “But I’ll ask her, too.”

 

“Okay. I’ll trust your word on that.” He was uncertain what to say next so he decided to go back to his dish when he got startled by his ringtone. He checked the caller ID before swiping the screen to answer it. “Yes, Grandfather?”

 

-

 

Haneul’s POV

 

“No matter how many times I visit here, I’m still amazed by this place, oppa.” She commented when she got off the car. She was back to Mokpo with Kyuhyun, Donghae and Henry. It was their Grandfather’s 70th birthday and they will be holding a party in honor of him. She was surprised, though, that she and Kyuhyun got invited along.

 

"It's nothing really special though." Donghae said with a shrug.

 

"Ehhh~ humble as always, huh." She as she poked his side.

 

"Young masters and young lady, welcome back." The Lee family's butler greeted them as they got inside.

 

"It's been awhile, Sir." Haneul gave him a smile.

 

"Where's grandfather?" Donghae asked him.

 

"He's upstairs at the drawing room. He's waiting for you lot to come so you go greet him now."

 

"Are we supposed to come with you and Henry, too, oppa? Kyunnie and I can just stay here while you talk to your Grandfather." She told him.

 

"It's alright. I'm sure he wants to see you both."

 

They were led to the drawing room by one of the maids. When they were allowed to get in, they saw the old man reading through some papers.

 

"Grandfather, we're here." Donghae announced as they came.

 

"Yes, I can see that." He put down the papers. "You can sit down." He waited for them to get settled on the chairs before he spoke again. "This is the first party that you two will join in so I want to introduce you tomorrow to everyone. Donghwa is already here, by the way. I've already called some people to prepare what you will wear at the party. This isn't just a normal party, may I remind you. It's a social gathering with our top associates."

 

"I see." Donghae nodded as he explained.

 

"Thank you, young lady for coming here. And to you as well, young man." He was referring to Kyuhyun. "However, I have a request to you, young lady."

 

"Me..? Sir?" She was perplexed. What could Donghae's grandfather ask of her?

 

-

 

"Just remember the beat as you two dance. Other couples would join you eventually so you could just do whatever you please as it progresses." The dance instructor told them.

 

"Yes." Haneul and Donghae said in unison. Since Donghae was going to be introduced at the party, his grandfather wanted a 'muse' beside him.

 

That was the request he asked of her: to be Donghae's partner at the party. She doesn't get, though, why they have to be the first dance.

 

She continued practicing with Donghae. They were both good at dancing and were quite comfortable with each other since they were often partners at dances before so it wasn't really hard. She was kind of disappointed though because she wanted to dance with Kyuhyun first.

 

"I'm sorry for this, Haneul." Donghae apologized. "I don't know what came to my grandfather's mind."

 

"What are you saying, oppa? It's no big deal."

 

"Yeah, but I know you want to dance first with Kyuhyun-a. Although he said that it's alright, I know better. He's probably cursing me in his head right now."

 

She chuckled. "Probably. But oppa, do you know where he is?"

 

"At the library, I think. Grandfather heard that he's going to take up Law so he suggested some books for Kyuhyun to read there."

 

"You two look like a couple." Henry commented when he came inside the hall.

 

Donghae shot him a glare. "Stop it, Henry." She just laughed.

 

Henry pouted. "You're so grumpy nowadays, hyung. Anyway, we're called by Donghwa hyung for something. Are you two done practicing?"

 

"Go ahead, oppa. Let's just continue later."

 

"Alright. Will you be fine here?" Donghae asked her.

 

"I'll go see Kyunnie at the library. Where is that place, anyway?"

 

Donghae gave her the instructions to go to the library. She went upstairs and tried to find her way. It was a really big place with lots of rooms. She guessed that there are secret rooms there like those in the movies.

 

When she found the door she was looking for, she opened it quietly and sneaked in. She saw Kyuhyun reading at a table with his back facing her. He p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter