Book Chapter One

Publishing One's Love

Dear Fairy Godmother,

                Firstly, I want to say thank you. If it is not because of you, maybe I didn’t have fairytale happy ending I once dream. There are more than a hundred of things that I want to say to you, and I don’t know how to start it. Still, THANK YOU.

                After ten years of waiting, I finally found my happiness and right now, I am hoping for your happy ending too. Keep this notebook, Eunjin. May this serves as remembrance from me. Life’s short but a diary like this, lives forever.

               I know a diary should be kept by the owner. Never let anyone read even a single line from it. But then, why should we keep our memories in a paper and never let anyone read this? Shame or afraid of what the past may unveil?

            Hahaha. Why do I feel like I am threatening somebody? Anyways, Eunjin~ah, I know you have my old diary, the diary you first read. I know it’s full of fluffs, full of youth and hope and now this is full of inspiration for me. Keep this and give it to Eunmi when the time comes.

 I trust you with my life and now, you deserve to read my own fairytale story. Have your own fairytale story too, okay?

                I love you!

 

Lots of Love,

Lee Hanna, now Mrs. Oh

 

 

 


 

Year 2023

March 29, 2023

9AM KST; THURSDAY

Incheon International Airport

 

                Ten years had passed since Hanna left Korea for two reasons that almost broke her heart. Her father who is severely ill and Sehun, the love of her life, is in pain. The fate brought Sehun and Hanna miles away from each other. Sehun fly all the way to United States and she never heard any news about him while her father died three months later when they fly all the way to London.

            She can’t bear to go back to Korea with the pain she have. Mrs. Lee and Myungsoo tried to force her but nothing can make her mind say yes to go back to Korea. Not if she heard that Sehun’s back, but she’s sure that Sehun can’t be back after three months. It would be a miracle.

Since the remains of their late family member, Mr. Lee is needed to be sent back to their homeland; Mrs. Lee and Myungsoo were left with no other choice but leave Korea without Hanna.

“Korea changed so much, am I right?” Hanna asked the airport crew who assisted her all the way out from the customs. Her eyes roam around the airport and obviously, the airport improved some much that she wondered for a split moment if she really arrived in Incheon or not.

                “It seems that you have stayed abroad along time?”

                “Yeah, I was gone for ten years.” She replied coolly, remembering her life in London.

 

August 12, 2020

Entry #1

[Eight years of waiting. Should I give up?]

It is exactly eight years since her father had passed away and with the span of eight years, the pain inside her heart didn’t vanished. Having no news of Sehun for eight years is beyond more of ‘I miss him so much’ feeling.

“Are you really waiting for something impossible or what?” Her auntie asked her in the middle of August. Hanna shrugged at her Auntie and places the dishes in the sink. “My heart told me to wait for more.”

“Nana, you are such a romantic girl.” Her auntie cooed “But shouldn’t you date somebody else? You know our neighbor, Alexander? I think—“

“No Auntie.” She replied shaking her head. “Al and I were friends.”

“Okay.” Her auntie sighs, she walked towards her. “Nana, you are beautiful and yet, you are getting old.” She put an arm around the girl’s shoulder, “But waiting for eight years? No news from your lover boy?”

“I have trust in time, Auntie.”

“But what if the time doesn’t trust anybody or what if the time doesn’t trust you too?”

“Then let the Fate do a miracle.” Hanna answered and walked out of the flat.

It’s early in the morning and her Auntie reminded her of Sehun again. It’s been eight years, she knows but then, she will not let go of him even if she waited for a thousand year. Losing a great man like her father is pretty bad and she barely pulled herself back. She can’t imagine herself if she let go of Sehun but then, what if Sehun forget about her? She shook her head and she turns around the corner of the street.

During the first months since her family settled back in Korea, are the hardest months for Hanna. Growing up in Eastern part of the world and adjusting in the Western part is a challenge. Living with her Auntie she only meet thrice in her life was awkward and made everything harder but she’s thankful that her auntie was kind, and a thoughtful person.

Months after her father’s death, she realizes that she shouldn’t depend on her auntie too much. She’s not yet ready to go back home and she felt that her auntie knows it and she didn’t brag anything about Hanna. She didn’t finish her schooling in Korea and she has decided to continue studying in London. However, since the bread winner of her family was gone, she can’t depend on her mother for her schooling. She can’t even depend on her auntie who allowed her to live in her roof, and there she has decided to work as a waitress while studying.

After three years of studying while working, she finished schooling. She didn’t pursue her dream of being a doctor instead she took up anything related to business management. With luck, she got job weeks after graduating.

“Good luck Hanna!” Her auntie kissed her in the forehead on her first day of work. Months later, she was positioned in the higher position. Not that she wished for a better position. She loves her job after all. She’s starting to feel home at her job despite that she misses her real home the most.

“Nana,” Her friend called her as she passes by a cubicle. Hanna stops and leans toward the cubicle. “Did you hear the news?”

“What news?”

“The CEO fired his secretary and he needs a new one, immediately.” She emphasizes the last word. “And I heard that Mrs. Evans is going to get someone from our department!”

“Are you serious?” Hanna asked. “We can’t be a secretary of CEO in a snap. There are requirements!”

“Who cares about them?” Amy shrugs.

“Oh, right.” Hanna smiled and she moved away from Amy’s cubicle. She knocked on the office of Mrs. Evans, the H.R director and entered the room silently. “Here’s the report, Mam.”

“Oh yes.” Mrs. Evans put the telephone back and gave Hanna a small smile. “Thank you, Nana.” Hanna handed the folder and turn her back immediately to her office. Before she open the door, Mrs. Evans called her. Hanna tilted her gaze to her boss, “I’m going to assign you to Mr. Watson.”

Mr. Watson is the CEO of the Wu Companies. According to the H.R staffs, this Wu Company in London is the fourth branch of Wu Companies that originated in Beijing, China. The other companies are settled in States and South Korea, Hong Kong and other powerful countries. Hanna wanted to turn down the offer, she wanted to start a job from the lowest department and the thought of being a CEO Secretary didn’t even cross her mind. Because of Mrs. Evans and other folks in the company, she was left with no option but to say yes in the offer and the very next day, she is now the CEO Secretary and up to latest time, she is still one.

For five years, everything turned out to be good. Hanna move out of her Auntie’s home and move to a flat which is only a block away from her Auntie’s. She’s now the one who is taking care of her brother’s needs and she even manage to send money for her mother’s business which is now a popular restaurant. Could she wish for a better life? No. She said as enter a coffee shop. She wanted to settle back in Korea. Eight years is enough of running away from her past. She needs to patch things up.

“Nana?” She turned to her side and she recognizes immediately the tall guy beside her. Alexander Wright, the guy who have been a great friend of Hanna upon arriving in London. The guy who is living in the neighbor, whom her Auntie brag her about to date him but she always refuses. Al is great guy and a friend but not a lover.

“Day off, am I right?” Al asked as he reached for his bread. Hanna nod and she picked up her coffee after paying. She went aside and waited for Al for some time. “Great.” She heard him even though the cash register click loudly.

“Wouldn’t you mind going with me somewhere?” Al asked after he turned his back to the counter. As they step out of the shop, the warm air hit their faces. Al chuckled for a moment after he caught Hanna’s small panic when her hair almost dips in her coffee.

“I don’t.” Hanna remembered Al’s question. “Where are we going?” She shouted when she caught Al walking on the edge of the street.

            “Paris.” Al yelled back as his hand fly in the air, signaling a cab few feet away.

            “Are you kidding me?” Hanna looked at him with wide eyes.

            “No.” He said and he pulled Hanna inside the cab.

           

            After almost half of their day in traveling, they finally reach an orphanage in the middle of Paris. “Seriously?” Hanna asked Al after he pressed the doorbell.

            He cocked his head to his side in a questioning look. “You traveled for almost three hours just to go to an orphanage in Paris?”

            He just smiled and the door of the orphanage opened. “Alexander!” The old lady gave him a big hug. “It’s been ages since I saw you last.” The lady let go of Al with a smile still pasted on her face. “Oh, you looked ancient with your…” The old woman traced the line of her jawline.

            Al just smiled at her. “And wait, who’s…?”

            “Ah, this is Nana.” Al pulled Hanna and wrapped an arm on her shoulders. “My friend,” He says. “Nana, this is Mrs. Roberts and this orphanage used to be my home.”

“My first home…”

           

            It’s already six in the evening when they left the orphanage. “That’s was awesome.” Hanna said as they step out of the orphanage. “And hey, you didn’t say about that.”

            “Sorry.” Al said. “I am not really fond of talking about my past actually.” He added in a tone that he is not really into the said topic. Hanna didn’t said anything next as they walked down the streets.

“Did you saw Yohan?” Hanna suddenly asked as they caught a kid in pink jacket outside a candy shop. “The kid in pigtails and pink blouse...”

            “Yeah, I know her. She’s been there since she was really young. The kid was kind and you know, just like you.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “She’s witty like you, and beautiful.” Al said as they walked down the streets. Hanna checked her phone and she saw the time. “Should we head back to London? It’s getting late.”

            “Not yet.” Al replied as they walked down the nearest train station. “Can I ask you a question?”

            “Sure.”

            “Why don’t you adopt Yohan?” Al said. “The kid seems to like you and she sticks around for the whole time.”

“I notice that too.” Hanna agreed.

“And also, you’re twenty-eight and still mingling.”

            “And you’re thirty and still mingling too, Al.” Hanna fired back as they waited entered the compartment. “Why don’t you adopt her?”

            “Not in my mind. Hanna, I think you like the kid and the kid really likes you too.”

            Hanna didn’t say anything back as the train start to move. Half an hour pass, they were now walking down again in the streets to nowhere. As they turned around the corner, Hanna caught the Eiffel tower from afar.

            “Won’t miss a day off to Paris without seeing it?” Al whispered in her ears as they continue to walk towards the tower. “Feel free to roam around, Hanna. See you later.” He said and he wandered off. Hanna tries to tip her toes to watch the tall guy making his in the middle of the crowd but she just lost him in the matter of blink. She takes a deep breath and turned her gaze on the tower which is just few meters away from her.

            No pictures in the postcards, magazines or internet can define how beautiful the tower is. It’s her dream to see this tower and now her dream do come true. She put out her phone to take a picture of the Eiffel tower. She has decided to take a picture of it and send it to her mother to know that she’s not workaholic after all. She was about to press click when a familiar Asian guy stand a couple of feet from her caught the camera of her phone.

            Her hand reaches for the screen and zoom the Asian guy in the screen and there, on one glance on her direction. She recognized the face of the guy she missed for eight years, Oh Sehun. It seems the clock stop for her and her body starts to move in the crowd. Her eyes pinned on the Asian guy that named Oh Sehun.

            A cry stops Hanna from walking, she looked at her side and she saw a little girl weeping. She looked back at the direction of Sehun but he disappeared like Al. Her heart swell, she wanted to search the crowd for Sehun but then again, there’s like more than a thousand people in the crowd and less than zero point one percent that she will find Sehun in the crowd. She sighed deeply as she kneels down in front of the little girl.

            “Are you lost?” She asked. The little girl didn’t respond, she put her hands away from her face and turn her gaze on Hanna. “Yohan?!” Hanna baffled.

            “What are you doing here? How come you are here?”

            Yohan started to cry again. Hanna pulled the kid into a hug. She doesn’t understand how the kid reaches the place or even how she managed to slip out of the orphanage.

“Mama,” She heard Yohan in her sob. Hanna frowned but she didn’t say anything back to her. She’s totally confused and the same time her heart is beating fast. She saw Sehun. She’s sure of it.

“It’s okay, Yohan. We’ll bring you home…”She whispered to the kid and more like talking to herself that this is the right time to see home once again.

 

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------

A/N

P.S I am here to remind you again  that PLEASE don't mind the prequel and to the new readers out there please don't be bothered about the prequel. Yaay.  If you have any questions or whatever, feel free to talk to me!

THANK YOU FOR READING! Enjoy reading!