The garden

Why so serious?

Taemin awoke to the sun streaming in through the small gap down the centre of the heavy velvet curtains, shining directly into his face. He scoffs and rolls over "So far away and yet it still has perfect aim". He pulls down one of the big pillows on the bed and holds it against his chest, he moves his head to rest it on the pillow when something pricks his cheek "Mwo?" He lifts his head to find that it was the corner of a folded piece of card that had pricked his cheek. "Aish! What is this now?" Taemin picks up the card and inspects it whilst rubbing his cheek before he unfolds it to find it is a note with a strange message  on it: 'The Gryffin stands upon a secret alone'. Taemin furrows his brows in confusion "what does this mean? And who left this here?" he looks around the room but there isn't any trace of visitors. With a sigh he places it on his nightstand and checks the time groaning "well I guess I need to get up and get ready". Dejectedly he emerges from the bed, his flawless alabaster skin glowing in the dim light. He stretches and smiles, thankful for the privacy as he had chosen to go to bed in just his underwear the night before. Skippping over to the large, elegant wardrobe he throws open the huge doors, glancing inside and finding all his clothes there as they were pre-shipped. He reaches inside and pulls out one of the expensive uniforms that he is required to wear, he slips it on quickly and, amongst his hurried exit, he grabs the note and stuffs it into his pocket.

Descending the large staircase he had admired the day before, Taemin looks around the luxury that is the private dorm house he is staying in. He relaxes at the silence that meets his ears, happy that he s not yet met with the daunting task of facing any of the other students that attend the academy. As he reaches the bottom of the stairs his eyes fall upon a strangely dressed figure seated near the enterance 'what is he doing here?' Taemin's breathe hitches as he recognises the red laced coat the man is wearing 'No! It can't be!' his eyes widen in fear as the figure slowly turns to face him 'it's him! it's the rabbit from my dreams, what does he want?'. However when the figure's face is revealed it is the face of a handsome yet intelligent looking man. From looking at him Taemin could tell he was Korean , due to the angular shape of his face, unlike other Asian races Koreans are known for their accurate perfection. The man's eyes were that of a deep chocolate, his lips plump and his loosly curled hair shines a rustic Auburn in the light. The man was all together breathtaking, he was somehow beautiful without being feminine. Taemin had never seen any one like this before 'This man, he is from another world entirely'. The mans lips form an amused smile and Taemin realises he is staring so he quickly drops his eyes to the floor. Not before long a hand appears held out into his line of view so he looks up to find the man smiling down at him "Hello there, my name is Jinki but my friends know me as Onew. Its a pleasure to make your aquintance" Taemin gawps 'this Onew is impressive' Shaking his head Taemins takes the mans waiting hand and shakes it "I'm Taemin, its a pleasure to meet you too" With that the man glances at Taemins uniform before stating "You are a student here" Taemin nods "Yes, I arrived here yesterday" The mans eyebrows raise in astonishment. "Ah a new student! Well I hope you enjoy it here. Have you made any friends yet" Taemin laughs shyly "No not yet, I have the feeling that is going to be difficult" The man named Onew laughs in a child like way catching Taemin by surprise "Nonsense! I shall be your very first friend" Onew bows in a dramatic way, making Taemin feel less shy, at Taemin's opening up slightyly Onew ruffles Taemin's hair affectionatly. Taemin smiles comfortably in Onews prescence and looks up at him "Thank you Onew" With that said Onew beams "Don't mention it Taemin" Onew and Taemin smile at each other for a while, before Onew suddenly stirrs as if rememebring something "Ah. I'm sorry Taemin I have to be somewhere, I'm sure we shall meet again some other time though. Take care" and with that Onew was gone, hasitly yet gracfully dissapearing through a door on the other side of the room. Taemin stands there for a while staring in the direction Onew had left in 'Onew is strange but I'm glad I made a friend of him. I wonder what business he has here though' He remebrs Onew's attire and it's startling resemblance to that of the rabbit that hauns his thoughts ' it must ba coinsidenc, Onew clearly isn't a rabbit. He does seem exentric though so it's more than likely  that his wardrobe holds an array of unusal outfits...'After a few moments lost in thought Taemin comes to a sudden realisation "I'm going to be late for  class!" He quickly runs through the enterance, shivering at the cold English air, and heads towards the building were the academy's classes are held.

*          *            *       *      *     *      *     *       *

After a round of very awkward introductions that came which each of his classes, Taemin stalks the giant halls alone having failed at making any friends apart from the strange character he had met this morning. As his classes are done for the day, he aimlessly walks around the Academy, unsure of what to do with himself ' Geez, despite all the students that are here this place is like a graveyard'. He finds himself walking through a white pair of doors, panelled with crylstal like windows. He exits them into the garden and admires the splendid work of art before him; acres of land are presented to him filled with the vibrant colours of the hundreds of thousands of rare flowers that flood across its size, a huge hedge cut maze can be seen in the distance and right at the very heart is huge a Gryffin seated on a pedestal in the centre of a large pond. Taemin approaches the pond in  a trance like state, admiring the majestic Gryffin before him before he leans over to look into the pond, it's clear waters revealing the giant fish dancing beneath its surface. "Uwaahh! These fish are huge!" he sits on the egde of the pond admiring it's inhabitants as a child would, gasping as they come closer to the surface before diving down back to the bottom. An hour passes and Taemin remains totally captivated by the fish, glad that the garden is empty of students as he can admire these beautiful creatures in peace. As he is tracing his finger along the waters edge, allowing an angelfish to nuzzle it playfully, Taemin's eyes fall upon a flash of gold gliding around near the base the Gryffin's pedestal, a large golden fish was picking up and dropping the stones that were resting there. Disregarding the angelfish he was playing with Taemins leans over the edge further to get a better look at the elusive creature. He wedges his foot in the crevice at the base of the ponds wall to stable himself as he leans out to see the fish. He smiles as he gets closer, able to see it's beauty clearly by this point. The golden Piscis swims to the surface to come face to face with Taemin and he giggles as it splashes him with it's tail "Hello there little one, you are rather aren't you?". Just as Taemin was reaching out to offer his finger, as he had done previously, the small part of the wall he was siting on crumbles and Taemin falls into the pond, discovering it is deeper than first appearneces had left him to beleive. With a loud shriek Taemin is submerged by the cold water, soon regretting never having learned to swim. His limbs flail about uselessly in the water gaining him no leverage in getting to the surace, as he sinks deeper and deeper. Soon Taemin reaches the bottom of the pool desperatly holding his breath and praying for someone to save him. He panics turning his head this way and that looking for something that will save him from drowning when he notices something glimmering in a small hole, which is just big enough for a hand to fit in, at the base of the pedestal. His curiosity getting the better of him he momentarily forgets his situation and places his hand in the hole pulling out the object just as a pair of strong arms wrap themselves around his waist and pull him to the surface. Once his head breaks through the water Taemin gasps, gulping down oxygen to satisfy his burning lungs. As soon as his feet touch the ground he turns to thank his savour and is delighted to come face to face with a worried Onew fussing over him "Taemin are you okay? I saw you fall into the pond and I ran as quickly as I could to save you" He pulls small boy into his arms cradling him protectivly as if Taemin were a baby and he wanted to protect him from harm. Taemin breathed agaist Onews strong chest, grateful that his new friend was there to save him "Thank you Onew, for saving me. How can I repay you?" Onew simply chuckled and shook his head "don't thank me Taemin, its what friends are there for right? And as for repaying me, you can do that by being careful and keeping yourself safe" Onew pulls away to look the latter in the eyes, pleased when Taemin nods " I'll be more careful, I promise". Onew stands and helps Taemin up "good, now lets go back to the dorms and get dry, okay?" Taemin nods and moves to show Onew the way, but whimpers and falls, he is quickly caught by his savour before he hits the ground "Taemin, whats the matter?" Taemin looks up at Onew apolagetically "I'm sorry, I thnk my ankle is twisted" Onew stands holding Taemin steady. "Its okay, you can jump on my back and I'll carry you there, you will have to direct me though" Taemin nods and allowes Onew to carry him on his back, feeling a little self conscious as to whether he is too heavy or not.

After a few minutes of tracking Taemin's steps back to the dorm, they reached Taemin's room and Onew had set Taemin down on the edge of the bed "where is the bathroom?, I'll fetch some towels and a hairdryer". Dithering like a small toddler Taemin points to a door on the same wall as his wardobe "its through there". Nodding in thanks Onew walkes off through the door, re-amerging a few moments later with two big, fluffy towels and a sleek black hairdryer "here we are, lets get you dry before you get ill".Onew wraps one of the towels around Taemin and picks up the hairdryer, turning it on and setting to work drying Taemins hair. Whist Onew was concentrating on his hair, Taemin takes the time to deliberate exactly what Onew was to him, and after considering Onews kind behavour towards him he comes to the conclusion that he sees Onew more as a big brother rather than a friend and he smiles at the thought. Onew notices Taemin's smile and smiles himself "what's making you smile?" at this Taemin's smile grows and he shakes his head "nothing" 'Hyung', he speaks the last part in his mind, not sure whether Onew would be comfortable with being reffered to in that way and being to shy to ask him.

*      *      *     *    *     *     *     *     *     *

Once they were both dry, Onew tuckes Taemin into his bed and kisses his head before turning to leave, but before he had reached the door, Taemin limped up to him, hugging him from behind "thank you, Onew, for today. You saved my life". Onew twists to look at Taemin "Your welcome Taemin, now get in bed and get some sleep, its late" Taemin nods and heads back to his bed, waving to Onew as he left the room. Once Onew was gone Taemin climbs onto his bed, smiling "Taemin you've found yourself a valuble friend". Just as he was about to curl back up under the covers he suddenly remembers the object he had found in the pond, he jumps off the bed again and cautiously walks over to his disgarded pants. He rumages through his pockets, where he had stuffed the object once Onew had pulled him from the water. 'How could I have forgotten?' Taemin's fingers come across the object and he pulls it out, holding it up to inspect it and gasping as what he had found in the lake was a key. A large brass key with Ivy entwined along it's handle, it was a key unlike anything he had ever seen. He ponders its strangeness 'what is this the key to? And why was it in the pond?' He stands and holds the key to the light, hoping something would be revealed by the action and pouts when it isn't. He groans in frustration, shouting at the key "WHAT DO YOU MEAN!" Taemin sighs and places the key in the draw of his nightstand and shutsit, before picking up his pants and walking to his washing hamper, being about to throw them in when the piece of card falls out. Looking down at it, He throws his pants in the hamper and then bends over, picking up the piece of card and walking back to the bed with it. He sits on the bed and opens it, reading  the strange messege again 'The Gryffin stands on a secret alone' he is pouting once again "I still don't know what you mean either". After a few minutes it hits him"Oh!" he takes out the key holding it next to the note "The key, it was at the base of the Gryffin's pedestal, the key is the secret the Gryffin was standing on!" He smiles, seemingly pleased with himself for figuring it out, but it isn't long before he is puzzling again "but what kind of secret are you?" Taemin sits and ponders this some more before he remebers how he came into posession of the note. It was on his pillow when he woke up, meaning someone meant for Taemin to find the key. He looks around his room, a sudden erieness making itself known. Taemin shivers and throws the key and the note into the draw and slams it shut before ducking under the covers, making sure to pull them over his head. He hugs his knees to his chest in fear 'why? Why was I meant to find the key? why was the note on my pillow? who put it there and what does it mean?' Taemin asks himself these questions over again untill his eyelids become heavy and sleep over takes him but this night his dreams of the white rabbit are altered some how, as if affected by his recent discoveries. Could they be linked?

Outside in the garden, Onew stands in the darkness watching the golden fish in the pond, the same one Taemin had been admiring before he fell in. A figure comes into view and Onew turns to face him "He is the one" he turns his head and looks up at the Gryffin "The Gryffin gave him the key, he  is the one who will save us". With the confirmation having been made the two figures part ways, dissapearing like ghosts into the night....