Chapter 5

Stupid Secret Fiancé

Hi there! This is Jae. Well it’s obvious from the writing. Haha. Anyways, I ran away for good. Don’t look for me since I only cause trouble for this family hahaha am I right? ^^

 

It has been two weeks since the Ahns reported their second daughter missing. They even hired a private detective to look for her but with the description they gave, it was no use.

Ahn Jae Ri changed her look after all.

“Marude kowareta kokoro~” she sang. Headphones resting on her neck, her ash brown hair with red highlights tied into a ponytail. She wore eyeliner and a black mask on; phone in hand, the screen displaying ‘Crash-JPN ver.’

Right after her escape that night, she headed straight to a salon and colored her hair. It was not really what she wanted though. Jae Ri wanted to her head to be blue but opted against it. It would cause too much attention. And she can’t risk being caught just because she stands out with bubblegum colored hair.

She was heading home after her shift at a nearby café. It wasn’t as hard as she thought. Being a runaway made her independent.

Although she had to fraud a little here and there, she got by okay. Being a waitress at a café without any credentials was also a good deal.

The pay wasn’t much but it wasn’t like Ahn Jae Ri was poor. She just decided to start saving since the money she took with her won’t be enough for all the new stuff she needs. “I’m home~” she sang, opening the door of her apartment. A sofa with colorful throw pillows was placed in the middle, facing a television set; under it was a big beige rug. On the right side of the maroon colored walls was a full body mirror with Christmas lights around the edges; on either side of the mirror was two wooden doors. One for the bathroom and the other for her room. The left side of the room had a metallic counter and cupboards, a mini fridge was next to it. All the things in the apartment was charged to her credit card, she was careful not to leave any trace though. It wasn’t as big as her old room but she felt like she belong here. Jae Ri headed to the makeshift kitchen.

It wasn’t as full of food as the one at the mansion but it was better. Better to be by herself alone than be surrounded with people you have to please. She started cutting bread and preparing the vegetables for her sandwich. The TV was on, Gag concert showing up on the screen, the sound of laughter from it filled Jae Ri’s living room. She then watched the show and laughed, enjoying another day of not being Ahn Jae Ri.

Away from pressure, responsibilities, and the elite.

She took a bite of her sandwich before standing up to grab juice. “Yeah that’s My Jam. Burn It Up areumdaun ibame” Her phone began to ring so she swallowed before changing her voice. “Hello?” Jae Ri picked up the call and casually spoke in Nihongo.

She pretended to be Japanese so that she wouldn’t be found. One perk of being schooled internationally she didn’t really know until recently. “How may I help you?” The other line hasn’t responded so Jae Ri tried to ask in Korean keeping an accent. “Who is this?”

“Jae?” the voice was hesitant and unsure but Jae Ri froze. The other line did know her afterall.

About a minute of silence, the voice called out. This time, a firmer tone “Jae Ri you need to go home. Mom and Dad are worried sick. Do you know how much trouble you caused? Your disappearance made the headlines for crying out loud! Its-” but Jae Ri didn’t budge. She stood planted on her spot, phone brought down from her ear, listening to the faint murmur of her sister.

It was fine before she called. She was fine before being reminded of the mess she left behind. But a part of Jae Ri knew she’d be contacted eventually. With the money their family had and the numerous connections, she’d be tracked one way or another.

“Is that all?” her tone took an icy note. Jae Ri has had enough of being told off. She was going to try again and hide until she gets rid of being Ahn.

“Don’t call me anymore. I’m done.” She ended the call. Memories of that night came back and Jae Ri got a headache from thinking of an infinite number of ‘what if’s.

What if she talked to Hyun Ji the moment she got home?

What if she just listened to her mother and went straight home?

What if the Jung kid didn’t stop the car on time? That would've been nice

“Ah. Annoying brain.” She hit her head and turned off the tv before falling face down on the sofa. She regretted a lot of things but after realizing she couldn’t have changed anything her mother planned, she came to the conclusion this was the only way.

Jae Ri also knew she hurt her sister again by shutting her out, but at least Hyun Ji has one less problem to deal with.

I’m nothing but a bother to them.

She already has a lot to think about and Jae Ri complaining is just adding to her older sister’s plate.

Moments later, her phone started to ring again. “Yeah?” she answered, not even bothering to look at the caller ID. “Jae I’m sorry if I sounded mean for bringing all that up.”

The same voice from earlier. Hyun Ji.

“It’s just…I need to know you’re fine. I’m worried.”

“So am I. Sorry, I mean. But if you know my number then my freedom would end.” Jae Ri tried to keep her voice even but a bit of panic leaked. “They don’t know I contacted you. Don’t worry. I still got your back.” The eldest Ahn reassured, Jae Ri didn’t speak.

She missed Hyun Ji. She missed talking random things to the person she’s closest to. She missed using her sister’s stuff without permission because it was routine. She missed being yelled at for doing the stupidest things. She missed some parts of her old life but there’s so much she has to learn on her own. There are some things exciting out there and she wants to be a part of that. She wants risks. Most of all, she wants to decide her life. She wants to be herself and not an actress.

I would win the Oscars if I wanted to, with the years of experience I had.

Jae Ri thought back to the various occasions she forced a smile and laughed at parties their parents went to. Even as a child, her actions were restricted.

“A lady should never run.”

“Keep your back straight. Don’t slouch.”

“Jae Ri. Manners.”

“Hey Hyun Ji, is that really why you called?” Her tone finally softened and was almost chuckling. It wasn’t her older sister’s fault, so why take it out on her? Jae Ri reasoned to herself.

“Its-” the older Ahn's voice cracked “Jae just come home please.”

“No!” scoffing, Jae Ri explained “What for? I’m doing fine and besides it’s not like I’m bothering anyone. I don’t belong there anyway.” She chuckled. “Is mom and dad going to hire a nationwide search party?” but her laughter died down when she heard sobbing.

“Hyun Ji?” All she could hear from the other line is restrained sobbing. A couple seconds later…

“I’m being engaged.”

 

“That’s not funny.” Jae Ri said almost a whisper, more on convincing herself, an awkward laugh she forced out. “Business is fine. You got good grades. Hell, you even passed the extra load given by the school. Come on Hyun Ji give me something realistic.”

was closing. It was becoming hard to breathe. The laugh she forced was almost choking. Trying to lighten the mood with that big a news was impossible. “They said it is for security. If ever business goes bad at least we still have back up.” Hyun Ji finally was able to explain after a few sniffles here and there.

“I…need you Jae. You could always turn the tables around. Negotiate with mom and tell her you’ll return home if they call it off.”

Jae Ri thought about it and remembered settling a score with the Jungs. She doesn’t want that incident to happen again. She couldn’t jeopardize another relationship her mom built.

“What if the other side wants to push through with this? No. We couldn’t risk it. I have to sever the deal from their side before we ‘complacently agree if they want to call it off’. Otherwise it would be like the Jung incident. No. They have to be the ones who cancel.” Jae Ri laid out her plan and explained in detail what she plans to do to Hyun Ji whom is sniffling on the other line, her crying finally subsiding.

“So the first thing is information. Give me what you got.” The younger Ahn took a pen and cradled the phone between her shoulder and ear, preparing to write on her arm. “I don’t know his name. They never mentioned it.” Hyun Ji’s voice was raw “but I remember mentioning his school. I think it’s Koryeo?.”

The younger Ahn got what she needs and says her goodbyes. Ahn Jae Ri put on her game face. She has a lot to prepare for this job. Because there’s also a lot at stake.