Chapter 3

Stupid Secret Fiancé

Chapter 3

Hyun Ji tapped her foot in annoyance. She stood outside of the shop she bought 2 pairs of shoes from. People passed by and still no sign of her troublesome sister. How long does it take to eat?

Opening her phone and checking the time for the past 30 minutes, Hyun Ji decided something is wrong. “I’m going to kill a brat.” She hissed while dialing. Being an heiress does have its perks but it also comes with a lot of responsibility

Ever since Hyun Ji was told to inherit the family business, she felt more pressured to make no error in everything. It isn’t much of a hassle since she enjoys meeting new people, visiting places, and dressing up. The only pain in the is how Jae Ri never seems to cooperate in these kind of things. She has to force the troublesome teen into doing her part for the business. One day Jae Ri will be responsible, apparently today is not it.

On the other end Jae Ri heard her phone ringing and looked at the caller ID

She swiped the answer button but immediately pulled the phone away from her ear

“Yah! Where the hell are you?” Hyun Ji barked

“I-“

“I’ve already bought shoes and it’s been half an hour since you ditched me. We need clothes Jae, and if you don’t come back here this damn minute, I swear I’ll cut your favorite shirt and turn it into a crop top. You know I’ve been dying to.” Then she hang up

Jae Ri let out a frustrated mumble, pocketed her phone then started to walk lazily towards the shop where she ditched her sister.

“It’s not my fault some idiot cut in line” She said to herself trying to justify her tardiness

After a few minutes she saw her sister in front of Tony Moly which was right next to the shop where they agreed to meet. Apparently Tony Moly was having a sale and Hyun Ji just can’t say no.

Jae Ri entered the shop and felt out of place. This isn’t her forte. Hyun Ji taught her about color schemes and complementary shades but no matter how hard she tries, there is no such thing as cerulean. Blue is blue. End of conversation.

“Look at this!” Hyun Ji squealed as she held a lip tint. “Its 10% off and looks good on me.”  She tried it on and grinned.

At least the idea of butchering my favorite shirt is now gone Jae Ri followed Hyun Ji through the store picking up and trying on stuff. The younger Ahn had no choice but to hold the stuff her sister bought one store after the other.

“Feed me” Jae Ri whined

“Yeah yeah we’ll eat next. Don’t worry” Hyun Ji grinned

Their next stop was at one of the restaurant’s their family owned

When Jae Ri saw the sign, relief washed over her and dashed inside. She plopped down on the sofa and yelled “Aunt Ji Eun! Feed me~” Hyun Ji on the other hand, was on the phone quietly having a conversation as she strutted towards the table her younger sister has chosen,

“Yah, Jae, you really should be more polite this isn’t the house where we can just shout anytime.” Hyun Ji smacked her sister once her call ended.

“Someone called me?” A tall woman appeared in front of them, soft brown curls falling beside her smiling face. “FEED ME~” was the younger one’s reply

“Your sister is right Jae, what if we had a lot of customers?”

“She’s in no condition to listen Aunt Ji Eun. Jae has been saying ‘feed me’ the entire afternoon.”  Hyun Ji explained while arranging the bagged items she bought.

Their aunt Song Ji Eun chuckled and motioned for a waiter to serve them. “I know. Jae texted me 5 minutes before you arrived. She must’ve sensed you’ll come here.” A plate of fries with honey mustard dip, lasagna and a cheeseburger was placed on their table. The sisters had a fondness of visiting this branch because the cuisine has both their favorites. All the greasy American food the younger Ahn loves and the Italian sophistication Hyun Ji enjoys can both be found here.

Jae Ri placed the plate of fries between her and Hyun Ji, took the burger and gave the lasagna to her sister. Their usual orders would vary, but it has been a habit of Jae Ri to order fries. It is like her staple food. After rice that is.

“So why are you two out?”  Their aunt started

“Jae attempted to run away twice.” Hyun Ji shrugged as she picked up a fork

“In my defense, it was once. ONCE. Ditching you for food is not running away.” Jae picked up her burger and took a bite. “And I asked permission from you”

The older Ahn scoffed “Yeah you asked permission after I noticed you weren’t following me.” She chuckled while slicing the pasta. “If I didn’t, then you would’ve spent the entire day alone. Doing what exactly?”

Jae Ri acted shocked “Excuse me. I have a life too. I would’ve bought food, watched a movie then go home.” She picked fries as much as her hands could and dipped them all at once.

“That’s pointless.”

“I know.”

They exchanged stories with their aunt and playfully bantered. Until Jae Ri remembered the dinner they were supposed to go to. “Aunt Ji Eun, do you know who this friend is?” Jae Ri asked waving a fry in the air

“She doesn’t tell me much but I have a guess.” Their aunt teases, her eyebrows wiggling

“Tell us please. Oh, I hope they have a kid I could bully.” Jae Ri pleaded and muttered the last part to herself while the older two laughed. This girl is always mean and there is no changing that

“I overheard her saying it’s a guy and that the dinner is a half business affiliated and half personal one.”

Jae Ri furrowed her brows. “So it’s a friend who mom will do business with?” Ji Eun nodded and took one French fry from her younger niece’s plate, ignoring the glare being thrown at her. “Aunt Ji, do you know who he is?” Hyun Ji asked next. The eldest of the three, shrugged and attempted to hide a smile. It’s not yet time to tell you but you’ll see him soon.

“Hey, stop talking and finish your food. Sis is going to kill me if I let you two go home late.” Ji Eun changed the subject and scolded the Ahn siblings. “Aye captain.” Jae Ri saluted and bid farewell to their aunt, rushing towards the door leaving Hyun Ji behind. The younger Ahn waited by the entrance of the restaurant, and fiddled with her phone. When she saw her older sister come out, they started walking towards the exit and went home.

Jae Ri bounced on her sisters bed, the once arranged and neatly folded baby blue covers were now everywhere. Music boomed inside Hyun Ji’s organized room and suddenly it felt like Jae’s Room. “Turn the volume lower.” Hyun Ji’s voice was being drowned by B.A.P.’s Warrior. But Jae Ri heard her and obeyed.

She then went inside the closet where her sister is “Digi digi dum digi digi dum~” she sang along. “What am I doing again?” she asked as the next song began playing, leaning on the doorway.

Hyun Ji was taking out the items she bought and trying them on; mix and matching them. “You’re here because you’ll try what I’m going to give you later.” She stated matter-of-factly while her eyes are fixated on the mirror, holding a white long sleeved polo on one hand and a fitted skirt with plenty of intersecting lines on the other. Jae Ri just pursed her lips and went back to the bed “Call me when you’re done”

She dug inside Hyun Ji’s bag, took out the laptop and went straight to Youtube. Jae Ri watched videos online for about 30 minutes before checking up on her sister. “You’re taking too long. I’m already sleepy.” She whined on the way to the closet.

“I’m choosing shoes now.”  Hyun Ji was sitting crossed-legged on the floor looking inside clear boxes which housed various shoes. From her favorite black ankle leather boots to her newly bought pumps, everything was meticulously arranged under the mahogany cabinet filled with jackets, shirts and blouses

“And that’s progress?” Jae Ri almost yelled as she leaned on the doorway then groaned leaving her meticulous sister alone in the closet.  It’s pointless to argue when she doesn’t listen. She returned to what she was doing earlier: watching videos.

It was a well-known fact that Hyun Ji plans everything in detail. It may be appearance – hair, makeup, shoes, to who she’s meeting. Sometimes Jae Ri thinks her older sister is a spy with that much information and preparation done.

Jumping on the bed, the younger Ahn began reading the scribbles on the sticky notes stuck on Hyun Ji’s cream colored walls. Most were about reports to be submitted; due dates of papers and projects until she found one note a bit separated from the others

May 18: Meeting with HIM. DON’T BE LATE

Jae Ri was curious but didn’t want to ask her sister. But someone does immediately come to mind when she first saw the note. She let the issue go as she plopped down on the mass of pillows and changed the song. “U.N.B.R.E.A.K.A.B.L.E you know, I’m unbreakable yeeeah~”

“STOP SHOUTING!”

Jae Ri merely chuckled at her sister’s reaction to her ‘high notes’.