B

Oak-Trees

“Hey” the boy said having caught up to me.
I only managed to give him a slight nod that didn’t quite satisfy him.
“I really wanted to read that book. Aish, who would have thought that someone had asked for it before me.”
I only nodded again.
He looked at me, annoyed he can’t get a sound out of me.
From the corner of my eye, I saw him furrowing his eyebrows.
Then, he started humming.
It sounded like he had a nice voice. It took me a few moments to recognise the song.
“Oh!”
“Hmm? What is it?” the boy sounded excited to finally hear something from me.
“Ah, well.. I just. I k-know that song.”
“You do?! It’s really good, right? It’s one of my favorites!”
“I like it a lot, too.”
Somehow, after that we had a conversation going on. Turned out that we had a lot of common interests despite our different characterics.”
“Whether it was faith, destiny or his efforts,” we both chuckled at this note, “we spent a lot of time together, getting to know each other, growing feelings of love for each other. So, in the last year of high school, in that beautiful time of the year, when cherry blossoms cover the streets, he proposed to me. And I said “Yes”. There were no doubts in my head. Everything that happened felt natural.
We had not seperated since. Only when he.. when he.. he went away to the heaven did we separate.”

Silence errupted as if to point out the sudden sad atmosphere from having to go through the same pain of losing your other half again.
She held back the tears, she was being strong for me not to worry.
 
I did so anyway.

“I know it probably sounds too good to be true and fairy tale-like, well to be honest, we did have our down times just like everyone else, but we were really made for each other. We completed each other. We were a whole. I can’t explain it, but it’s like a never ending source of happiness. Out of this world happiness.”

I remember how calm she was, how her eyes sparkled when she spoke those words.
I could feel how true they were, yet I could not believe something like that was possible in this polluted world.

Despite the doubts, I knew that somewhere deep inside of me a small hope had blossomed.
A hope for truth, hope for peace and love.