A

Oak-Trees

I shivered as the cold wind blew through the open window. “It’s getting chilly outside,” I thought.
Unwillingly, I closed the window. I loved the fresh air coming in the room and felt like suffocating if I didn’t get to breath it for a longer time.


My room looked like it wasn’t even inhabited. There was not a lot of furniture, just what I really needed: a bed, a small shelf for some books and a picture frame, a little table where I could study or do some reading.
As I had recently moved in, I had not unpacked all of my clothes. There was no place to put them too. I was going to keep them in boxes and travel bags until I figure out where I could put them.
I didn’t like wardrobes. They were tall and made me feel unsafe because of their intimidating  size. I prefered dressers.

The old lady, whom I was renting my room from, was a very nice and kind lady. Apart from the room, I could also use the bathroom, which we had to share. But I didn’t mind it – she reminded me of my late granny, with whom I had lived for quite a while, until she passed away.
Also, I was allowed to use the kitchen. That was one of my most favorite places in the world! Especially when the nice old lady made something for me. I told her not to bother, but she wouldn’t listen and make me the best stews, soups and – what I enjoyed most – baked cookies.

There’s nothing better that a dish that’s made from the heart and just for you.

My housemate granny felt lonely. I could tell. Behind all the smiling and laughing she was hiding the pain of living without her dearest person – her deceased husband.
One time she had opened up to me and told me her love story. It was beautifully painful.


From the beginning, she knew that they would spend their lives together till the end.
The first time they met, they were both freshmen in highschool. As shy as she was, her lover was quite the opposite. He was loud, he was a little obnoxious, he was the center of attention as much as she was a by-stander and was afraid to stand out in the crowd as that would make her feel embarrassed.

How did thay manage to find each other, to be drawn together when thay were so different?
This is what she told me:
“As they say, opposites attract. And it felt just like that for us.

The first official meeting and exchange of sparkles was at the school library.
It was only five minutes to closing time when I had rushed to the library to get the new book “To Kill a Mockingbird” from the library. It was the first day it had been put in the library for everyone to take a look at and I was excited to get my hands on it. I had told the librarian that I would take it and to not give it to anyone else.I, who was a young girl back then, was late because of detention I had gotten from spacing out in the classroom too obviously. It was a habit I had gotten from reading and dreaming too much. The teachers would always tell me to stop flying around and give the lesson all the attention. I tried giving it a shot, but I was too much of a dreamer so it stayed theway it was before.

-It’s funny how I was the best student in my class but at the same time, got yelled at the most too.-” Granny laughed lightly and I joined her. She sighed shortly, before continuing:

“So, as I was rushing to get to it at the last minute, I noticed someone else rush inside just a few meters before me. It was my boy.

“What do you mean you don’t have it? It was supposed to come out today!”  he sounded  breathless and dissapointed.
“Well, we did get it today. But one girl already asked to keep it for her to give,” the librarian paused for a short moment.


“It looks like she won’t be coming today… I guess I can give it to you then,” she studied the books beneath her table looking for the one he was anticipating to see. As the said girl – me -  had overheard the conversation, I knew what was going to happen if I didn’t speak up. So I gathered the little courage I had and spoke: “Excuse me.. I was the one who asked you to keep the book for me,”  silently, but loud enough for the two other people, that were the only ones left in the library, to hear.
“Oh, so you came! You’re quite late.”
“I know. An urgent thing came up and I couldn’t help it. I apologise.”


I remember my exact movements – the younger version of me put a straind of hair behind her ears, cheeks reddening as she felt the stare of the boy, whose hope of getting the book was just taken away.
“Here you go, there’s the book.”
“Thank you,” I replied taking the book from her hands, nearly dropping it because of my shaking hands.

My look landed on the boy, our eyes meeting for a milisecond. It was long enough for the both of us to feel the electricity and the invisible sparkles between us.
I bowed and went away.
I could feel a presence behind me. Someone was following me.
It was him.
Opposites had started attracting.”