Call Me The Doctor

The Doctor & Me

*for old subscribers, I updated the foreword :D*

It was all hush when Jiyong and the strange man finally got a ride in Mrs. Kwon’s car. Jiyong napped beside the man, his hands still intertwined with the man’s.

“Thank you sir for accompanying our Jiyongie, I got stuck in a heavy traffic from Itaewon. I think they were having some Youth Festival or something.” Mrs. Kwon said while eyeing the two males from her rear view mirror.

“No problem ma’am. I think I should be thanking your son for being there.” The man answers.

“So, Jiyong said you are working at the company?”

“Yes, kind of.” He lied.

“So what do you do?”

“I’m The Doctor.”

“Ah, so you’re the in-house doctor?”

“You can say that. They all call me The Doctor.”

Of course The Doctor didn’t tell Mrs. Kwon about the time-travelling he does or the blown-up TARDIS. He just wanted to find the nearest telephone booth to inform the officials from his planet about his TARDIS. He was anxious at first but if the blown-up TARDIS is not replaced, he’ll be stuck in this time zone forever.

And you know what’s worst than being stuck in a time zone? No internet connection, thought The Doctor. As soon as he saw a black box with the red telephone inside, he told Mrs. Kwon to stop the car.

“Thank you Mrs. Kwon. I will visit you and Jiyong next time. I promise.” The Doctor said.

“You’re most welcomed. Thank you again for taking care of Jiyong.”

The Doctor submits his farewell and walked towards the telephone booth he spotted earlier. He reached his pocket to find his sonic screwdriver but the screwdriver is not at the place he remembered putting it. He searched from his top pocket until the bottom ones and no sonic screwdrivers were found. “No, no. My TARDIS has exploded, now my sonic screwdriver CAN’T be missing! Screw the doctor! Screw me! Where is my screwdriver?!” The Doctor fretfully said while banging his head on the telephone booth’s wall.

He stopped the banging afterwards and looked up. He just remembered that he had showcased his old screwdriver to the little boy he met. “Jiyongie, that’s it! I gave it to convince him, so that he can convince his mother to give me a lift. Damn it! Now what should I do? The ahjumma’s car left already and I don’t know where he lives. Oh, you raggedy doctor.” The Doctor hits himself once more and left the telephone booth.

As he walked away from the telephone booth, he remembers one significant talk he had with the little boy:

“Mom is never late. Usually 10PM is the latest.” Jiyong said.

“Where do you live? If only the TARDIS didn’t blow up, I could’ve sent you home yesterday.”

“What is that blue box that had just exploded? Why did the dog bark really loud before you and your box fell out of the sky but remained still when it exploded?”

“You are one dangerous boy. You ask too many questions.”

“Itaewon. I live in Itaewon.”

“Itaewon? Isn’t that a pretty busy place to live? Do they even have houses built there? You know, the last time I went there -which was in 2039 btw, it is full of clubs and hotels.”

“The last time you went there was in 2039? That is 39 years in the future.”

“Exactly! You’re really good in maths.”

 

“Right! Itaewon! I am not sure which house in Itaewon he lives in but- Itaewon!” The Doctor ran in the direction of where Mrs. Kwon’s car took off. The speed of The Doctor’s running is not as fast as Usain Bolt but to describe it further, his running would probably win a marathon. But The Doctor still wishes his long legs were, longer, and he can run as fast to catch up with Mrs. Kwon’s car. If only Seoul doesn’t change so much. The Doctor thougt, while trying not to pant like a half-dead fish. He would slower his pace every time he meets a signboard and followed the direction given. After three traffic lights and five blocks of buildings, The Doctor finally saw a glimpse of Mrs. Kwon’s jet black Hyundai. But he didn’t even get to take a breather when the Hyundai started to move and The Doctor was forced to make a run again. After another two traffic lights, The Doctor decided to take a Bus and instructed the bus driver to follow the black Hyundai.

When he arrived in a small neighbourhood-possibly Itaewon, his eyes went wild searching for the black Hyundai. He checked every houses and parking lots very cautiously for he did not want to miss Mrs. Kwon’s car. When he finally found it, another problem arises, the Kwons are living in an apartment. Any one of the four-blocks-25-stories apartment can be the Kwons’ residence.

“This is impossible. But nothing is impossible for The Doctor!” He said to motivate himself.

Fortunately all blocks are provided with mailboxes that has name tags and house number so all The Doctor had to do was find The Kwon’s mailbox. The Doctor observed the names of the mailboxes row after row, blocks after blocks until The Kwons’ mailbox was found.

 House number C-04-24.

The Doctor took the lift to the fourth floor and hurriedly finds the 24th apartment of the floor. The Kwons’ apartment was finally found, with the father’s name plate hanging on the side of the door. The Doctor was unsure if ringing the bell was the best idea. And he didn’t want to meet Mrs. Kwon once more. He just wanted his sonic screwdriver back from Jiyong’s hands.

“That means I have to get it the hard way then.” The Doctor sighs.

He went to the apartment next to the Kwons’ and ringed their bell. A young woman in her 20s greeted the doctor. The woman’s pupil dilates when they were laid upon The Doctor’s attractive physical attributes. “Hello Miss,” The Doctor greeted politely, “I just moved in last week and realized we haven’t met yet. My name is Brian, I’m from America.” Lied The Doctor. “Oh, American?” the woman shyly asks. “Well, isn’t it kind of rude to let your guest stand outside the door?” “What? Oh, sorry. Come in Mr. Brian.”

“Would you mind to make me some tea Miss-”

“Hyomin, but you can call me by my English name, it’s Anna”

“Right, Miss Anna.”

“I’ll fix you some tea.”

The woman left The Doctor in her living room while she went to her kitchen. It gave The Doctor enough time to explore the living room and find her balcony. He went out to her balcony and eyed the Kwons’ balcony next door. The distance between the two balconies is three feet apart but with The Doctors’ long legs, he was assured he could reach the Kwons’ balconies by jumping.

He took a deep breath and climbed up the guard rails of the balcony and without looking four stories under, he made a big leap. Unfortunately he fell off the rail of the Kwons’ balcony and his life is hanging on his coat that was caught between the rails. He stayed calm and tried to reach the rails with both of his hands.Right then, The Doctor felt something was holding on to his right hand. Luckily, little Jiyong saw The Doctor on his balcony and came up to find The Doctor hanging on his balcony.

When The Doctor had lucratively landed on the Kwons’ balcony in one piece, he gave a pat on the head of little Jiyong and Jiyong sat silently beside The Doctor, looking at The Doctor’s restless face attentively.

“You saved me twice today, kid.” The Doctor said. Jiyong gave a hint of smile and The Doctor smiled back.

“I’m sorry for coming on a short notice.” The Doctor continued.

“You promised you’d come back.” Jiyong said.

“Ah, I did. Kiddo, I also came back for something that I accidentally left with you.”

“Is that the main reason you came to my house?”

“Yes, kind of.”

“What are you looking for?”

“You know, some kind of magic wand I showed you earlier.”

“Sonic screwdriver?”

“Yeah, that’s it kiddo, sonic screwdriver.”

Jiyong went back into his room, followed by The Doctor and he searched his bag pack for The Doctor’s sonic screwdriver.

“Your room’s walls are blue, just like the TARDIS.” The Doctor said while Jiyong hands in the ‘magic wand’ The Doctor has asked about earlier.

“What is a TARDIS?”

“It’s Time and Relative Dimension in Space; the blue box that exploded earlier.”

“Time and Relative Dimension in Space? What does it do?”

“Time travel! You see, I’m a Time Lord.”

“A Time Lord? You do time travels?  Is that why the last time you went to Itaewon was in 2039?”

“Yes.”

“Does that mean you can go back to the time before I was born?”

“I surely can.”

“And the time I finally become a singer? In that way you know if I’ll be a famous singer or not, right?”

“You want to be a singer?”

“Yes, I do. That’s why I trained at the company. Although what I basically do right now is only cleaning the studio, but sometimes the hyungs let me record a few mixes.”

“Ah, right. A trainee.”  The Doctor said. “Oh well, look at the time. I need to go. Bye-bye again, kiddo.”

“Wait.” Jiyong suddenly said. The Doctor turned to Jiyong’s attention.

“Can I come?”

“My TARDIS has exploded, there’s nothing much for a twelve year old can do.”

“I can help you get around here, or just whatever you need me for, please.” Jiyong begged, with his sparkling eyes.

The Doctor still weighed his request. Little Kwon did save his life twice. Why not give the little boy a little fun?

 

“Come along, Kwon.”