The TARDIS explodes

The Doctor & Me

 

Jiyong sat on the edge of his swings on one cold night of December, waiting for Mrs. Kwon to pick him up after his daily training at the YG building in the busy district of Mapo-gu. Usually the area was full of university  students on dates or it was just plain noisy, but on that windy night, the playground was quiet.

He repeatedly checks his Batman wristwatch for the time but no one familiar crossed his sight. “It’s already 11pm,” Jiyong says to himself. “I should have gone back with Youngbae. I have school tomorrow.” Jiyong never really cared about school; he’d rather spend his time with the cool Hyungs from YG than being bullied by some people at his school. But that night, all he could ever think of was his English homework that was due tomorrow.

Jiyong walks away from the swings and strolled along the streetlamps, kicking the snow aside biding his time. It wasn’t snowing that night, but Jiyong was only wearing two layers of clothes, and he wasn’t wearing any winter jackets at all so he felt a little cold. He turns his head around in the direction of the empty playground and started imagining how nice it would be to play among other children in daytime. It was at that time the streetlamps started flickering its lights.

Other boys his age might have been scared being unaccompanied, but Jiyong was far more comfortable being alone, more willingly than being with his sister or any of his family members who treated him like a child from another planet. But it was Jiyong’s first time being alone this late hour, and now the flickering lights seem to be increasing his anxiousness.

Jiyong stood still under the streetlamps and he lets his eyes wander around looking for any sign of movements near him. Suddenly, rumbling noises from trees behind the yellow slide started to emerge. It went on for a couple of minutes before total silence followed. Jiyong’s cold little hands starts being sweaty and he wiped it with his sweater before holding on to the nearest streetlamp. He checks his Batman wristwatch once again and it was showing the current time; 11.59PM.

He fixed his gaze on the wristwatch and when it was showing 12.00AM, a louder rumbling sound was heard and now followed by a very strong wind. Jiyong thought it was a typhoon but he never intended to take shelter in the near building, instead he stayed put behind the streetlamp he was holding on to. The swings he played with 30 minutes ago started swinging hastily by itself and he saw two dogs guarding the YG building beginning to bark loudly. The dogs’ barks were so loud that Jiyong started to feel scared. Is this the day I die? Thought Jiyong.

Suddenly a flash of lightning struck the top of the slide shocked Jiyong and brought him to his knees with both of his hands still holding on to the streetlamp.  He closed his eyes and started praying like how he was thought at his father’s church service. All of a sudden he heard a loud crashing noise and the strong wind gradually vanished.

Minutes after Jiyong finally opens his eyes and a burning object can be spotted behind the slide.  Thick smoke was fogging the area and Jiyong finally went up on both of his feet again. He lets go of the streetlamp and walks at a snail's pace headed for the burning object. He covers his mouth with one of his hands to avoid the smoke from entering his lungs and stopped right in front of the burning object.

“Anyone there?” Jiyong shouted. “Anyone?”

A head popped out of the burning object and grabbed Jiyong’s hands. Jiyong screamed at the top of his lungs when he saw a grown man’s hand grabbing on his.

“Help!” a deep voice was heard. “Help me, kid!” Jiyong stopped screaming but his eyes was still staring at the hands grabbing his. “Kid! Pull me!” the man insists.

“I’m just a kid!” Jiyong answered.

“I don’t care, the swimming pool is on fire! Help!”

“The swimming pool- what?”

“Hurry this TARDIS is gonna blow!”

“WHAT??”

“PULL ME AWAY!”

“OKAY!”

Jiyong gathered his strength and pulled the man who probably weighs three times heavier than Jiyong is. He didn’t think of what non-sensible things the man said, he wanted to just pull the man out of the burning blue box as fast as he can.

“Run!” the man said as soon as he completely went out of the blue box. The man picked up Jiyong and ran with all his might away from the burning object. Both of them took shelter in one of the building close by. He puts down Jiyong on the floor and wrapped his hands around Jiyong’s ears. The blue box finally explodes. Shocked jiyong grabs onto the man’s hands and he swears his heartbeat skipped a beat or two from what he has just witnessed.