Chapter Two

The Sinking Sun

“Unnie, I’m here!” Carol’s voice is loud and Minsung shakes her head as she hears it. She loves her American friend, but her Korean always sounds off and she is actually the older one and yet Carol insists on calling Minsung unnie. Minsung yells that she’s in her room and she hears Carol walk towards her.


Minsung stands up and grabs her bag so by the time Carol is there, they’re ready to leave. “I’m so glad you’re coming back to work, Unnie!”


“You know I’m not going back to work, Carol.” She looks up at the girl, her eyes somehow able to stare straight into the other girl’s.


“I wish you would wear sunglasses, Unnie. Your eyes are so scary.” She smiles and laughs and Minsung is sure that she didn’t mean it as an insult, but it still hurts - no one in their right mind wants to be scary. “And anyway,” Carol continues, “I was just hoping that you would have changed your mind. I am going to miss you so much! Until they find someone else it’ll just be Seungyeon and he’s so creepy, Unnie! He keeps saying things in Korean that I hope I’m not understanding right because if I am, ew!”


Minsung smiles and pats her friend’s hand. “They’ll hire someone else and I’m sure they’ll be much better than I and you’ll get along with them great and forget about me in a week. I can’t risk messing something up because I can’t see.”


Carol pouts, looking down at her friend even though she can’t see her. “You’re so stubborn, Unnie. What are you going to do all day long then? Just sit around and wait for Jay to come home? You two aren’t even dating! Which I don’t know how you can stop yourself from dating him, but that’s another story. I just want you to be happy, Unnie.”


“I am happy,” Minsung lies, even though she knows how much of a lie it sounds like. The two of them know it’s a lie. It wasn’t as if losing her sight suddenly just made her sad or anything like that, although it sure didn’t help. Minsung knows she’s been happy, but sometimes - even before the accident - she would forget what it felt like to be happy.


But Minsung does not want to talk or think about this, so she starts up a new conversation with Carol about the new group EXO, which Carol responds quickly in a mixture of Korean and English. She mostly talks about Kai and how he totally is Taemin’s twin and how much she’s in love with him and Minsung has to remind her that she’s twenty-three and he’s just legal. Carol pouts some more but laughs all the same. Who cares if she crushes on a boy younger than her?


“He can sing Noona Neomu Yeppo and everything we just work out okay.”


“That would mean he would have to find you pretty in the first place, Carol!” Minsung retorts back, grinning.


Carol just laughs and says, “No one can resist my American charms. That boy will love me before he even knows it!” Carol is grinning widely and they’ve finally reached the main SM building. Carol leaps a bit ahead, opening doors for Minsung and then leading her to the elevator.


“I’ll lead you up to President Lee’s office, but then I’ve got to go get some work done. I’ll be a few hours and then you and I can go out for lunch? I’m sure you’ll want to say goodbye to some people anyway.”


Minsung nods. She hadn’t really thought about saying goodbye to anyone, but the thought of not doing it now feels wrong. It’s not like she’s really close to any of the idols or any other workers other than Carol, but there were some that she was going to miss. The thought of never see Taemin running up to her, yelling Noona! and hugging her makes her sad. He was cuter than anyone else she had ever met - and that includes babies.


As the elevator goes up, Minsung rehearses in her head what she’s going to say - a bunch of praise for the company and her other coworkers, how much she loves the company and how sad she is to leave. It’s all true, although she knows she’ll be just a bit over dramatic because President Lee is a fan of dramatics - as long as they aren’t scandals from the idols.


“I’ll see you later,” Carol says as she drops her off at the President’s office. Minsung can still picture what it looks like - the President in his chair, in front of his computer, surrounded by glass instead of plaster or wood. If she could see, she could see the exact look on his face, but instead only he can see hers and Minsung does her best to give him the best look she can.





The meeting doesn’t take long and President Lee speaks very little, mostly to tell her that he is sorry and that she will be missed. He tells her to expect a bonus in her last paycheck, which she thanks him for greatly. She’s tried not to think about it, but Minsung really isn’t sure how she’s going to get by without a job.


And then she’s dismissed and Minsung slowly walks out of the room, her hand against the glass, knowing that she’s leaving her fingerprints there, smudging the hell out of the room, but in a way, she likes the thought. There will now be a part of her in the room. Or, at least, there will be until someone washes the glass.


Minsung just realizes that she really doesn’t know where she’s going and how she’s going to get around the building. Although she’s been inside many times, for the most part she’s always just stayed on her floor and occasionally would venture to others to see watch dance practices, but that was it.


As she’s walking, thankfully she hears a loud, “Noona!” and feels a boy latching on her stomach from behind. Minsung doesn’t need eyes to know who it is.


“Taemin-ah! What are you doing up here? Did you know I was going to be here? Have you come to rescue me?” Minsung realizes that her over dramatics with President Lee must have continued even then, but she doesn’t mind. It’s fun being a bit crazy with Taemin - he was like the younger brother she always wished she had.


“Oh no, Noona, I had to talk to President Lee and then I saw you come up so I thought I’d wait until you were done talking with him. It’s funny because you can see everything that’s going on from outside, but you can’t hear a thing. Is everything all right, Minsung Noona?”


Minsung nods, not wanting to tell just Taemin by himself. It’ll be easier if she tells all the SHINee boys at once. She was definitely most close to them in comparison to the other idol groups. Minsung’s not sure what it was, but the boys just loved her and she loved them - maybe because she had been with them almost since their debut - as if she was almost a part of making them happen.


“Are all the other boys here? I haven’t talked to you all in so long and it would be really nice to say hello to everyone.”


Taemin nods and then catches himself and says, “Yes, Noona. Let’s go see them. Jinki Hyung keeps talking about you and how much he misses seeing you smile. Isn’t that funny, Noona? And you know, he calls you Noona, too, even though you’re the same age. Hyung is strange, isn’t he?”


Minsung smiles as Taemin talks, the sound of his voice so soothing to her. She doesn’t say much in reply, just listens to her dongsaeng speak to her and tell her things, catching her up on the activities that SHINee has been a part of. When Taemin mentions the new group, Minsung interjects and says:


“Carol was telling me that there’s some new boy named Kai and he’s basically your twin. Is that true? Do you have a twin that you didn’t tell me about? Will I now have two of you following me around?”


Taemin laughs, his mouth wide and his voice loud. “He’s not my twin, Noona. I think Carol Noona is a bit crazy. She’s always following him around, though, so it he followed you, there would be a train of people!”


Minsung grins at the thought. Taemin lets go off her suddenly, pushing open a door and saying, “Here we are! We’re having dance practice right now. Jinki Hyung keeps tripping over his own feet and Kibum Hyung was complaining about something when I was here last and where’s Minho?”


“He had to go and get something to eat for Key so that he would stop complaining,” Jonghyun says and then turns his attention to Minsung. “Hi Noona! I didn’t know that you were going to stop by. It’s so nice to see you, though. How are you feeling?”


Minsung puts a small smile on her face, looking the direction of Jonghyun’s voice. “I’m doing fine, thank you. But who knew how tiring it would be to lie around the house all day!”


The door opens behind them and Minsung turns around and hears Minho yell a very, very loud, “Noona!” Minsung wondered what it was about this group of boys and them yelling out the word noona. Maybe because of the song. At least they weren’t singing about how pretty she is.


“My Min twin!” Minsung calls out, turning and walking towards what she hopes is Minho. The boy reaches her first, tapping her shoulder on the side. He hugs her and smiles into the top of her head.


“It’s a good thing you’re here. If you hadn’t come, I don’t know how I would be able to tell Key that they were out of his candy.”


“What!” Kibum yells from the other side of the room. That boy has some good hearing, Minsung thinks. “I guess it’s okay, though,” he says, “now that I get to see Minsung.”


Minsung smiles. She should be annoyed at the boy’s lack of honorifics, but she really doesn’t mind. It’s kind of a nice break from everyone else’s calling.


“Now that you’re back Minho,” Minsung says, finding her voice small, scared, unsure, “there’s something I need to tell you all. It’s not very good, but you can’t tell me you all didn’t see this coming.” Minsung pauses, surprised by her use of the word “see”. Sight words were still a bit sore for her, but she doesn’t dwell on it for long.


“Anyway, the point of it all is I’ve quit.” The room is quiet and Minsung tries to smile - as if it would fix the whole situation. She wishes she could see the looks on everyone’s faces - maybe they actually are happy to be rid on their crazy noona - although she’s not as crazy as their Carol Noona, but still.


“Noonaaaaa.” Taemin is the first to speak, his voice soft and sweet and sad. Minsung opens her arms, hoping the young boy will come and hug her, which he does.


“That’ll probably be good.” It’s Kibum speaking, which receives a loud, “Kibum!” from all the other members. Minsung just shakes her head and says, “No, it is good. I don’t want to force you all out in some horribly ugly clothes because I don’t know any better. You guys have a reputation and I’m not going to ruin it.”


As she speaks, Taemin grasps her tighter and Minsung reaches up, running her hand down his hair. She thinks it must look odd, but she always loves it when Jay does it to her. Minsung almost expects Taemin to start purring or something, but the boy is totally silent - as is everyone else.


Eventually Taemin lets go and Minsung turns her head around the room, hoping she’s faced all the boys. “I’m so, so sad to be leaving all of you. You guys have always been my favourite. You all better keep making the best music or I will come after all of you. And practice your dancing, Taemin, all right? I’ll talk to Jay and make him tell me how you’re doing.”


Minsung tells herself not to cry. She can’t allow herself to cry in front of her dongsaengs - especially Taemin. She doesn’t want him to see how sad this all makes her. But that’s the thing, though. She is sad. Sadder than she can imagine anyone ever being.


So she smiles, nice and wide, and tries to laugh, but it sounds odd in her ears. She then clears and says, “Is only Taemin going to hug me? C’mon, the rest of you better get over here.” Minsung listens as the other boys get up and come towards her.


The first to hug her is Jonghyun, who says he’ll miss her, which Minsung simply nods to, reaching up and touching the boy’s face. He really is so attractive and Minsung pictures his face, always shining, beautiful, and she smiles.


Kibum is next and he apologizes for what he said, but Minsung only laughs and says, “You were right.” She hugs him extra tight, though. The boy is such a diva, but she does love him.


Minho’s hug is strong and seems to last forever. Minsung feels as if she could melt into the younger boy. Neither of them have anything to say, so they just stand there, holding each other until Jinki pulls Minho away and places himself in Minsung’s arms.


“Noona, do you remember that you told me you’d use your magical powers to get Taeyeon to go out with me? How are you going to do that if you’re gone?” Jinki speaks in such a whisper that Minsung is sure the other boys don’t know about their leader’s crush on his fellow leader.


“I’m magic, Jinki, I can help you no matter where I am. Is Taeyeon here? I can talk to you for her.”


Jinki shakes his head. “No, only Hyoyeon Noona is here, everyone else is taking time off, but Hyo is in the next practice room with Eunhyuk Hyung. I swear the two of them are always dancing together. If any people in SM need to go out, it’s them.”


“Hyoyeon will never do anything about it, though,” Minsung laments, a small frown on her face. “Which is sad because she is the sweetest member of SNSD..” Minsung lets out a sigh and then turns her attention back to Jinki. “Anyway, though, I will be sure to figure out something with you and your problem.” Minsung winks and Jinki smiles at her.


“So Noona,” Taemin calls out, “is there anyone else you want to talk to? Are you close to anyone else?”


Minsung tilts her head to the left, thinking. There really isn’t anyone she very close to. She’s hung out with Luna a few times and Victoria and Liyin tried once to teach her Chinese. She’s never be close to anyone in SNSD - Jessica even hated her, but that was another, long story.


“You were close to Heechul Hyung, weren’t you?” Minho asks her and Minsung nods.


“I was, yeah. I’m glad I was able to say goodbye to him before he went to the army. I have the hardest time imagining him in the army. He’s such a diva. It’s like picturing Kibum in the army. Crazy stuff.”


“Yah!” Kibum yells, but the other boys are laughing.


“I guess I really don’t have anyone else to talk to,” Minsung eventually says. It’s kind of saddening that she works - worked - in such a large company and yet there is almost no one for her to say goodbye to. Anyone else she talks to might be sad she’s leaving, but it really won’t matter to them. And Minsung understands that, but it makes her a bit sad all the same.


“Well I guess I need to say goodbye to Seungyeon. He’ll probably come after me if I don’t. Would one of you mind leading me there? You would think I would know my way around this building, but I really don’t.” Minsung smiles; her voice is light and free.


“I’d be happy to, Noona,” Taemin sings, leaping over towards her. He grabs her arm and starts to lead her out. “I’ll be back soon,” he says to his hyungs, turning his face around to face them.


“Bye Noona!” Jinki calls and then Minho adds, “You better come back and see us or else!”


Minsung calls out, “Of course!” as the two of them walk out of the room. Minsung is always surprised at how strong Taemin is. He looks so small and weak, but the boy has such a strong grip on the girl’s arm.


They don’t talk much as they walk. Taemin will point out different people in the rooms they walk past, but they don’t actually run into anyone, which is fine by her. They go down the elevator, down four floors and step out. Taemin leads her just a bit more before they reach the stylist’s room.


Stepping inside, Minsung can’t help but smile. The place smells of American candy and kimchee - which has always been the oddest combination, yet has always been one Minsung loved nonetheless.


“Minsung-ah!” Seungyeon yelps and smiles. “It’s a good thing you stopped by. Carol told me you quit and you know it wouldn’t have been a good idea to ditch me.” He laughs and Minsung does as well, thinking over how scary it would be to have Seungyeon just stop over at her house.


“I came here to see Carol, not you,” Minsung tells him with a smile. Seungyeon rolls his eyes and wishes Minsung could see his annoyance. He really never was a fan of her humor, or, honestly, much humor at all.  However, he has always had a soft spot for the girl. She was hired a year after him and he had been in charge of training her.


“Where is she anyway? I don’t hear her.”


“How am I supposed to know?” Seungyeon asks and then turns his head back down to the magazine he’s looking through. He’s in charge of the new groups’ debut looks and he still has no idea what to do with them and he wants to ask Minsung - she’s always been the most creative of the three, but she hasn’t been to work in about two months and he doesn’t really know how she could help.


“Minsung! You’re early!” Minsung turns around to the sound of the voice and the sound of Carol walking in. “I’m almost done. I ran into Kai and I thought maybe he could help you out with some ideas, Seungyeon?” Carol is smiling as Kai slips out from behind her and smiles.


“Taemin Sunbae!” Taemin looks up and smiles at Kai. He loves the feeling of being someone’s sunbae, as he’s so used to being the youngest out there.


“And you must be Minsung Noona, right?” Minsung is surprised at the sound of the boy saying her name. He sounds so cute! Minsung just pictures another Taemin in front of her and smiles.


“How did you know my name?” she asks, and then realizes the answer. “Taemin, of course. Or wait, was it Carol? If Taemin told you anything about me, it’s all true. If Carol told you anything, it’s all a lie, you got that?”


Kai laughs and Minsung can’t help but find that cute, too. She understands how Carol has fallen under the young boy’s spell - and she can’t even see his face! “It’s all been good things, Noona. Taemin says you're the best Noona he has.”


Minsung can’t help but shake her head. “Taemin is a bit biased because of my talent to make him look so nice. His SNSD Noonas are all so much better than me. And I guess Carol isn’t too bad either.”


“Yah! I am the best~” Carol says, trying her best to sound like 2NE1, which does not go over well. Kai shakes his head and holds out his hand for Minsung to take, which she doesn’t until Carol reaches for her arm and brings into into contact with Kai’s.


“Sorry,” Minsung mumbles. “I’m not completely used to the whole blind thing and whatnot, so I’m a bit useless.”


“Noona, you’re not useless!” Minsung can’t help but grin at the sound of Taemin’s voice. He makes it near impossible for her to feel bad. She really is going to miss the boy so much.


It’s silent for a bit until Seungyeon calls Kai over to talk to him. “Let me just grab some stuff, Unnie, and then we can head out for lunch. Seungyeon is demanding that we go and get sushi so that I can bring some back for him because he’s too lazy to go out and get this own food.”


“I’m not lazy! You’re the one that asked for a double lunch and so this makes up for it,” Seungyeon defends himself, looking up from his magazine again.


“Anyway,” Carol mutters in English, “I’ll just be a minute.”


“I should probably go back and get dancing. As I said before, Jinki Hyung keeps falling down all the time and it’s all just a mess. I’ll see you later, okay? Be sure to stop by lots!” Taemin hugs her lightly and then turns his attention to the two boys. “I’ll see you later, Jongin-ah, Seungyeon Hyung.”


Minsung hears him walk off and the door close behind him. Minsung feels her body stiffen as she stands there. She’s never been comfortable alone with Seungyeon and she doesn’t know Kai well enough to really feel comfortable around him - and she’ll probably never spend enough time with him to feel comfortable. And that’s fine in the long run, but right now Minsung just wants Carol to come back.


When Carol comes back, Minsung is pulling her out of the room as fast she can. Carol sings a goodbye to Kai and says nothing to Seungyeon. Before Minsung can walk into the wall, Carol takes control and walks them out of the room and down the hall. Before Minsung knows it, they’re on the ground floor, leaving the building.


Carol is trying to walk fast, but Minsung is moving as slowly as she can, trying to take in all the feelings of the building. It smells so clean and fresh and lovely. Minsung pictures the floors she walking on, the walls, the posters that are hanging from the ceiling. She doesn’t want to leave. Minsung wants to run back upstairs and hide away in SHINee’s practice room. They’ll take care of her and make sure she’s okay, right?


Minsung hates the thought of going back to her apartment and sitting there, waiting for Jay to come, waiting for him so that they can just sit there together. Minsung hates everything. She stops moving, almost causing Carol to fall backwards onto her. Minsung is trying to take nice big breaths, to calm her down, but it’s not working. She’s scared and sad and lonely, even with one of her best friends next to her.


And the thought hits her - she’s always going to feel lonely. She’s always going to be sad. She’ll never feel anything else, will she? And Minsung feels stupid for feeling this way. She knows there are good things and there are so many great things that will make her happy. She knows it and yet she feels her heart breaking and Carol grabs her hand and pulls her out of the building Minsung loves.