Lunch

Memoirs of a Queenka.

 

 
I was still shaking when the waitress came to take our orders. We ordered some simple dishes: stir fry pork chop, roasted duck, clay pot mushrooms and rice wine.  
 
"Hyuna yah, are you okay?" G.Na furrowed her brows and stared at me worryingly.
 
I glanced at my own reflection on my phone screen. My face had turned a chalky shade of white, making my trembling lips look redder. I smacked my lips together and straightened my back, trying to keep myself looking as composed as possible. 
 
Soon, the food was served. All four of us huddled close, popping food into our mouth. Everyone was talking. G.Na started laughing about the 3 out of 100 marks she got for Maths, and then the conversation steered on to Sooyoung's new boyfriend.
 
Girls are like that. Gossiping is a major part of their lives. 
 
I wasn't much of a talker, so I continued eating and gave suitable responses and comments to whatever they said. All three of them had gotten used to my silence, but they were never willing to let me off the hook. 
 
"Kim Hyuna! Let's talk about your thoughts~ what if Park Jiyeon really became your younger sister-in-law?" G.Na slammed her chopsticks on the marble table, obviously a little drunk.
I
laughed dryly and stuffed a piece of pork chop into my mouth. "Thoughts? There's no need for thoughts. I broke them up already, didn't I?" I threw her a half-smirk, chewing my food slowly. 
 
"Pfft, you have no thoughts? Yah! Kim Hyuna! Did you see your own face when you found out that Park Jiyeon is actually Park Jimin's sister?! I swear, that expression was priceless!" G.Na clapped her hands with a hint of sarcasm. 
 
"It's not only Hyuna, we were all shocked too, how much of a coincidence is this? How did Kim Him Chan get his sister's boyfriend's ex-girlfriend's younger sister to be his girlfriend? It's like a drama!"Hyomin chipped in, bits and pieces of vegetable coming out of . 
 
"Isn't it obvious enough? It's no wonder Him Chan will fall for a pretty girl like Jiyeon. Men are all visual-hungry beasts. She looks just like her sister, doll-faced and all. To think about it, if Jimin didn't dump Daehyun, he wouldn't have come looking for Hyuna, right? You guys know how people judge Hyuna and Daehyun. We all hear that everyday, they don't match AT ALL. Everybody knows that. Hyuna is the famous bad student, but Daehyun? He's the top and most soft spoken student in school! Look at him, he has those perfect facial features any girl would die for, and brains and all. Him and Jimin would just be the perfect couple." Sooyoung finally spoke, with and edge of mockery in her tone. 
 
I smiled, gripping the chopstick in my hand tightly until my knuckles turned white. 
 
"That Jimin's mad to throw away such a perfect boyfriend. Half a year after they broke up, she was diagnosed with leukaemia, I honestly don't know what to feel for her. And Daehyun, that boy was insane to come chasing after Hyuna right after they broke up. Seriously? Even if you were hurt in a relationship doesn't mean you'll have to look for someone with a character totally opposite of yours. That's mental. Don't get angry, Hyuna. We're stating the facts. What's gotten into you anyway, to accept him? At first we thought you were just fooling around, but it's been half a year since you two got together. Are you being serious in this relationship?" G.Na question struck me hard. 
 
Honestly, I didn't know. This has been the question I had avoided forever. 
 
I brought the ceramic wine cup to my mouth and gulped down everything in one shot. 
"Actually I'm as confused as all of you. I don't know why I had accepted Daehyun, and I don't know why Jimin dumped Daehyun. He didn't tell me. And I didn't ask. In this 6 months we've been together, it was obvious to me that Daehyun isn't that type of guy you would just dump randomly. Look, this bookbag I'm using was bought by him, and he is clear of what all of us like and dislike. He even knows you guys inside out better than me. Isn't that good?
 
"It was just a typical day when a guy confesses to a girl for me. I've never been in a relationship before, and when this perfect guy comes along, I couldn't find an excuse to reject him, so I accepted him. Daehyun's really nice. I've gotten used to how well he treats me, and I don't know if I want this to end. For such a perfect guy to be my first love, I am the luckiest girl in the world. But if someday he decides to break up with me, I'll agree with him. We always have to wake up from our dreams, whether it's a good or bad dream, right? Let's stop talking and start eating. I'm hungry." I waved my chopsticks at them and shut my mouth. The Kim Hyuna sign language: end of conversation. 
 
They weren't satisfied. "You forced Jiyeon to break up with Him Chan, is it because of Jimin?" Hyomin asked timidly. 
 
I patted her head and took a swig of wine. "Do I look like someone who is so selfish to you? I've never really met or talked to Jimin, why would I destroy her sister's happiness because of her? It's all because of that illness. What if it's genetic? My parents will never accept someone like that. What if Jiyeon had it too? You'd never know. It's for their own good. It's for my brother's good. I don't want him to regret the whole of his life."
 
Everybody at the table laughed. 
 
"I didn't know you loved your brother so much," G.Na was doubling over. 
 
Seriously? I have a good side of me when it comes to my brother okay. 
 
"Of course!" I scoffed. 
 
"Then have you ever thought about Daehyun? Will your parents accept him?" Hyomin asked. 
I gave her a withering look. 
 
"Look at his qualities. My parents wouldn't even say a word if someday he decides to kidnap me." I joked. 
 
"I think the problem lies with whether Daehyun's parents are willing to accept Hyuna," Sooyoung jeered. 
God, they have to be so hurtful sometimes. I cringed inwardly at her comment. Sooyoung ah, you really want me dead don't you. 
 
"I bet you won't last that long," she added, stuffing a piece of mushroom lazily into . 
 
"Eishh. Do you have to be so mean?" I pouted. 
 
 
We finished our meal and started walking back to the dormitory shared by Hyomin's and our university. It was already night. 
 
"Hyuna yah, do you think your brother will be upset?" G.Na placed her arm around my shoulders. 
 
"What do you think?" I lifted an eyebrow. 
 
"Him Chan doesn't seem like one who would create trouble," Hyomin said softly. 
 
"Who knows?" G.Na shrugged. 
 
I looked up at the sky. There were so many stars. It might rain tomorrow. 
_______________________
I'm sorry if this chapter is so long and boring and confusingTT haha it explains stuff so I have no choice >< something interesting is coming up...:) thanks to all my lovely subbies and my new subbies^^ please comment okay? I wanna know what you guys think about this fic:3 much loves!<3 ppyong~