Chapter 2

Walkin'

The school bell rang, indicating that school was dismissed. I heaved a big sigh of relief. I really hated how the school has stuck up and kissing teachers like today I raised my eyebrow at  my Math teacher who imperiously shooed one of my classmates away, before kissing the principal's when he passed by.

It  disgusted me like hell.

 

But I wasn't going to let that get to me, like I didn't even know why I cared. I grabbed my bag to my shoulder and stood to go out. When I was walking towards the school gates, I saw a dark figure just a mile in front of me. I blinked a couple of times to see if I was seeing right, but then I didn't see the dark figure .

I shrugged it off, thinking it was my imagination again. I continued walking out while humming a solemn tune.

 

" I wonder if mom and dad are home.." I whispered. Even though they don't really care about me, I still have a bit of hope that they could come home.At least just once.

 

Like this morning, I was thinking of taking the shortcut a.k.a the alley on the way home. I smiled a little at the thought, for the alley was the only thing I ever looked forward to.

I kinda walked a little faster than usual so that I could quickly arrive there and about 5 minutes later, I did.

 

Since I was dismissed a little later than usual, it was a bit darker evening when I walked to the alley.Not that I don't mind, in fact I liked it even more. Again, I walked a little slower going through so I could admire the features and its eerie aura .If people saw me right now, they would think I'm cynical, sadistic and freaky like the alley itself.

I looked at my watch to check the time. I hummed *It wouldn't hurt mom and dad if I just stayed a little longer* I slowly let go of my bag strap and placed it beside the trash can near me.

 

I looked over to my left then right to make sure there's no one else but me.I sat down between a lamp post and a pile of old clothing. The stench of the dirty clothes startled me* Okay, weird smell* I furrowed my eyebrows in disgust.So I moved away from the pile of clothes and scooted nearer to the lamp post.

It's light was dim, every now and then it would flicker a little but I don't mind. I just stayed seated next to the lamp post and looked around. It was all pitch black, I couldn't see anything else other than the things the lamp post lighted on.

 

Although I felt I shouldn't be doing this, I just couldn't get away from this place.It describes me, dark and misunderstood. The thought of comparing an alley to myself bothered me a little bit but before I could think any further, I heard a sound of a shoe brushing the ground.

It alerted me, but I wasn't scared.I put on my best composured face and waited for other sounds to come.

 

Soon enough, I heard some footsteps indicating that the owner of the shoes is coming.The footsteps turned louder and louder, but I was still glued to the cold hard ground to run away.

My thoughts ran wild, but I kept my composure and waited for the stranger.He or she walked slowly towards my direction. I can hear it. I can hear his soft and slow footsteps getting louder and before I knew it, I saw a pair of shiny black shoes shining under the dim light .

I looked up to see his silhouette under the light. From his silhouette, he has slightly messy hair and I can tell he's a male.I tilted my head, and he also tilted his head the same way.I chuckled silently at how he copied me.

*But wait, isn't he just a stranger?*I thought then I looked at him again. *Well, it's quite nice to have someone besides myself in the alley* I nodded as if to say it's okay.He then pointed to the space besides me as if he's asking to sit next to me. I hesitantly nodded, but I kept my distance.

He seemed to have seen my discomfort, so he backed away a little. I waved my hand to say it's okay, so he went forward again before sitting next to me by a few inches.

Since I couldn't clearly see his face, I asked quietly" Can I see what  you look like?"

I heard him chuckle a little, then he went closer to the light to show his face more clearly. I examined his features, he has a sharp nose, slanty eyes and plump lips and I admit that he is handsome.

We stared at each other for quite a while, no words exchanged. I blinked sleepily as I stopped staring at him and I realized that I stayed way longer than I should've been.

I stood up to go, but my wrist was held back. I looked back and saw his eyes, pleading me not to go.I mouthed "I'm sorry" then I shook off his hand and I grabbed my bag to go. 

I didn't dare look back again because for the first time, I felt this mysterious feeling in my gut but I can't tell if it's good or not. I shook off the confusion in my head and walked away.