Chapter 2

The Bassist and the Geek

"Whoah whoah, Reita, hold up.", said Ruki, his hand on Akira's mouth to make him shut up. "Slow down dude. I can hardly understand what you're saying." Akira took a deep breath as Ruki removed his hand. Aoi, Kai, and Uruha were looking at Akira as if he'd gone nuts.

"Now...", said Ruki, "start over. You got new neighbors?"

"Yeah", Akira nodded, "in the house on the corner. The one that the old couple used to live in before they moved into a retirement home."

"There must be a hot girl living there or he wouldn't be making a big deal out of having new neighbors.", said Aoi.

"I never said she was hot!"

"Ahh, but there is a girl, right?", Aoi said with a smirk. The others soon grew smirks of their own.

"Is she hot Reita?", asked Ruki.

"I don't know if I'd say she's hot, but she IS beautiful. Perfect porcelain skin, dark chocolate eyes you just can't help but get lost in, and her smile!"

Suddenly the others start to chuckle, covering their mouths to make it seem like they're not laughing.

"What's so funny?"

"Dude you're in love with your neighbor.", chuckled Kai.

"What?! No I'm not! I just met her!"

"Then explain that huge grin on your face.", smirked Uruha.

Later that night, Akira returned home. He felt slightly aggitated with his bandmates; constantly teasing him about being in love with Jae Na. That's rediculous. Absurd! He just met her! How could he be in love? He walked in the door and found the house eerily quiet. He hated coming home to an empty house. He the hallway light to guide his way upstairs and headed to his room. He sat his bass in its spot against his dresser and plopped down on his bed. He was half tempted to just forget about dinner and just go to sleep until he heard a faint whisper from outside his window.

"Psst. Kira?"

"Nana?", he mumbled to himself, getting out of bed and going to his window. "Hey you.", he smiled.

"Where have you been?"

Akira chuckled. "I have band practice every day after school."

"Band pract- You're in a band?! That's awesome! But....what about you're mom? Where is she?"

"Working. She's a nurse and works third shift so I always come home to an empty house."

"Awe man that must be tough."

"Yeah it is. She wants to switch shifts, but none of the other nurses are willing to work third shift. So she's kinda stuck."

"Awe I'm sorry Akira."

"It's ok. It's only 4 nights out of the week. I'm use to it. What about you? How come you're hiding out in your room instead of spending time with your family?"

She giggled. "Tonight is date night for my parents. They pick one day out of every month to go out on a special date, to give them some time to themselves. So Suke and I plan a brother/sister night on the same night. He's downstairs making dinner."

"Your brother cooks?"

Jae Na nodded. "We all do. I wanted to help, but he insisted on doing it himself. He won't even tell me what he's making!"

"JA NA! IT'S READY!"

"Be down in a minute Suke!", she yelled before turning her attention back to Akira and smiled. "I'll see you later ok?"

"Ok", he chuckled, smiling bright as she giggled and winked at him before leaving. Perhaps the guys were on to something. Maybe he was falling for her. Does that make him crazy?

Stop it Jae Na! Stop it right now. You don't love him! Sure he's a total hunk, and his smile makes you go weak in the knees, but you do NOT love Akira!

When Jae Na walked into the kitchen, Ryosuke was dishing out their plates. She gasped when she saw what her little brother had made.

"Lasagna!"

Ryosuke turned around and gave his sister a soft smile. "Yep, with the works, just like you like it."

"Suke! You stop spoiling me right now! That's my job!"

Ryosuke chuckled. "How's that your job?"

"I'm the older sibling!"

He laughed. "You're cute sis. Now sit down and eat."

Jae Na puffed out her cheeks and slumped down in her seat. It didn't take long for Ryosuke to realize that something was bothering Jae Na. She always had something to talk about, but they had been sitting in silence for over five minutes.

"What's wrong Jae?"

"Hm?", she looked up at her brother, trying to make it look like nothing was bothering her.

"Jae, you haven't said a word since you sat down and you've hardly touched your lasagna, which isn't like you at all. So what's wrong?"

"It's nothing."

"Jae Na, I'm your brother, and I know you better than anyone else in the world. What's wrong?", he asked, a bit more stern.

"It's about Akira."

"You mean the neighbor boy you have a crush on?", Ryosuke grinned.

"I do not!"

"Yeah, ok...what about him?"

"Nothing...just...I feel bad because he's all by himself tonight."

Ryosuke smiled. "Invite him over."

"Oh Suke, I couldn't do that. What about our brother/sister night?"

"It won't be the last Jae. Go ahead. Invite him over."

Jae Na smiled and rushed upstairs.

Akira had just gotten out of the shower and was about to go downstairs to find something quick to shut his growling stomach up, when he heard Jae Na's voice.

"Kira?"

He walked over to the window and sat in his chair. "You done eating already?"

Jae Na had to do everything in her power not to stare at Akira's exposed torso. "Uh...uhm no. Uh..", she giggled. "Suke wanted me to invite you over since you're by yourself."

"He did?", Akira asked, droplets of water still dripping from his hair. "I thought you two were going to have some bonding time."

"Suke insists you join us. Please Kira. He made Lasagna. Have you ever had that?"

Akira nodded. "A long time ago when my family took a vacation to America."

Jae Na smiled. "Well then come join us! Please?"

Akira chuckled. "Ok Nana ok. Let me get a shirt on."

Please do. We don't need to give Ryosuke more proof that I'm crushing on you.

Once Akira left his room, Jae Na sprinted to the front door, waiting for Akira on the porch. A couple minutes later, he came walking around the corner. He was so tall and handsome; and judging by the muscles on his arms, his toned pecs and delicious looking abs he exposed to her just a few moments ago, he was also very strong.

Could there possibly be anything else about this man that would make her even more attracted to him?

As Akira got closer to Jae Na's house, he couldn't help but notice how well her red dress fit her in all the right places. He couldn't understand why the other girls at school picked on her. Jae Na is beautiful and has a very good fashion sense, which is necessary, Akira assumed, for anyone wanting to go into fashion. Perhaps they hated her because she was far prettier than the other girls, and a hell of a lot smarter.

"Hey.", said Jae Na with a shy smile.

"What is this? We've been friends for weeks now. Quit being so shy."

She giggled. "Sorry.", she said, taking his hand and leading him inside.

Even though they had been close friends for almost a month, they had never been in eachother's homes. So, naturally, when Akira stepped foot into the house and saw all the lavish furnishing and decorative lighting, his mouth dropped.

"Your house is so fancy!"

"Mom and Jae Na picked everything out.", said Ryosuke, who was walking into the living room from the dining room.

Akira flashed Jae Na a smile before turning back to her brother and bowing. "Thank you for inviting me over for dinner."

"No need to thank me. I can't imagine how lonely it must feel to be by yourself all the time. And please you don't have to bow. You're Jae's friend."

Akira chuckled. "Ok."

Ryosuke smiled and held out his hand. "Miura Ryosuke, Jae Na's younger brother. It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

"Suzuki Akira.", he said as he shook Ryosuke's hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you as well."