Chapter 1

The Bassist and the Geek

The Miura home was quiet. Jae Na and Ryosuke's parents sat quietly in the kitchen, both sipping a cup of hot tea. They had just recently moved to Japan from Korea because of their father's job. The school year was almost over, with only a couple months left til summer vacation. But the Miura's knew that both their children would finish off well. Both Jae Na and Ryosuke were naturally smart. Neither of them ever seemed to spend very long while studying, but they always got good grades. But academics weren't the only things they excelled at. Ryosuke is very athletic and was in drama and sang at their school in Korea, and Jae Nae played piano and sang as well and is extremely artistic.

"The kids should be home from school soon, right?"

"They should be walking through the door any minute now."

Not even a minute later, a loud bang echoes through the house.

"What the hell?" Both of their parents jump out of their seats and run towards the front door. When they reach the living room and peak out into the tiny foyer, they stare in confusion as they watch Jae Na bolt up the stairs, her brother Ryosuke struggling to get his shoes off.

"Jae!", Ryosuke yells as he finally gets his shoe off and tosses it by the door before running up the stairs. "Jae?!", he pants heavily at the top of the stairs. He sighed as he walked towards Jae Na's closed bedroom door, not hesitating to open the door and walk in. Jae Na was stretched out on her bed crying. "Jae Na..."

"Leave me alone Suke.", she sobbed into her pillow. Ryosuke closed his sister's door and climbed onto her bed, cuddling up to her as he has done many times before. Being only a little over a year apart, Ryosuke and Jae Na were extremely close. They did almost everything together, and often cuddled with eachother when one of them was upset.

Jae Na sighed the instant Ryosuke laid on the bed. "Dammit Suke I said-"

"I know what you said Jae. You really think I would listen?"

Jae Na rolled her eyes. "Of course not. My stubborn little brother never listens."

"Because your stubborn little brother hates seeing his older sister upset."

Jae Na sighed in defeat and turned over towards Ryosuke and buried her face into his chest. "This isn't how I want to spend my last year in high school Suke.", Jae Na sobbed. "I'm not a freak!"

"I know you're not sis. Try not to pay so much attention to those s."

"It's not going to be easy. You're all I have at that hell hole Ryosuke, but even that doesn't matter because your new friends are just going to steal you away from me!"

"No they won't Jae Na. You're my sister. You're family. You're more important to me than them."

The room fell quiet as Jae Na silently sobbed in her brother's arms, leaving tear stains on his shirt. But soon the silence was broken by the sound of their mother yelling up the stairs that dinner was ready. 

Ryosuke smiled at his sister as he loosened his grip. "You rest. I'll bring your dinner up later."

Jae Na nodded as she let go of her brother and turned back away from the door.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple hours later, Akira, or Reita as he is called by his bandmates, arrives home from band practice.

"Mom?! I'm home!"

"Akira." His mom smiles as she walks into the living room and hugged him. "How was school?"

"ty."

"Akira!"

"Well it was! How else do you expect me to descibe having my head banged into lockers, shoved into other people, and having to pay more attention to the jerks trying to pull off my nose bandage than to what the teacher is saying?"

Akira's mother sighed as she brushed some hair from her sons face. "I wish I knew exactly what to say. I know it makes it hard that your bandmates all go to different schools."

Akira nodded. "I'm going to my room."

"You're not hungry?"

Akira shook his head. "I ate at Ruki's."

His mother nodded. "Ok dear. I'll leave you alone for a while then."

Akira smiled and gave his mother a quick peck on the cheek before running up to his room. Life was hard on his mother. A single mom with a daughter in college and a son she constantly worried about. Akira had always been bullied ever since he started covering his nose with a bandage. He hated the way his nose looked. People call him a freak for wearing his bandage, but he feels more like a freak without it.

He walked into his bedroom, stood his bass up against his dresser and tossed his bookbag on his bed.

"Hello there little bird." he heard a soft female voice say. "Do you mind if I draw you?"

Akira furrowed his brows in confusion. "Did we get new neighbors?", he whispered to himself. He hadn't been home the last few days. He had stayed at Ruki's all weekend. He wouldn't have noticed any cars either because that house was on a corner and faced the other street. Very slowly he grabbed his desk chair and sat it by the window, that way he could see her but she couldn't see him. He sat in the chair and peaked through the curtain. His mouth fell open when he saw the girl sitting in a bright green chair by her window, drawing a bird that had perched itself on her window sill.

Akira couldn't stop watching the girl. She looked so sweet and kind, someone who you would think was loved by almost everyone. But Akira could tell their was sadness in her eyes, eventhough their was a smile on her face. Suddenly the bird flew away. A tiny sigh was heard from the girl as she watched the bird disappear. And what Akira was about to do was so instictive and unconscious that his eyes widened with fear and embarrassment when he realized what he had done.

"Did you not get to finish?"

The girl gasped and looked at Akira in shock. He covered his mouth. You ing idiot.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

"I...I had no idea I was being watched."

"I'm sorry. I just heard you talking and I got curious. I saw you drawing the bird and I couldn't look away. Please don't be frightened."

"I'm not scared.", she smiled. "Just a little caught off guard."

"Forgive me for being curious about my new neighbors. I've been gone all weekend. I wasn't aware anyone had moved in until I head your voice."

Her smile became brighter. It was a beautiful smile. A contagious smile that made him instantly smile as well. "My name's Suzuki Akira. It's pleasure to meet you."

"Miura Jae Na. It's a pleasure to meet you as well."

"Jae Na? That's not a Japanese name..."

She giggled. "It's Korean."

"So you're half Korean, half Japanese?"

"Yep! So is my brother."

"Ahh you have a brother? Older or younger?"

"Ryosuke is a year and a half younger than me."

Akira nodded. "I'm a younger brother as well.", he chuckled. "Though, my sister's in college so I'm the only child left in the house."

"Just you and your mother? That must be hard sometimes without a father around."

Akira didn't answer. He just glanced down then back up at Jae Na, forcing a smile. He didn't want to admit that it killed him inside that his father wasn't around anymore.

"I'm sorry. That's a touchy subject. I'm s--"

"No, it's ok.", he smiled softly, not wanting her to feel bad.

"So...if you don't mind me asking...why are you wearing a bandage on your nose?"

Akira chuckled, looking away again.

Jae Na nervously bit her lip. "Another touchy subject?"

He shook his head. "Not really. I wear it because I hate how my nose looks."

"Awe I bet it's not that bad."

Akira scoffed. "It's hideous."

He's cute. Even with the bandage on Jae Na could tell there was nothing wrong with Akira's nose.

"Can I see your drawing?"

"It's not finished.", Jae Nae said as she held her sketchbook close to her. "There's still some details missing, and shading."

"Akira!!", his mother's voice rang out as she yelled from downstairs.

"One minute mom!", he yelled. " You think you'll have it finished by the time I get back?"

"Depends on how long you're gone."

"Knowing my mother, it'll be awhile."

She smiled. "Then it just might be finished."

"Awesome.", he said as he smiled and winked at her, running out of his room.

Jae Na couldn't wipe the smile off her face the whole time she spent finishing her drawing. She didn't know how to explain it. Akira made her feel special. Why couldn't the jerks at school treat her with the same kindness that he did?

"Is it finished?" Jae Na looked up from her drawing and saw Akira smiling at her. She silently giggled as she held up her sketchbook to show him the picture. His eyes lit up. "Jae Na...that's amazing."

She giggled, covering when she realized he had heard it. "Thank you."

"What else do you draw?"

"Pretty much everything really."

"So then I take it you want to be an artist?"

Jae Na shook her head. "Fashion Designer."

Akira was a bit surprised. "Really?"

She nodded. "Mhm. I have another sketchbook just for design ideas."

"Really? You'll have to show me someday."

Jae Na smiled and nodded, placing her sketchbook on the desk next to her. "Someday."