The Scientist

Seclusion

 

 

The Scientist - Coldplay

it's such a shame for us to part...

but tell me you love me...haunt me

 

 


 

 

Jaehwa opened her eyes, dazzled by the late morning sun shining right into her eyes. This apartment was a lot of stories lower, than the one she had been living in before; also a building was shielding she sight and the sun from shining in early.

She looked to her side, and saw a tall figure lying next to her. Jaehwa smiled slightly. It had been a good decision to move here. Also because she didn’t necessarily want her friends to know she had dumped Mingyu. They would think she was crazy for letting such a guy go. Well, the two of them have always had a thing for him anyway. Everyone else she knew didn’t live in Seoul, or she didn’t know them well enough. The person next to her did.

It was a sort of funny story on how they both met, but she remembered how amazed she was when she had seen him for the first time. In person, that is. She had been accepted into Seoul Performing Arts High School for dancing and she absolutely loved it. Already on her first day she had seen multiple celebrities and, never having met anyone and not really liking her classmates, she had sat down next to a guy sitting all alone in the cafeteria at lunchtime. Like most of the students, he was very handsome and had something she’d call an artistic aura. Still being used to the English language, she had spoken for the past years, living in the USA, she had started talking to him in that language, asking him questions about what he was here for, in what class he was, whether he was a trainee, but he hadn’t answered. She then had given up on talking and after a while he said, slowly and sort of shaky, as if he could embarrass himself in English “Sorry. I’m not good at English.”

Jaehwa had laughed a bit at her mistake and then started talking Korean to him. He was very friendly and she had found out he was in a band and a year older than him. Before she had been able to ask for his name, the bell rang and they left for class again.

Just halfway listening to the teacher during a science lesson, she had looked out of the window, watching a class during PE, when she suddenly spotted the boy she had just been talking to. He mainly was doing as little as possible, sitting down whenever he could. He was a bit lazy really, but she had seen him starting to randomly start dancing at some points and he was actually really good.

She had gotten interrupted by the bash the door made, hitting the wall when being thrown open. A boy with blue hair had run into the room and then stopped in front of the teacher. He had looked up and at the class, stopping for a moment when reaching Jaehwa at the windows. She had felt like she had seen him before somewhere.

“Mr. Choi, what exactly are you doing here, interrupting my class? If you had wanted to attend it so badly, you should have been a few hours earlier.” The teacher had said with a lot of authority in his voice and actions, which was funny, since he was a lot shorter than him.

“Sorry” so called Mr. Choi had said still out of breath while bowing, “I had a schedule to attend.”

“Then please talk to your CEO about maybe pushing those to the afternoon, so you will be able to visit school a bit more frequently.” The teacher had submitted to which the boy nodded and bowed again.

“You currently should be on the sports grounds right now. Maybe Miss Ga could show you the way there, since she hadn’t been paying attention to me anyway.” The teacher had said, looking in her direction.

“No, I…I can concentrate better to what I’m listening to if I…” She had stammered.

“Out. Show our infrequent guest the way to the dressing rooms. Considering the few times he comes here, he probably knows the way less than you, even though it’s your first day.” The teacher had commanded and a little unwillingly she had grabbed her back and walked to the front and out the door, the blue haired boy following her.

“So, Mr. Choi, you’re not here very often?” She had asked him, when he had caught up to her.

“That sounds like a very cheesy pick-up line.” He had replied. “But not really, no. I’m in a band you know.”

“I didn’t.”

“How could you not? I mean, I’m not bragging, but we won like all the rookie awards last year.” The blue haired had said, his voice getting smaller with each word, as if it was embarrassing to him.

“Sorry, I’ve just arrived here in December from the States.” Jaehwa had replied.

“So you’re good at English?” She had just shot a quick look at him, raising her eyebrows. “I just…I’m Junhong. And I’m from a band called B.A.P.” He had said. “Does Miss Ga have a first name as well?”

“Jaehwa” then they went silent for a while.

“Jae-hwa.” Junhong had slowly said after a while. “It suits you.”

“Hm?”

“Jae-hwa. Respect and beauty. You’ve been talking to me formally all this time. And you surely are beautiful.” Junhong’s cheeks turned a little red and he turned his face away, when Jaehwa had looked up at him.

“Jun-hong. Handsome and great.” Jaehwa had scrutinized him, starting at his shoes, slowly going upwards and finished tilting her head to so she was able to look at his face. “Yeah, pretty correct as well.”

They had laughed and started chatting until they reached the changing rooms.

“Oh, before you go, I’ve started talking to a guy in your class, can you greet him from me and tell him he’s a good dancer?” Jaehwa had asked, as Junhong had reached out for the doorhandle.

“Sure, what’s his name?” he had asked.

“I don’t know.”

“Then tell me something about him.”

“So, he had black hair, and bangs nearly covering his sort of sharp eyes. He wasn’t that talkative at first. He says he’s in a band, but they didn’t debut yet. He said he had some friends my age…Mingyu or so was one of their names. He said Mingyu would like me, since I am tall. And talking about height, your classmate is taller than me, but not taller than you.” Jaehwa had tried to list as many facts she remembered and found as useful.

“Hm..Jeon Wonwoo maybe.” Junhong had said. “I’ll be going then.”

“I am good at English, by the way.” Jaehwa had yelled before he had closed the door behind him.

Over the next weeks she had spent a lot of time with Junhong and Jeon Wonwoo, which turned out to have been a correct guess. They now were her best friends, though Junhong had always seemed to have a bit of a crush on her, even though she had started dating Mingyu a few months later.

It had just been natural of her to turn to Junhong first, when she had left him. Though maybe she was being a bit mean. After she had talked to Wonwoo at the club, the night of SEVENTEEN’s first concert, she had sort of wanted to revenge herself, to show him she could have an even better guy than him. And he had always been a bit jealous of Junhong anyway. So when she had returned to his apartment that night, she had cried herself out on his shoulder and even kissed him. She knew it was wrong to take advantage of him that way, but somewhere insider, she did like him in that way. But afterwards, every time he kissed her, there was still the thought Mingyu lingering in the back of her mind, though she tried to push him away as much as possible. She wanted him to be mad, she wanted him to miss her, wanted him to finally appreciate the girl she was. She wanted him to miss her. She wanted him to suffer.

The phone next to her head on the side table rang and hurriedly Jaehwa picked it up and whispered “Just a moment” into the speaker, before quickly sneaking out of the room, so she wouldn’t wake Junhong up from his sleep.

“Yes?” She still quietly asked, as she felt it was safe for her to talk without disturbing anyone.

“Jaehwa! It’s good to hear from you again.” A familiar voice said from the other end.

“Wonwoo oppa? What do you want?” She asked. She really wasn’t in the mood to hear more stories about how happy Mingyu was without her.

“So, straight to the point today? Okay. Everything is just wrong ever since you left.” Her friend’s voice stated.

“That sounds like we used to be a couple.” Jaehwa raised her eyebrows.

“Mingyu is a wreck. It’s horrible. He’s not being noisy anymore and keeps on frowning.” Wonwoo said.

“Oh really?” Jaehwa didn’t know how to feel about those news. Part of her was happy, her plan had started to work, the other was feeling sorry for him.

“He doesn’t want to hurt his pride or so, that why he still hasn’t tried to contact you. Most of the members don’t even know you moved out yet. Also I think his phone is broken.” Wonwoo told her and she decided she’d not feel sorry. Not yet.

“I think he really misses you.” He said, “Where are you staying by the way?”

“I’m with Junhong oppa now.” Jaehwa replied.

“Like, really with him?”

“Sort of, yeah.”

“I better not tell Mingyu where you are then.” Wonwoo sounded a little concerned.

“Oh it’s okay, really.” Jaehwa replied.

“No it’s not okay. As I said, he’s horrible. I think he really misses you. I got him to talk a little today, he said it was an awful feeling, knowing you won’t be there, when he comes back home.” He sounded like he was about to cry. Wonwoo had always been a little emotional.

A sort of emptiness spread in Jaehwa’s chest. She suddenly felt guilty.

“He’s been listening to your music all the time and at each concert he has sung songs for you. It’s horrible to watch him being so sad.” Wonwoo continued.

“Really?” Jaehwa asked, already making her way to the computer, so that she could search for fancams of the performances.

“I just heard him practicing Coldplay’s The Scientist with Jisoo. It’s heartbreaking.” Wonwoo said.

“Wait, I’ll just watch the performances. I’ll call you back in a few minutes, okay?” Jaehwa said, as she opened a new window to search for his fanpage.

She scrolled through it, finding a video of him singing Stay With Me on the livestream, then performing Cannonball at the concert in Seoul and tweeting about Ellie the day after. And just yesterday he had sung You’re My Safety.

Watching him sing and tearing up on stage in Tokyo also made her eyes watery. Quickly she dialed Wonwoo’s number again.

“And?” he asked.

“What do I do? I feel horrible.” She said, her voice weaker than she wanted it to be.

“Call him. Tell him it’s okay. Go back to him.”

“I can’t. He’s been a horrible boyfriend recently. And I left because I wanted him to feel…pain. I wanted him to see it was wrong what he did. It was just all too much for me. And think about Junhong! I can’t just tell him it’s over now!” Jaehwa deplored.

“If you really want him to fully regret everything he did, wait a little longer. Also, if you sort of try to stay distanced, maybe Junhong won’t mind you breaking up either then. Wait okay? It will all turn out right” Wonwoo tried to comfort her, “Sorry but I have to go now. I’ll talk to you some other time, okay?”

“Yeah, good luck for tonight.” Jaehwa said and then hung up.

She clicked on the video of Mingyu singing You’re My Safety again. He was a rapper, but singing certainly suited him as well. This song…she had heard it a thousand times. She knew every single detail. But having it come out of Mingyu’s lips was like listening to it for the first time again.

He seemed like he meant every single word, like he had written it himself. Jaehwa was really starting to feel as if she had made the wrong decision by leaving him. They had made it so often, so why not now?

When she was just about to break into tears, she heard a door opening behind her. She turned around to see Junhong sleepily walking over to her. Jaehwa didn’t want him to see her with tears in her eyes, so she turned back towards the screen to quickly wipe them away.

“Good morning, beautiful.” He huskily whispered into her ear, as he hugged her from behind.

“Good morning.” She replied, her hands reaching up to link her fingers with his. Junhong gave her a peck on the cheek and took a look at the screen I front of her.

“Isn’t that Mingyu? I thought you hated him now?” he asked.

It is. But it’s hard to hate him, when he’s like that Jaehwa thought. And she wanted to hate him so badly. Also because Junhong was such a wonderful person to her.

“Yeah, it just sort of popped up while I was watching how Wonwoo oppa was doing.” She lied.

Junhong nodded “I’ll go make breakfast then, okay?”

“Do that.” Jaehwa said with a smile. Do that, while I’ll keep worrying.

 


 

AN: First of all, thank you o so much! LIke nearly each time I logged on here since I posted the last chapter there was either a new subscriber or a new comment and I'm so so thankful for that. I hope you also liked this chapter, though it is from another point of view.