004

Heart Is Still Warm

 

.004

The next week…

 

“Taeyeon, be a good girl and do your best alright? We are always there to support you. It may be difficult as first but I’m sure you will come to enjoy it. Even though I still don’t know why you wanted such a dangerous path in your career, I’m sure it is for a good cause. Take good care of yourself alright?” Taeyeon’s mother then embraced Taeyeon into a tight hug.

 

Not wanting to show her sadness to make her mother sad, she buried her sorrow of leaving her family deep in her heart. She forced a smile and said, “Sure umma.” Her father was working in the spectacles shop and so he couldn’t bid goodbye to Taeyeon. Taeyeon’s brother and sister had also left for school early in the morning.

 

Nonetheless, she headed towards the train station for Seoul. It was a long way for her to get to the city but this career was what she has dreamed of since little. She did not have to choose between the two, she could just be both at the same time. It was a big dream come true and she couldn’t use words to describe it.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Umma, Appa, I’ll really miss you guys. When will I see you again?” A sobbing girl was hugging her parents tightly. The luggage was all set and ready to go. Only the sobbing girl wasn’t. “Jessica, it’ll be alright. We will support you all the way. Wasn’t this your dream come true? Dreams are made to be achieved, just don’t give up. We believe in you.” Her parents in turn said. “I guess so, I’ll do my best!” Jessica hugged her parents and reached for her sister, Krystal. “Krystal, take care for umma appa for me in the time being will you?” Jessica managed to put a smile on her face and hugged her little sister. “Sure, unnie.”

 

Finally, Jessica was relent to leave her parents and pulled her medium-sized luggage out of the door. The taxi driver helped her with the luggage and loaded it into the boot. Jessica waved a final goodbye to her parents and sister before reaching for the door and sat in, facing the front. “Ahjussi, 508 Apgujeong-dong, Gangnam please.” The taxi driver nodded and stepped on the acceleration pedal.

 

As she was on the way to her destination, her mind was in thoughts of what happened back last week…

 

*Flashback*

 

“Jessica, you are home finally. We were waiting for you.” A deep voice of a man could be heard just as she stepped home. “Waiting for me? Why?” Jessica curiously asked. “Why don’t you start telling us that the company of yours, isn’t just a company that sells albums and promote music?” The tone was a serious one and Jessica definitely wasn’t expecting it coming. Jessica glanced towards the direction of Krystal and saw Krystal frantically waving her hands denying that she had told her parents about it.

 

“Jessica, your company called earlier today when you were at the general briefing to get our consent for you to join the group. Mr Lee Soo Man told us that you are actually training to be both a singer and secret agent? You must have suffered a lot haven’t you? And we can’t actually believe we let Krystal to join in too! Why did you two keep mum about it? We are your parents for goodness sake! Do you really like what you are aiming for right now? What if you got hurt? What if we can never see you again? Oh my… I can’t believe they only ask for our consent at the last minute! What if our Jessica didn’t want to do it from the start?” Jessica’s mother ranted.

 

“Umma, since you know that already,” Jessica hesitated about what to say next. “Actually, Krystal and I were really happy we get the chance to help in the society and we really like, no, love what we are doing. The company actually asked for our consent when we were both casted. I hope you support us, umma. Sorry for not telling you two earlier because we didn’t want you to be worried and try to stop us for aiming for our goals…” Jessica confessed.

 

“Just be grateful that we actually did not stop you two for your goals! For our country’s and the world’s sake! I can’t believe my daughters have such a capability! Must be the genes, right dear?” Jessica’s father directed the question for his wife.

 

However, Jessica’s mother ignored the question and faced Jessica. Just as she was about to speak again, she noticed Jessica’s face with a mix of emotions: happiness, shock, apologetic, spacing out into her own world processing the words she just heard. “Jessica?” Her mother tried to pull Jessica back into reality again.

 

“Uh yes, Umma?” Jessica’s expression has now stabilized a little to spacing out. Noticing that Jessica was still spacing out, half of her soul in reality and her own world, she can only smile while shaking her head. “Do you need me to help you pack? The move is within such a short notice! What kind of company does that?!” Jessica’s mother asked. “Yea, sure, umma.” Jessica replied, not minding the question at the end.

 

*End of flashback*

 

Looking out of the windows, she recognized the street names and before she knew it, she arrived at the location. After paying the taxi driver and unloading her luggage from the boot, she looked around in hopes of finding someone familiar.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Soonkyu-ah, you forgot to pack the herbal medicines!” A middle-aged lady’s voice could be heard echoing through the walls in the house. “I don’t need them, umma!” Another voice shouted across the corridors of the house. Sunny was playing with her Nintendo DS on a couch in the living room happily, ignoring the fact that her mother was checking what she had packed and what she had left out.

 

Back in her room, her mother decided to squeeze the herbal medicines into the already full luggage and locked the luggage. “Yeobo! The luggage is ready!” Her mother called out to her father. “Great! We can go now, Soonkyu.” Sunny’s father said enthusiastically.

 

Sunny got up from the couch and hopped her way towards her father’s car while still playing with her Nintendo DS. “Soonkyu, you should stop playing when you are in the car or you will get dizzy.” Her father adviced while putting the luggage in the trunk of the car.

 

The both of them got in the car and headed towards the dorm in Seoul. It was an hour trip from where they were and they mostly remained silent because Sunny was still absorbed in her game, not minding to say any goodbyes to her parents. Although she appeared to not care about it at all, it actually hurts in her heart. And so, to get rid of the pain, she played games in her Nintendo DS. However, it didn’t help much. Being a strong girl that she is, she continued playing and not wanting to say goodbyes in case she cries. For her, crying means showing weaknesses, and she did not want her weakness to be exposed in front of her parents.

 

Finally, they arrived at the location where the dorm is located. Again, she stayed quiet and focused on completing the level in her game, not wanting to face her father; not wanting to let her tears flow once she face him.

 

After unloading the luggage from the trunk, her father faced her and sighed. “Bye Soonkyu, take care of yourself.” “Yes appa. Bye bye.” Sunny coolly replied. In fact, she was about to break into tears so she cut short her words. Leaving her family for a long period wasn’t an easy thing to do especially when they are the ones she knows for a lifetime and supported her when she needed help. They were also the ones who raised her up to be the person who she is now.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Tiffany bid farewell to her roommate and housemates cheerfully while leaving with a few pink briefcases. Big, medium, small, all pink. Since she arrived in Korea from America a few years back, there were many things to pack and take with her.

 

After her mother had left the world when fighting cancer, she got hope again from CSJH and S.E.S. and thus she decided to follow their steps and be a singer to bring hope to other people.

 

When auditioning in America, the company requested her to show her personal talent. However, she thought of none. She had to leave the building and that was when everything changed.

 

Suddenly, a manager fainted from stress of auditioning so many people. She hastily went forward and massaged his head in a few circles and he slowly came to. The manager smiled and immediately casted Tiffany into the company. Someone with a talent of healing is definitely needed in the group that they are preparing for. Since they have a life-risking job, a healer is needed without seeing a doctor as news would be spilled once they reach the hospital and their identity might be revealed. Tiffany is thought to be the right person for that position as she could sing and dance well, not to mention, grades of flying colours which she could get a doctor, nurse or pharmacist permit without sweat.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Hyoyeon was hopping on her way towards the bus station. Okay, not hopping, since it’s impossible to do that when all your personal belongings are with you which might weigh a ton. She cheerfully put on her earphones and shuffled her playlist.

 

Waiting for a bus with a huge luggage doesn’t help as everyone was staring at her as if she was an alien or something. However, she didn’t mind it all.

 

*Flashback*

 

She was first casted by SM through a dancing competition. With her superb skills, she emerged victory with ease. No doubt, few of the other competitors were unsatisfied that they got beaten easily. And so, few of them gang up and found Hyoyeon alone after the competition.

 

They went towards her and attempted to beat Hyoyeon into bruises. Unfortunately, Hyoyeon managed to dodge their attacks despite the fact that there were five of them trying to hurt Hyoyeon. This scene was noticed by the officer managing the competition and decided to tape it with a video camera used for referencing in marks-giving.

 

Few days later, Hyoyeon was told that she is illegible to be a trainee in the company. She hesitate the offer at first because she was also notified that besides being trained to be in the entertainment world, she would have to deal with the outside world- the world full of darkness and shadow.

 

After much thought, she finally decided to give it a try since it’s a golden opportunity for her under much persuasion from the company and the benefits she gets from the company. As a reward from the company, they gave her a chance to be on the same stage as BoA, the one who she admired for her perfect dancing and singing skills.

 

She worked even harder after that because of an insult from a staff working backstage. Therefore, she became the best female dancer among the trainees leaving the trainees in awe and learnt some moves from her. She was more than generous to help those trainees but she hardly had any real friends. Most of them only came to her when they are in need of help in dancing. Nonetheless, she helped them yet her level of dancing skills was so supreme that the others were unable to catch up with her.

 

*Flashback ends*

 

She chuckled to herself at the thought of staying top which brought her to be part of the upcoming girl group. Just then, the bus arrived and she gathered her senses and went on the bus towards her dorm.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Umma, can I pack these yams?” Yuri asked her mother anxiously. “Sure Yuri. Take these too.” Her mother handed over a few packets of herbal medicine to her. “Thanks.” Yuri smiled a big smile. She loves these organic foods just as much as she loves her health of the body.

 

“Okay, you got everything you need?” Her mother asked caringly. “Yes! I’ll get going now then.” Yuri embraced her mother tightly showing how much she loves her mother. “Do well, Yuri-ah. We will always be on your back. I’m glad that we have you as our daughter.” Her mother tried hard to suppress her sadness inside her heart and smiled a toothless smile.

 

“Yes sure! I love you, umma! See you soon!” Yuri said warmly as she left the door with her luggage. As the doors closed behind her, she made her way towards her father’s car which was already waiting for her. Her father then dragged the luggage into the trunk and closed the cover with a big thump.

 

“Let’s go then. Where was it again?” Her father asked while handing a map to Yuri. “508 Apgujeong-dong, in the Gangnam area in Seoul. It’s very close to the company. The company is at 512.” Yuri said while eyeing the map for the directions towards there.

 

“That’s great, I’m sure they will have a tight security there and hopefully they keep an eye of you for me.” Her father joked. “Appa, I’m not that bad you know?” Yuri happily answered as her father stepped on the pedal.

 

Yuri’s parents strongly approved what Yuri was aiming for when they received the call and immediately gave their consent. They were happy for Yuri as she was happy with what she was doing too. They both felt proud as their own daughter would be the one wiping out evil as well as sing and dance on stage.

 

SM entertainment first found her when a manager from the dancing competition organised from the company in another area different from Hyoyeon took notice of Yuri. After the dance competition held in a shopping complex, Yuri headed towards the arcade with her brother. There, she was playing a shooting game heartily with each bullet gaining a headshot and achieved the highest score in the arcade. Coincidentally, the manager from the dancing competition had taken his kids to the arcade after the competition as well.

 

That was when the manager decided to cast Yuri into the company and become a trainee. Well, besides the usual vocal and dance training and other aspects needed to be an idol, Yuri was also training with all types of artillery weapons. From the small and easy to carry pistol to even a rocket launcher, she could handle it all. Where did she get the weapons from? The government of course, they supplied the weapons and bullets for her along with other potential trainees who might debut as both an idol and secret agent.

 

Finally, Yuri arrived at the location of the dorm as she unbuckled her safety seatbelt and took her step out of the vehicle. She took in a deep breath of fresh air while her father took out her luggage and handed to her. All was well.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Umma, I want more bibimbap please.” A whining voice could be heard from a girl hungrily gobbling down her food. “Here you go Sooyoung, eat slowly, it’s not like this is your last meal.” Her mother said, half mocking her. “But this is my last meal from my loving umma that I will have for I don’t know how long!” Sooyoung managed to say after swallowing down her food.

 

Her mother shook her head and asked, “So have you got everything you need?” “Yea, umma. If only I could bring you along too…” Sooyoung replied sadly with her head down. “It won’t be that bad. Great success comes with great sacrifices. You won’t regret it.” Her mother supported her.

 

As Sooyoung wiped clean, her mother cleared the table. “Off you go now Sooyoung, you wouldn’t want to be late!” Her mother said while doing the dishes. Sooyoung reluctantly left the dining table and get her luggage towards her aunt’s car since her father was at work and he couldn’t see her off. Moreover, her mother could not drive. She actually thought her mother would send her to the door. But to her dismay, her mother was acting as though she was going to school as usual.

 

Back in the kitchen, her mother was sobbing as if it was the end of the world while doing the dishes. “Sooyoung ah, I will miss you so much…” Her mother mumbled to herself with her tears blocking the view of the basin and the plates.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Yoona! Did you seriously bring that thing with you?” A female voice shouted across the rooms to reach Yoona who was watching the television. “Yes! What about it? I can’t sleep without it, seriously.” She grumbled, as she was interrupted from the drama she was watching.

 

“But, Yoona, you are 16 years old already and yet you still need to hug that thing to sleep?” Her sister mocked her. “That isn’t a thing! He’s Rilakumma! Isn’t he cute?” Yoona protested. “Whatever, I expect your members will laugh at you once you take it out.” Her sister said and left. “Rummaging through what I packed, who does she think she is?” Yoona mumbled to herself.

 

Finally, her drama ended and went back to her room to get her luggage. “Appa, let’s get going now.” Yoona called. “Okay, let me get the car keys.” Her father got up from the couch.

 

Yoona had auditioned several times just to get into SM. Unfortunately looks didn’t help her in getting a free entry. She went through series after series of auditions just to get in. At first, she did not know the double-sided face of the company until she finally got into it by her perseverance. Luckily, the company was satisfied enough from her hard work and found some talents in her.

 

They gave her the contract and gave her time to consider for a week. After much consideration, she signed the contract, knowing that she has to keep training hard. The contract also stated that she has to keep shut about being a secret agent, even to her family until the time comes when she will officially become one or suffer the consequence- death of her and her family. As the company did not want anyone to sell out their secrets into the wrong hands, a severe consequence had to be made.

 

Time passed and she kept shut, fearing the consequence. There were times when she got injured from the training practices yet she had to keep mum about what really happened and come up with lies and excuses.

 

Now that she is finally debuting, she felt it all worthwhile, even though it might be tough most of the time she felt that being able to keep the innocent from the sinners is her honour and will strive hard to achieve that. Besides, she really loves to dance too.

 

Without realizing it, she finally reached the location of her dormitory. They are supposed to live on the 9th floor. She looked up at the apartment and she smiled. It wasn’t luxurious, yet it wasn’t too shabby too. She like things being simple; simple as this.

 

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Umma, can I bring Keroro with me too?” Seohyun asked her mother politely. “Sure, Juhyun, anything you need.” Her mother smiled warmly at her. “Did you remember to bring the things you need for school?” Her mother asked Seohyun. “Yes, but I will have to iron my uniform later for tomorrow.” She calmly said.

 

“Good, you better be quick. I think it’s about time you need to leave now.” Her mother said while embracing her into a tight hug, her eyes b with tears. Since she is the only child and daughter in the family, they brought up her letting her to do things she wanted.

 

Despite of that, Seohyun grow up sensibly, not being a spoiled brat like some kids would. Seohyun’s parents were grateful for that and always taught her to spend her time wisely. They also gave some advice on how she should manage her money carefully.

 

Since her father had gone to work early and there isn’t a car left at home, Seohyun had to go to the dormitory by the train. She dragged her luggage with her and arrived at the platform heading to Gangnam.

 

The train station which was close to her home carried her most important memory of her lifetime- the day she was casted and encouraged to audition for the company. That day, she was waiting alone for her train to arrive on her way to her elementary school. While she was reading diligently, a talent staff spotted her amongst the crowd.

 

He approached her and asked her to audition in the company. Likewise, she went to the audition during that weekend and that was when the company found out about her talent in everything related to technology by chance during a blackout in the company. Her talent in music was also exceptional with her piano skills, singing and dancing capabilities.

 

She was immediately accepted into the company and she was also asked to attend courses in the related field. Without sweat, she learnt quickly and later was able to write her own programmes and such. She was really thankful to the talent staff and wanted to thank him when she was accepted into the company after that.

 

A while later an announcement was made to notify passengers of the arrival of the train. Seohyun pulled her luggage with her and luckily the busy hours was over and she got a seat. Stops after stops, she reached her destination and aligned. With about 20 minutes walking distance, she was sweating under the hot sun and arrived at the dormitory at last.

 

She breathed deeply in need of oxygen as the weather was hot and she walked with a heavy luggage before. She stood outside the address and a few other girls were already there.

 

-END-