chapter 4

Our Invisible Wall

"Reita . . . Reita," Hana dragged out his name as she poked his cheek. Reita lifted his head and looked at her dumbfounded, the piece of ramen hung loosely on his bottom lip. "Reita, what has you so distracted lately?"

    

"Huh . . . oh, nothing. What were you saying?" he responded slowly and sluggishly.

    

'Urgh . . . well, like I was saying . . .' her words seemed to slur in Reita's mind. It had been over three weeks since he had last spoken to Kai; Two weeks since Kai left and took all his belongings with him and two weeks since he got that new (annoying as hell) roommate. He was beyond mad at Kai for leaving him behind, but it was Kai's final words that made him feel this unexplainable feeling...

    

"You've already hurt me enough,'

 

"Did you hear? Saga-sama from the disciplinary committee asked out Kai- chan. You know, the one from class 2-A." the conversation pulled Reita right out of his thoughts as he felt his stomach drop. Saga? As in his idiot roommate Saga, who was part of the disciplinary committee!?

    

"What, for real? What did Kai-san say?" He felt his hands clench and his heart beat speed up.

    

"Yeah, I know, I canft believe it either! Apparently Kai-chan hasn't given him a definite answer.' His tensed muscles relaxed.

    

"Wait, didn't Saga-sama just transfer here?"

    

"Yeah, he did and from what I heard, Shou-sama himself requested for him to be transferred here."

 

"Do you think he'll say yes?" once again, Reita's heart began to race for some unknown reason.

    

"I hope so, do you know how cute they'll-" Reita slammed his hands onto the table, effectively cutting Hana off. He could no longer listen to this absurd conversation. His best friend with another guy!? How absolutely ridiculous! If Kai was to be with anyone then it would be him! He knew Kai the best and . . . wait, this was all wrong. Reita was straight and he had a girlfriend. Why did it matter to him if Kai was gay or bi or whatever he was?

 

***

 

    "Kai~" Ruki kicked his feet as they dangled from his spot on Kai's desk. He might've been short but he enjoyed it so very much. He could run away faster, hide almost anywhere, and get away with practically anything. Yup, being short was awesome.

 

Kai rolled over on his bed and glared at Ruki. This must have been like the tenth time Ruki had interrupted his studying. "What?" He questioned as he turned away, attempting to focus on his bio homework once again.

 

"I'm bored," the little chibi complained as he jumped off the desk. Slowly, he started creeping up on his victim. 

 

"What do you want me to do 'bout it?" Kai didn't know why he even tried to study with Ruki in the same room. The kid never studied but always managed to have the highest grades in the class.

 

"Entertain me!" Ruki screeched obnoxiously as he pounced on Kai. Straddling Kai's back and quickly latching his arms around Kai's shoulders made it almost impossible for Kai to shake him off. So much so that it actually caused the two to tumble to the ground.

 

"Urrghhh, get off me already," Kai continued to thrash around to shake Ruki off but the stubborn chibi just wouldn't let go.

 

"Aw, but you love me so much," he whined, snuggling into Kai's back.

 

"Seriously, I don't have time for this. My exam is in two hours!" Kai huffed,  finally giving up on getting Ruki off.

 

"Come on, you've been studying since last week I'm sure you'll pass." Slowly releasing Kai, Ruki rolled off of him. He sprawled himself on the floor and stared at the ceiling. He was just trying to make his friend smile but he had yet to accomplish that. Kai hadn't smiled in over two weeks. That fight had taken its toll on Kai and Ruki was quite aware of it.

 

"I'm not you, Ruki," Turning to lay on his back, Kai sighed deeply.

 

"Clearly," he sarcastically grunted, "but you're definintly not a Reita."

 

Kai let out a bitter, dry laugh.

 

"So tell me about that Saga guy."

 

"Urrghh, can we please not," Kai groaned, "Miyavi already interrogated me."

 

As he got up Ruki let out a maniacal chuckle. "Oh, if he got to know, I totally get to know as well. After all, I am so much more important." He tackled Kai onto the bed. 

 

----------

Sorry for the short chapter, it's mostly just a filler