Four

Love in 1413
Myungsoo is walking around aimlessly at the lantern festival lost in his thoughts. He can tell that Jaejoong is interested in that girl from the way he looked at her. He can also sense that this girl is different from the other girls Jaejoong had shown interest in. It is a totally bad idea to allow whatever feelings that Jaejoong harbour for the girl to grow as Jaejoong is going to get married to the Prime Minister's daughter. There is no way that their father would allow any changes to his plan, both Jaejoong and Myungsoo had learnt it the hard way. But Jaejoong had always like to test his limits, often getting into trouble with their father. Myungsoo shakes his head lightly at the thought that the ruckus that Jaejoong might cause. Just then, someone knocks him into the ground, sending him out of his deep thoughts. 
 
"Argh.." Myungsoo groans in pain as he lay flat on his back. He tries to get up but is unable to do so as he felt a heavy weight lying on his chest.
 
"Sorry," Myungsoo hears a girl apologises and felt the weight lifting from his body.
 
Myungsoo slowly sits up and finds a girl busy sweeping the dust off her blue hanbok. There is something familiar about this girl that Myungsoo is unable to put his finger on.
 
"Are you alright?" The girl asks and looks towards the motionless Myungsoo. 
 
"I am fine," Myungsoo replied after a slight pause. He quickly got up and started dusting his clothes like the girl.
 
"I am really sorry for knocking into you. I wish to stay longer but I am in a hurry. If you suffer any injury or would like some compensation, please go to the Defence Minister Residence to look for me. My name is Jung Yongjoo." The girl quickly baded farewell and ran away.
 
"Jung Yongjoo," Myungsoo repeated softly as the corners of his mouth lifted upwards. "You are back!"
 
Myungsoo continue staring at the vanishing back of the girl as his hand moved to the jade pendant hanging on his belt. He recalls his first and last encounter with her, his first love.
 
 
7 years ago
8 year old Myungsoo has managed to sneak out of the palace to the marketplace. The early morning in the marketplace was bustling with activities as the vendors busied themselves with their customers and goods. No one took notice of the young boy who is walking around taking the new sight in.
 
"Ahjussi, give me two of these" Myungsoo pointed at two hot buns.
 
"That will be 2 cents," the man replied as he packs two buns.
 
Myungsoo fumbled in his money pouch but accidentally spilled all its contents on the ground. He hurriedly pick up his expenses for the day and gave one gold to the man. 
 
"Sorry, doryeonim. I do not have change for that," the man bowed deeply, flustered by the rich boy.
 
"It's fine, keep the change." Myungsoo place the gold on the stall and took his hot buns. Unaware to Myungsoo, a group of street thieves have seen the entire encounter. As Myungsoo gradually reach the end of the street where there are less people, the band of thieves dragged him into a small alley.
 
"Give me all your money," the man threatens as he grabbed Myungsoo by his collar and points a dagger at him. Myungsoo hurriedly reached into his sleeves and took out his money pouch.
 
"That's it, such a good boy," the man smirked as he toss the money pouch to his underlings. "I'll take that too." The man snatched the jade pendant from Myungsoo's belt.
 
"No, please don't take that. It is very important to me." Myungsoo pleaded.
 
"Oh, is it that important?" 
 
"Yes, please give it back to me."
 
"Well, too bad for you boy, I'm sure this pendant can fetch a decent price." The man pockets the jade pendant. 
 
"Give it back!" Myungsoo lunged towards the bigger man and hung onto his arm.
 
"Get him away!" The man shouted to his underlings. Two of them had to pry Myungsoo's fingers open before they were able to hold him down again.
 
"Look what you have down to my clothes!" The man spat at Myungsoo, who stare back at him defiantly. Seething with fury, the man picked up the dagger he had dropped earlier and walk towards Myungsoo. Raising it above his head, he aimed at Myungsoo's chest and swiftly brought it down. However, his dagger hit a metal blade and shattered to pieces.
 
"What do you think you are doing?" A high voice cut through the air.
 
Everyone turned towards the owner of the voice, a young girl wielding a sword too large for her size.
 
"Little kid, stay out of this! If not you will suffer the same consequences as this stupid boy here." The leader replied.
 
"I can't let you bully him." The young girl stood her ground and pointed her sword at the leader.
 
"Hahaha! Try me then, what can a little girl like you do? Boys, grab her too. Today is our lucky day, we have another one delivered to our doorstep." The leader ordered.
 
The underlings made their move but was met with much resistance by the sword-yielding young girl who seem not to be weighed down by the heavy sword as she slash through the air with ease.
 
"Boss! Help!" The underlings retreats from the kid.
 
"Bunch of morons!" The leader screamed and lunged at the young girl but was instead rewarded with a few cuts on his arms and legs.
 
"Boss!" The underlings rushed towards their fallen leader.
 
"Go! Let's get out of here! That kid is crazy." The leader threw the jade pendant at Myungsoo and limped away from the scene with the support of his underlings.
 
"Are you okay?" The young girl hurried over to help Myungsoo, who is busy dusting off the dirt from the jade pendant and oblivious to his surroundings.
 
"You are bleeding!" The young girl lightly brushed her fingers on Myungsoo's cut on his cheek. Myungsoo looked up to see a pair of brown eyes staring at him.
 
"Luckily, it is not a deep cut." The girl took out her pink handkerchief and pressed it on his wound. 
 
"You are hurt too." Myungsoo grabbed the girl's wrist.
 
"I am fine. It is just a scratch." 
 
"But.."
 
"I am really okay. I am not new to these kind of injury." The girl wriggled out of Myungsoo grasp. "We need to stop your bleeding first. Here, apply pressure on your wound."
 
"Thank you." Myungsoo whispered but the girl still managed to hear it.
 
"You are welcome," he smiled and his bright round eyes transformed into crescent moons. "My name is Yongjoo. Jung Yongjoo. What is your name?"
 
"Kim Myungsoo."
 
"Kim Myungsoo... Do you mind if I ask why is that jade pendant so important to you that you are willing to risk your life for it?"
 
"It was a gift from my father. This is the only thing he has given to me"
 
"I see, it must be very precious to you." The girl sat down beside Myungsoo.
 
"Yes."
 
"Then you must learn to protect it."
 
"Ey..?"
 
"You must be strong to protect the things you hold precious, that is what my father taught me." Yongjoo looked up at the sky. "It's late, I have to go now. Take care Kim Myungsoo."
 
Myungsoo stares quietly at the retreating figure of the young girl as he makes up his mind that he will become stronger to protect his precious objects, his family, and her, Jung Yongjoo.