Three

Love in 1413
"Excuse me," Jiyoung heard someone calling. "Excuse me, lady." This time she felt someone tapping her shoulder. Jiyoung turned around and saw the crown prince's bodyguard trying to speak to her. 
 
"Yes?" Jiyoung asked cautiously.
 
"My name is Son Dongwoon. I am from the Royal Guards and the personal guard for the crown prince. May I know your name?" Dongwoon smiled gentlely.
 
"My name isn't important, Master Son. I am just a maid." Jiyoung turned towards her mistress. But before she can follow them, she felt someone pulling her back and was enveloped by a pair of strong arms. Shocked at the sudden act, Jiyoung froze in the man's embrace. 
 
"YAH! Don't run around, you almost knocked into someone." Dongwoon scolded a group of young kids, whom turned tails and ran away. "Aish... How rude of them. Are you ok?" Dongwoon then realised that he is still hugging the young maid and quickly released her.
 
"Hey..." Dongwoon called out to Jiyoung who seem to be lost in her own world. Waving his hands in front of her, he call again. "Hey, are you ok?"
 
"Ah... Yes? Oh... I'm ok." Jiyoung stuttered. "Thank you." 
 
"You are welcome!" Dongwoon smiled and Jiyoung felt her heart thumping loudly in her chest. 
 
"My name is Jiyoung," Jiyoung said softly.
 
"What did you just say?"
 
"I said my name is Jiyoung, Kang Jiyoung." Jiyoung said it a little louder.
 
"Ahh.. Jiyoung.. It is a nice name." Hearing his words, Jiyoung felt heat rising in her cheeks. She quietly turned away to hide her blushing face.
 
"Agasshi!" Jiyoung suddenly remembered and looked around frantically for her mistress.
 
-----
 
"So..." Jaejoong started the conversation as he walked beside Gyuri. "Where do you want to go?"
 
"No idea. You were the one who wanted me to accompany you. Do you have anywhere you want to go?" 
 
"As a matter of fact, I do. Follow me." Jaejoong grabbed Gyuri's hand and interlaced his fingers with hers.
 
"Yah! What are you doing? Let me go!" Gyuri tried to shake off Jaejoong off but he maintain a firm hold on her small hands.
 
"Just in case I lost you in the crowd. So hold on tight." Jaejoong starts to pull Gyuri through the crowd as he make his way hurriedly to his destination before Gyuri have another chance to protest.
 
-----
 
"What are we doing here?" Gyuri asked as she glanced around nervously. Jaejoong had dragged her away from the festival crowd to the top of the palace gates that looms above all other building in the vicinity. They have also separated from Jiyoung in the process, Gyuri is now worried what he might do to her.
 
"Come here," Jaejoong simply said as he pulled her forward towards the edge of the wall.
 
"Can you let me go now?" 
 
"Fine," Jaejoong finally release her hand and pointed forward into the night sky. "Look there."
 
"What is it? There is noth..." Gyuri then spotted a light source that rose from the nearby lake in front of her as it gentlely increase in altitude. Slowly, more light sources appeared and continue their ascend. The light source lights up the dark sky like there are thousands of stars shining in the sky.
 
 
"This is my secret spot where I watch the lanterns being released in the air every year." Jaejoong said after a long period of silence as both of them stood side by side admiring the scenery.
 
"Why did you bring me here? To your secret spot?" Gyuri asked.
 
"I don't know," Jaejoong shrugged. 
 
"Thank you." Gyuri turned towards Jaejoong. "It's really beautiful."
 
"I am glad you like it." Jaejoong smiled lightly, still staring at the night scene. "You are the first person that I ever bring here since my teacher brought me here 10 years ago. He told me that the lanterns symbolises the hopes and wishes of the people. And it is my responsibility to fulfill them as their future king. The day when I become a great king is when my people wishes are fulfilled."
 
"He sounds like a great teacher."
 
"He was." Jaejoong expression turns dark.
 
"He was?"
 
"He was killed by my father. My father believed that one should rule through power and terror but my teacher thought differently. Their different stand and various conflicts finally led to his demise."

"I'm sorry." 
 
"It's fine," Jaejoong turned towards Gyuri. "I believe he have left this world for a better place. To a world free of sadness and suffering."
 
"He definitely have."
 
"I don't know why I'm telling you this. But thank you for listening." Jaejoong looked straight at Gyuri's eyes, and he found a large pair of deep-set eyes with long eyelashes staring back at him.
 
"You are welcome," Gyuri smiled and he felt blood rushing to his cheeks. 
 
"It's time to go," Jaejoong quickly turned towards the exit as he tries to hide his blush.
 
"Ey?" Gyuri was confused by his sudden change. In fact, she doesn't want to leave yet. She is enjoying herself, although she will never admit it to him.
 
"Hurry up," Jaejoong calls again and Gyuri had no choice but to follow Jaejoong who is already waiting at for her at the exit.
 
-----
 
"Agasshi! Are you alright?" Jiyoung rushed towards Gyuri, her face full of worries. Jiyoung has been searching for Gyuri since they were separated and she finally found her mistress with the crown prince near the palace gates.
 
"I am fine," Gyuri replied. "He did not do anything to me."
 
"I told you she will be safe with the prince." Dongwoon interrupted. 
 
"Sorry for troubling you earlier," Jiyoung bowed to Dongwoon who had helped her to look for Gyuri. "We will take our leave now."
 
"Be careful," Dongwoon smiled kindly as Jiyoung hurriedly pulled Gyuri away. 
 
"Hey!" Jaejoong suddenly shouted at the 2 leaving figures but they were already too far gone.
 
"Crown prince, what is wrong?" Dongwoon asked.
 
"I forgot to ask for her name."