One

Love in 1413

 

"Gyuri," a man in his mid forties called out to a young girl who is in the midst of reading.
 
"Yes, Father." The girl quickly put down her book and walk towards him, while her personal maid follows closely behind.
 
"It's been decided, your future husband."
 
"I understand." Gyuri nodded. 
 
"Aren't you curious who he is?" The man asked, surprised at the lack of reaction from his daughter.
 
"It doesn't matter who he is, I believe that the man you choose will be right choice." 
 
"Haha, indeed. Thank you for your trust. But Gyuri," he lightly placed his hand on her shoulders and stare straight into her eyes with a serious expression, "it won't be easy, marrying this man. You will have a lot of responsibilities to bear, I need you to be strong and support him. I trust that you will be a good wife and a great queen."
 
"Are you saying that my future husband is the crown prince?" She asked, unable to hide the surprise.
 
"Yes, although the crown prince is still young and a little erm... playful, I believe that he will become a great king like his father. That's why I need your help on this, Gyuri ah. I need you to help him." 
 
"I understand, father." Gyuri looked back at him with a determined expression.
 
"Good, I will go inform your mother about this." 
 
As the Prime Minister took his leave, Gyuri turned to her maid. "Jiyoungie, what should I do?" Her expression full of worries as she realise the seriousness of the situation.
 
"Agasshi, don't worry. He might not even remember you or what you did." Jiyoung tried to comfort her mistress.
 
-------
 
2 months ago
Gyuri was taking a stroll along the main street with Jiyoung when they heard a loud commotion in front of the town brothel. They joined the crowd that has already gathered in a semi-circle watching the drama unfolds. 
 
"Doryeonim, please let me go." A woman begged as she tries to shake off the hand holding her.
 
"You dirtied my clothes, and you have to pay for it." A young man snapped at her.
 
"I am really sorry but i don't have money to pay you back."
 
"Then you have to pay for it in other ways." The man smirked as he drags her towards the brothel.
 
"Let me go, let me go," the woman desperately put up a useless fight.
 
"Why isn't anyone helping the woman?" Gyuri asked Jiyoung.
 
"I guess no one wants to get into trouble, from the looks of the man, he seem to be someone of high ranking. No one would want to offend him." Jiyoung replied.
 
"That's no reason to bully a woman," Gyuri whispered. "I have to help her."
 
"But, Agasshi.." Jiyoung tried to stop her but she has already pushed through the crowd and approached the man.
 
"Hey, let go of the woman right now," Gyuri grabbed the man's hand that is pulling the woman.
 
"Who are you?" The man asked with an irritated expression.
 
"Just someone who couldn't stand a man bullying a helpless woman. Let her go this instant or i swear you will regret this." Gyuri stared fiercely at the man.
 
"Interesting," the man said, clearly amused. "What can you, a weak woman, do?"
 
"This!" Gyuri draw out a short knife and pointed at his neck. In an instant, she was held hostage by a man who drew his sword at her.
 
"Put down the knife, this is the crown.." the bodyguard warned.
 
"Dongwoon," the man cut him off. "It's alright, put away your sword."
 
"But, master..." Dongwoon still refuses to lower his sword.
 
"Do it," he snapped and Dongwoon finally move away from Gyuri.
 
"Release her!" Gyuri warned again as her knife edges nearer to the man.
 
"You wouldn't dare," the man taunts her.
 
"Try me!" Gyuri moves closer and the tip of her knife cuts his skins causing a few trickle of blood to flow down his neck.
 
"Alright, alright." He lets go of the woman. 
 
"Go!" Gyuri ordered the woman. She waited till the woman disappeared from her sight before she withdrew her knife.
 
"I'm impressed, you are a brave woman. The first one to ever defy me." The man praised her. "But, you ought to know that there are consequences when you defy me." The man's eye flashed red.
 
"I'm not afraid of you."
 
"Well, you should be. Because..." the man moved closer to Gyuri. "I'm the crown prince, Kim Jaejoong." He whispered and left.