Chapter 3

Eternity

 


Chapter 3. Audition


 

What a dream.

That was the worst dream she ever had.

For almost an hour after waking up, Yoona just lied down whilst staring off the distance. She looked at the clock and realized that she had slept for almost sixteen hours.

If she could be honest with herself, it really felt too real to think that it’s just a dream. But if it was not a dream, what could explain all those weird things? She was sure enough that she saw a real music box. She could even feel the arrow when it pierced her heart. And the melody... she still remembered clearly how it sounded in her head. But then again, that mysterious music box had vanished. She couldn’t find it anywhere in her room after she thoroughly searched for it. Let alone the arrow, there was not even a trace that she had been shot by it. And the weirdest thing was, the pain on her big toe had gone too. Was it also a dream?

Actually, the biggest problem was she felt like she couldn’t even dance anymore. She couldn't even do the basic moves. No matter what songs she used, she couldn’t match her moves with the music. That perfect melody kept replaying in her head, making her desperately wanted to hear it again.

Out of all those weird things, there’s one thing that kept on clouding her mind. The strange feeling of joy that she felt in her dream. It’s like the feeling of falling deeply in love with someone for the first time. That feeling when she saw Kris on the soccer field for the first time and fell in love with him. No, maybe even more than that. Even her love for her parents couldn’t be compared to this feeling.

This new feeling buried all the love she ever had before.

 

***

 

A few days later, after her class Yoona was rushing to the practice room. Fany was really arranged an audition for her. If Fany didn’t remind her about it this morning, she might already forget about it. Actually after that strange dream, she had completely given up about the competition, but because Fany was so enthusiastic about this audition, Yoona had no heart to refuse her. 

Once she reached the practice room, she spotted two persons that immediately stood up upon seeing her. They exchanged awkward smiles until Fany came and gave her a tight hug like they had separated for years.

“Yoong! I thought you won’t come!” she pouted.

“Of course I'll come.” Yoona chuckled.

“Let me introduce them!” Fany said excitedly, showing her eye smile. “Henry Lau and Lee Donghae! Another one will come later!” She winked.  

Suddenly they heard a familiar annoying voice behind them. “Oh my.. Yoona. Are they your accompanists?”

Yoona took a deep breath before turned around to face the visitor. Jessica Jung. A blonde girl that was famous for being a . She was a cheerleader captain and also taking part in competition. In short, Yoona's rival.

“Why is she here?!” Fany whispered angrily while Jessica was examining the two boys from head to toe.

“Shouldn’t you ask yourself? Your big mouth perhaps?” Yoona glared at her.

Fany immediately covered with her hand, her eyes widened.

“E-e-excuse m-me.. Y-yoona-ssi. Can w-we star-t now?” A stuttering voice stopped her from killing her own cousin.

“Ah yes Donghae-ssi, I’m sorry for making you wait.” Yoona gave him an apologetic smile, made the latter blushing.

The audition started with Donghae. She wasn’t sure if it was because he was nervous or because the presence of Jessica that made his stammering became worse than it was before. He even almost dropped his viola before they even started. It didn’t get any better because Jessica kept mocking him on the side.

Yoona tried to explain about the melody to him, but Donghae couldn’t get it right no matter what. And Donghae was what everyone called a music genius. The melody was just too perfect to describe. In the end she just decided to use Donghae’s own choice of music but it still didn’t work. She didn’t like it. She kept asking him to change the songs, but she didn’t like any of it.

She finally eliminated Donghae. He walked out from the room with his head down and looking sad, Yoona felt really bad but she couldn’t do anything about it. Donghae wasn’t the one she was looking for.

The second one was Henry Lau. He was even worse. He just kept playing without concerning her preference at all. That was when she realized they didn’t mean for each other. It wasn’t him either.

“If you are being picky like this, you will get no one to be your accompanist.” Jessica said in a mocking tone. As much as Yoona hated her and what she said, she had to admit that she was right. Maybe she was just too picky and selfish.

Yoona sighed and turned to Fany, tried to ignore Jessica’s endless blabbering.

“Unnie.. let’s stop here. I will not take part in competition.. at least not this year.”

Fany was about to argue when the practice room’s door opened abruptly. Revealing a panting Kai.

“Kai!” Fany jumped up and down upon seeing him.

“I’m sorry Yoona. I’m late. The practice just ended.” He said whilst trying to catch his breaths.

Yoona stared at the boy in front of her. This was the first time she saw him up close. She had to slightly look up to him because he was tall, even though Kris was still much taller than him. His black hair that almost covering his eyes and his tan skin was just fit perfectly for him. Or as Fany said.. handsome and charming.

“You.. come?” Yoona asked as if she was seeing a ghost. She honestly still couldn’t believe what she saw.

“Of course, I had promised Fany that I will try.” Kai smiled sheepishly and Yoona wondered if he knew that he looked so attractive when he did that.

She immediately brushed the thought off whilst chanting Kris’ name in her head.

“but..” She paused, not sure what to do. She never thought that Fany would really ask Kai to come. If Kris knew it, this would be a perfect reason for them to get into a big fight again. She didn’t want to make their situation more complicated than it already was.

As if sensing her doubt, Fany suddenly dragging her to the corner. Leaving Kai with Jessica alone. Yoona could see he was annoyed by Jessica's constant aegyo.

“what are you thinking about now?” Fany asked when they were far enough from them.

“It’s just.. what about Kris..”

“Just forget him for now! Look, the one who comes to help you is Kai, not Kris! Where's Kris when you need him? but Kai is here for you!”

“but still..”

Fany widened her eyes. “Be honest with me, you want Charlotte Theater so bad right? Do you really want to give up just because of Kris?”

Yoona bit her lips. “I don’t know, I feel like giving up to begin with. It’s not only because of Kris.”

“Oh come on Yoong, don’t you feel bad for Kai? He already comes here despite all his practice schedules. At least try it! Just once!”

Yoona then heaved a deep sigh. Fany always succeed to convince her eventually.

“Alright.. I’ll try. But don’t expect too much.”

“Great!” Fany beamed.

As excited as ever, Fany dragged her back to Kai who was trying to get away from Jessica. As she walked to him, she caught Kai’s strange gaze at her. As if he was trying to find out something about her.

“Umm.. thanks for coming.” She mumbled shyly.

“It’s okay, I really want to help you.” He assured her.

They walked to the other side of the room, far from Fany and Jessica who were now ready to claw each other. On the second thought, that probably wouldn’t happen since Jessica never let anyone touched her perfect hair no matter what.

Kai was now skillfully preparing his violin. It looked new, the purfling was still shining. 

“Is that new?” Yoona asked innocently.

“Yeah, I just bought this last night when Fany asked me to help you.”He smiled as he looked at her meaningfully.

“You did?” She was surprised that Kai bought this new violin just to help her.  

He nodded. “The old one was broken; I don’t think I could use it for such important occasion like this. I don’t want to disappoint you.” He sounded sincere.

Yoona blushed but immediately reminded herself not to get carried away by him. He was always known as sweet-talker among the girls.

“H-how did it break?” She tried to change the topic, but stupidly stuttering.

“I kind of slammed it down when I lost the match last time, stupid right?” He scratched his head, looking embarrassed.

Yoona found herself laughing at that. Not about the violin, but how he looked so embarrassed when he said it. It was somewhat cute. 

Kai gazed at her whilst smiling, like he had waited for her to laugh like that. A sincere laugh, not a fake one she always had.

“Let’s start!” He finally said. Almost too excited.