Chapter 1

Eternity

 


Chapter 1. Heaven


Ever since the day he was born, he never felt panic like this. He stared at the boulders in front of him. The seven layers of walls had been destroyed like it was nothing. The seven layers of defense that protected the most precious thing in Heaven. How someone could possibly do that was beyond his logic. He swallowed the lump in his throat as he started walking through it. Cold sweat was flooding in and out of his body and skin.

He couldn’t believe what he saw. He was there stood frozen in front of him. The thief. He knew perfectly who that thief was. He wasn’t a stranger to him. In fact, he adored him so much.

The thief was looking at him like he would likely kill him anytime. That’s when he realized, if he didn’t kill the thief right at this moment, he would be killed in the next moment. His shaking is getting worse. He knew he was nothing compared to the thief. But what else could he do? He couldn’t run away for the thief had seen him. If he would be dead in the end, might as well fight for it. He decided.

His eyes caught the sparkling thing in the thief’s hand. The thing that had disappeared from its supposed place. Now he was sure he had to catch the thief or he.. no, not only him but the whole world would get a big big problem if he let the thief run away with it.

Before he could start moving, he heard someone screaming out his name loudly. Made him stopped his footstep.

“LUHAN....!!!”

The next thing he knew, he saw an arrow dashed to his direction and pierced right into his heart. The force was so unbearable and made him falling to the ground. Vaguely, he saw the thief jumped down and disappeared. His melodious voice echoed through every side of the place.

He also helplessly saw as the precious thing fell from the thief’s hand and disappeared like a dust being blown by the wind.  

 

***

 

Heaven for Im Yoona was the place where she lived now, that was Jeju Do. She loved everything that was beautiful. And Jeju was beautiful. The mountain, the beach, the lake, the blue sky, and even the sun ray. She didn’t know why but she couldn’t leave this place, not anytime soon at least. Even though her parent had to move to Seoul but she decided to stay, along with her cousin. Tiffany Hwang.

But her feeling right now was not that beautiful.

 

Ballet Competition

Registration until May 20th

Contest will be held in June 17th

at Charlotte Theater

 

She had been reading the poster for more than fifteen times. Maybe a million times if she counted it from three months ago and the fact that the poster was also hanged on the wall in her bedroom.

Again, she failed. Even before she had a chance to try. Last year was also like this, for a different reason. That time, she was injured. She was so nervous that she decided to keep practicing everyday but exactly two days before the competition she sprained her ankle and she had to stay in the hospital for two weeks, completely missed the competition. She was weeping and mourning for a whole month after that and determined to enter the competition this year. She had to, for the sake of her dream and Charlotte Theater.

But she never thought she would receive the news that would take all her passion and strength away. She blamed herself for being too excited and too optimistic. She shouldn’t have expected too much. Her failure last year should be a reminder for her that maybe fate was against it. She should have ended it, and forgot about it since then.

No more trying and no more hurting.

“Charlotte Theater,” she whispered to herself. Those two words felt like a stab in her heart and it hurt. She couldn’t suppress her tears anymore and let it fell on her face. She was crying as she stared at the poster that was stapled on the tree. She didn’t even care about the weird looks from strangers that passed by. She looked like a broken heart girl, crying in the middle of the street. Well, she was indeed heartbroken.

After had enough crying, she dragged her feet to go home. Passing every two stories houses in the side that almost looked the same one with another. As she reached her front door, she heaved a long sigh before pushed the door open. She heard the sound of television, Fany had to be watching it right now. She wasn’t ready to talk to her for now, so she tiptoed to the stairs to go to her bedroom upstairs. But it seemed like luck was never on her side.

“Yoona? Are you home?” Fany shouted from the living room.

Yoona could hear her footsteps nearer and as she turned around, Fany was already standing in front of her.  

“Are you alright?” Fany asked, her brows furrowed.

“Of course.” Yoona lied, trying to sound convincing. But of course Fany was not that stupid. After four years living together, she knew Yoona too well.

“Yoong!” Fany’s voice was higher than before. Yoona sighed and decided to just admit her sadness. With her head down, she walked slowly towards her cousin.

“What happened?” Fany asked, looking concerned.

Yoona’s lips trembled, she went to her embrace and started sobbing. Fany caressed her hair lovingly.

“What happened there? You didn’t get the ticket? Or the registration is closed already?”

“I fail again unnie..” Yoona answered hopelessly. “I should have ended it a long time ago, right? I failed before, but I kept on dreaming about it.”

Fany looked even more confused.

“But.. how can you fail? The competition has not even started yet.”

“New rule.” Yoona said simply.

“What rule? The registration is closed sooner than it’s supposed to be?”

“No.” Yoona immediately answered. “The new rule gives me big disadvantage.” She paused. “The dance competition changes to ballet.”

“That’s great then! You are the best in ballet!” Fany said excitedly, still not quite understand what’s wrong since Yoona didn’t speak clearly about her problem in the first place.

“Not that.. They want accompanist in the performance.”

Fany was silent for a moment, and then her face started to beam. A smile creeped up on her face. Earning a frown from Yoona. How could she smile like that in this situation?

“Are you serious?? That’s it??” Fany started laughing. Much to Yoona’s dissapointment.

“Something’s funny?” Yoona asked curtly.

“You are so funny, Yoong. So that was the reason you were sobbing like that?”

A pout appeared on Yoona’s face as she folded her arms. She couldn’t believe her cousin laughing at her misery like this. Fany finally stopped laughing as she realized Yoona didn’t take her joke that well.

Fany cleared before she spoke.

“Well, I don’t understand what’s so bad about that rule. You can just get an accompanist!” An annoying smile come back to her face. “You are overreacted, really. There are many people you can choose in the music class! You can pick anyone!”

Yoona knew Fany would think like that. Everything might look easy, but it was really not that easy.

“You don’t understand, unnie. I can’t just pick anyone. My accompanist needs to know me and my dance well, so we can work it out together as a team. And he also has to practice with me with high intensity until the day of competition.”

“I’m sure you will find him! I’ll help you. This is not a big deal. Trust me, okay?” Fany put her hands on Yoona’s shoulders.

“Thanks,” Yoona forced a smile. “but.. let’s just forget it okay? We won’t make it.” She said hopelessly. She was on the edge of giving up.

But Fany was not.

“Why are you like this Yoong?? This is not the Yoona I know! Yoona never gives up! You have to fight for--”

“This is absurd.”

“but Yoo—“

“I’ve decided it. How stupid I am to keep staying here just because of Charlotte Theater. I should have gone to Seoul with my parent. I have disappointed them like this. Just because I haven’t achieved my stupid dream.”

“What are you talking about Yoona?!” Fany started shaking her. “You will not talk like that ever again!”

Yoona just stared at her in shock. Shouldn’t it be her that’s supposed to be angry and sad about this?

“We will fight for it! Why are you staying here all this years? I’ll help you! We can do this, we will fight for it together!”

Yoona bit her lips nervously. She started to think otherwise. “But..um..”

“What are you thinking about now?”

“But.. this is impo--”

Fany’s eyes were bulging out now.

“O-okay..” Yoona said finally, there was more fear than confidence in that single word. “But are you... yeah, alright... alright. I’ll try. Thanks, unnie.”

Fany beamed. “I know you’ll get what you always dream of. Don’t give up!”

Despite all the fear and pessimistic, Yoona was glad she had Fany. 

“OH!” Fany suddenly shouted, surprising her. “You know Henry? Henry Lau? He can play violin. Maybe he can be your accompanist. I know him, I always buy groceries at his shop.”

Now Yoona started to doubt about this. Out of all the people, the first one she could think of was Henry? Yoona knew him. He was weird. Like really. When he played violin, he always had an ‘O’ shape on his mouth. Like a fish.

“You don’t have to worry about it, I’ll arrange the selection. We still have times, right?”

“Yeah, sure.” Yoona said, not really sure if this was a good idea.

“I KNOW!!” Fany was shouting again suddenly. What’s with her and all the shouting?

“k-know what?” Yoona asked nervously. As much as she was glad to have her, Yoona wasn’t really fond of her advices.

“KAI! As in Kim Jong-in! OH MY GOD How could we forget him?? I saw him playing violin in the school festival once and he was great! And handsome.. And charming..” Fany folded her hands like she was praying. She had that dreamy expression on her face. Not really sure what was it that she was imagining.

It was weird to see her like this. But it’s weirder if Yoona had to stand side by side with Kai. She knew who Kai was. And he would be the last person she wanted to be her accompanist. He was Kris’ mortal enemy. Like seriously.

“That is not going to happen, unnie. How can I explain it to Kris?” Yoona reminded her. “You know Kai and Kris always fight in the soccer field. They are enemy. I can’t possibly ask him to help me, can I?”

“HOW CAN WE FORGET HIM TOO???”

Yoona felt her heart jumped. Why did she always scream like that?

“Forget who?”

“KRIS! OH GOSH YOONA, KRIS! Did you forget your Kris can play Piano oh so amazingly? Why do we have to look for other people when you have Kris!”

That’s right. How could she forget him? Yoona thought. Kris was a pianist. But.. Yoona sighed as she remembered something.

“No, unnie. Kris is busy. And you know what, Kris hates dancing, especially ballet. There was no ballet, dance, or anything stupid like that on his head. All he knows is just practicing soccer for his very important tournament.”

Fany was still silent. Yoona could see she had not given up yet. About Kris.

“Do you really think a famous soccer captain in Jeju International High School will lessen his practice time just to be my accompanist in my stupid ballet competition?” Yoona tried to knock some sense into her cousin’s head. “Just forget Kris okay? That’s definitely a bad idea.”

“Oh come on Yoong~ just try asking him first! He knows Charlotte Theater is your dream. I’m sure he will be very happy to help you, he loves you!”

But somehow Yoona thought that Kris loved his soccer more than her.

“Now call him and ask him to be your accompanist. And everything will be fine.” Fany looked at her straight in the eyes, as if saying you should do it or I would never take my eyes off of you ever. And we will keep standing in the hallway like this in this awkward situation.

Yoona gave up. “Alright..” She took her cell phone out from her bag. “You know Kris is busy. He may be busier than all students in our high school combined. Should we really call him?” she asked Fany expectantly for the last time before making a call.

“Yes!” Her eyes were sparkling.

Okay.

There’s nothing wrong with trying.

Yoona waited for him to pick up nervously. Instead of Kris’ voice, she was welcomed by a woman voice telling her to leave a message after beep. Yoona showed Fany her cell phone, to tell her there was no answer from him. Yoona had immediately given up but Fany kept forcing her to try again. And again. And again.

“This is the last time, okay?” Yoona decided and Fany nodded. Even though she didn’t really agree about it.

Yoona called him again. Fany now was beside her, glued her ear to the other side of her phone. As if she could hear it.

Yoona almost gave up again. Until finally she heard Kris’ voice.

“hey, babe?” He stammered and out of breath. Like he was just swimming around Jeju Lake for ten laps.

“Kris, are you busy?” Yoona hesitantly asked. She glanced at Fany who was waiting for her to ask him.

“I’m busy practicing for spring tournament right now. You have to come and see! My ball flew to Xiumin’s nose before! It’s fun!” He said excitedly.

“Haha that’s great..” Yoona said awkwardly.

“Quickly! Ask him!” Fany pinched her. Yoona suppressed her scream from the pain and glared at her.

“Babe, are you still there?” Kris asked, it’s so noisy behind him.

“Y-yeah. Um.. Kris.. Actually, I want to ask you something.”

“What is it?” He asked in a hurry.

“Actually--” A long loud sound of whistle stopped her. She could hear clearly the loud screamings behind him, asking him to hurry up.

“Sorry babe I should go! Coach will burn me alive if I don’t go back to practice like right now. I’ll call you later--”

And he hung up.

Yoona stood still with the phone still glued on her ear. Fany looked at her, confused. Her face showed a hundred questions she had not asked. Yet.

“He hung up.” Yoona told her.

“But you haven’t said it!”

“I told you, this is ridiculous. Let’s forget about Kris.” Yoona felt like she lost all her energy. She just wanted to go to her bedroom and lied down on her comfy bed. “I need rest, my head hurt.” She said as she reached for her bag and walked to the stairs.

“But, you still haven’t--”

Her words were stopped when Yoona looked at her with pleading eyes. As if saying ‘enough’.

Fany sighed. “Alright then..”