New School

You and I

"Let's eat," SooWon said. Then she pulled out a chair and sat down.

I waited for my brother-in-law to take his place at the head of the table before claiming the other chair. I didn't realize that i was starving until i saw the big pot of spaghetti to my left. 

"So tomorrow," DaeHo said, loud and cheerful, " we're going to get you registered for school. Your sister won't be able to go with you since she has a business meeting tomorrow, so it’ll just be you and me, and after that, maybe we can go to the ice cream shop next to it. They have really good ice cream there.”

I glanced up. “ I’m going to a new school? What about my old one?”

“It’s out of district,” SooWon said without looking at me. “ And even if we got an exception, its too far. I won’t be able to take you there.”

“I can take the bus. I’m not three year old anymore and it’s mid-semester already. It’s going to be hard for me.”

“It’s okay,” DaeHo said. “ You are a smart girl. I’m sure you can do it. We can get it settle tomorrow.”

“This is for the best. Seoul high school is the best private school in Korea.” SooWon said.

“Seoul high school? Are you serious?”

“What’s wrong with Seoul High school?” DaeHo asked.

“EVERYTHING!” I told him.He looked surprise. “ I mean, it’s not a bad school, but I don’t think I’ll fit in with all the snobby rich people there.”

For the last three years, I’d gone to Bucheon High school. The most ghetto school in all of Korea. It was overcrowded, underfunded, and half of the classes in trailers. Every week, there would be at least 5 fights that broke out. Even though it was a bad school, it was the only place that I was familiar with after moving around so much with my mother.